• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Trev Alberts to Texas A&M

Ok cool, so he sold his soul for money, power, and ego? Yeah great. If that’s what one stands for, so be it. They gotta live with it. Obviously, he learned nothing overall from Tom Osborne.
Loyalty and humility aren’t the commodities they once were. TO was a special guy in that regard. TA is obviously not who I thought he was. Hope he finds happiness in his pursuit of more dollars. Apparently, the idea of turning the football program around at Nebraska wasn’t at the top of his life goals and priorities. Rather shocking development if this is truly just about the quest for materiality. A real wake up call to how much things have changed.

We are in a very tricky position. UNL has about as many students now as it did in 1955. The state of Nebraska has about 3/4 the population of Dallas County, Texas. Omaha and Lincoln are doing okay but are treading water competing with larger cities. If you're not growing you're shrinking and it is tough for a small state in this era.

We're in a great spot in the Big Ten but when Ohio State and Michigan decide they don't want an even split of revenue any more within the conference we will get hit unless we start winning playoff games very soon.

Texas A&M is a better job for an AD. It's a hierarchy. They lost theirs to Ohio State. We lost ours to them. We'll hire someone from a smaller institution that sees Nebraska as a step up. But we're a stepping stone in this era. Not much we can do to change that except keep supporting the team.

Here's hoping Rhule sticks around.

I’m sure there were many reasons, but sometimes things happen behind closed doors at home. After my wife retired she informed me that she wasn’t spending any more winters in the Midwest. So now we live in Arizona.

None of us garden variety fans will ever know for sure why he did it. I guess all we can do it watch from the stands and hope for the best.

Last edited:

We are in a very tricky position. UNL has about as many students now as it did in 1955. The state of Nebraska has about 3/4 the population of Dallas County, Texas. Omaha and Lincoln are doing okay but are treading water competing with larger cities. If you're not growing you're shrinking and it is tough for a small state in this era.

We're in a great spot in the Big Ten but when Ohio State and Michigan decide they don't want an even split of revenue any more within the conference we will get hit unless we start winning playoff games very soon.

Texas A&M is a better job for an AD. It's a hierarchy. They lost theirs to Ohio State. We lost ours to them. We'll hire someone from a smaller institution that sees Nebraska as a step up. But we're a stepping stone in this era. Not much we can do to change that except keep supporting the team.

Just when we thought things were turning around and things were starting to fall into place the unthinkable happens: Trev puts a shiv in from behind. New AD’s like to hire their own guy. Did life just become more stressful for our coaching staff and the great trove of recruit talent we brought into the program? What a terribly dark day this has become.

Having said that, my newest strategy for dealing with this type of bad news is to roll my eyes and then move on. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I wonder if this has anything to do with a certain investigation

Finding the right AD is really hard. Just as hard as finding the right HC for football. This is a huge loss.

I would. 1.7m at NU, probably already well off. Just me, but I wouldn’t have blinked twice about it. I’m already rich, and want MY SCHOOL to get back to respectability. Obviously, he must have learned NOTHING from Osborne. Ego, and power to me, is why he’d leave. Some just never have enough.
Assumption much?

I saw this posted elsewhere:

"Regardless of the issues at the university, Trev chose to put himself above the program. Really disappointing to see a “Husker” abandon the cause. I hope we succeed at resurrecting the program and he doesn’t get to share in that moment. I hope if we fail, he knows he failed his alma mater. I hope he fails at A&M and can’t get a P5 job again. As much as I don’t want to be small and petty, the idea of one of our own abandoning the university, department, program, state and fanbase at a crucial moment of need makes me sick. I do not wish him the best, as he chose himself over us."

My thoughts exactly.

Last edited:
Trev completely burned the boats and bridges with this move. I'm sure he thought it through and decided the move, ultimately, was right for him and his family. But he's basically thrown away his NU ties forever with this.

NU will be fine. We'll find a good AD and I think we have the right coaches in key programs. Trev can pee up a rope from here on out.

Trev completely burned the boats and bridges with this move. I'm sure he thought it through and decided the move, ultimately, was right for him and his family. But he's basically thrown away his NU ties forever with this.

NU will be fine. We'll find a good AD and I think we have the right coaches in key programs. Trev can pee up a rope from here on out.

Totally agree. He was a Husker legend both on and off the field and he has thrown that all away. He is not welcome back as far as I am concerned. Good riddance.

My read is that TA saw the handwriting of the future on the wall; and whatever love for DONU was overcome by a perceived more secure or less risky opportunity (with a higher expected personal payout - risk factor multiplied by payout - that never hurts). The risk factor will be far higher - or different at DONU than aTm - the payout will be much higher at aTm. So expected pay outcome much higher.

I had heard scuttlebutt a few months back that some influential alumni donors were highly negative on the south stadium expansion (which would leverage DONU finances to the hilt) and that they felt the future of the program, any program would be driven by NIL. Then you see coaches like Saban walking away, the BC head coach taking an NFL coordinator job, etc. For people of Trev's age, a bigger payday at a place that they believe they have a greater chance at being successful is the choice. For guys like Saban, well, they decide to walk away. The demographics of DONU and Nebraska are quite poor. Relative age of population, and dependent upon high middle class to buy game tickets and make donations, vs. a handful of crazy rich Texans.

Yes, the Big Ten will be dominated by tOSU, Michigan, PSU and USC. Everyone else will be fighting for scraps. Can DONU do well? Well at best we might get back to where Wisconsin was a few years ago, or a better version of Iowa. But we will be in the dog fight just to make it into the top tier. Staying there will be the real challenge.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back