• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Taiyon Palmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get good grades at UNL and you will do fine. You are either a good student or you are not. So long as NU has his major, he can prep for his career at NU.

If this young man plays division 1 football and keeps a high GPA throughout his college career, he will be accepted to almost any post graduate program..... That much has been proven over and over.

Yes he will get high quality education here! Look at all the explayers who are very successful in life
No offense, but I can't tell if serious or not with this post.

If by successful you mean "make enough money to have a comfortable life and family" then sure. The difference between a educator who goes to Duke and one who goes to UNL may not be noticeable, but the name that Duke has made for itself in that field means the holder of that degree will have additional opportunities. There are many top programs at UNL, but Duke's name is on the national high-school program parents hope that their gifted students are exceptional enough to get invited to join. That's something that UNL doesn't have, and it would be very difficult to replicate.

So yes, there's not a huge difference in undergraduate degrees, but in certain fields some schools just have "the name". If that's important to you as a student, you should definitely listen if they offer you a scholarship. ;) And as football fans, we just have to nod and say "that kid is doing what is best for him, and I hope he invents a cure for cancer or a flying car".

No offense, but I can't tell if serious or not with this post.

If by successful you mean "make enough money to have a comfortable life and family" then sure. The difference between a educator who goes to Duke and one who goes to UNL may not be noticeable, but the name that Duke has made for itself in that field means the holder of that degree will have additional opportunities. There are many top programs at UNL, but Duke's name is on the national high-school program parents hope that their gifted students are exceptional enough to get invited to join. That's something that UNL doesn't have, and it would be very difficult to replicate.

So yes, there's not a huge difference in undergraduate degrees, but in certain fields some schools just have "the name". If that's important to you as a student, you should definitely listen if they offer you a scholarship. ;) And as football fans, we just have to nod and say "that kid is doing what is best for him, and I hope he invents a cure for cancer or a flying car".
I guess it comes down to a person's definition of success.

My six decades of professional experience is a bit more nuanced. I have seen men and women who have undergraduate degrees from night school or community colleges who have continued with their education and have become excellent doctors or lawyers or hedge fund managers and received commercial and professional accolades and rewards. My conclusion is, therefore, that it all depends -- the person who has the ability to succeed and the desire to do so can succeed regardless of the college or university attended. Without that ability and desire, it doesn't matter what college you attend - you won't make it..

Their is a filtering, however, that takes place. Schools such as the Ivies and Duke tend to get more of those who have the ability and desire to succeed, and who are willing to defer present acceptable rewards for greater longer term rewards.

My college and law school are both generally ranked in the top two or three in the country, and I've practiced law in the major metropolitan centers and with the "best" law firms in the world. The best lawyer I encountered did not go to one of the elite schools, but most of the really good ones I have met, did.

UNL gives a young person as fine an opportunity as any -- depends on the person. If playing in big time football at the college level while still looking to the future as a fully developed citizen are the twin goals, then there is absolutely no reason in the world that a recruit should choose a different university because of any fear that UNL would hinder that success.

My six decades of professional experience is a bit more nuanced. I have seen men and women who have undergraduate degrees from night school or community colleges who have continued with their education and have become excellent doctors or lawyers or hedge fund managers and received commercial and professional accolades and rewards. My conclusion is, therefore, that it all depends -- the person who has the ability to succeed and the desire to do so can succeed regardless of the college or university attended. Without that ability and desire, it doesn't matter what college you attend - you won't make it..

Their is a filtering, however, that takes place. Schools such as the Ivies and Duke tend to get more of those who have the ability and desire to succeed, and who are willing to defer present acceptable rewards for greater longer term rewards.

My college and law school are both generally ranked in the top two or three in the country, and I've practiced law in the major metropolitan centers and with the "best" law firms in the world. The best lawyer I encountered did not go to one of the elite schools, but most of the really good ones I have met, did.

UNL gives a young person as fine an opportunity as any -- depends on the person. If playing in big time football at the college level while still looking to the future as a fully developed citizen are the twin goals, then there is absolutely no reason in the world that a recruit should choose a different university because of any fear that UNL would hinder that success.
I agree with this. There are some folks that are just absolute geniuses. but they can not apply it. My nephew got his undergrad through doctorate at UNL. He has been an adjunct Professor for a few years now at UNL. He has also been invited to be a visiting professor at Uni of Chicago and next year at UCLA. Both schools with higher educational ratings then UNL. So he must be a good teacher. However if he was asked to do literally anything else he could not do it. His brain just does not work like other peoples brains. Common Sense stuff just goes right over his head.

In my professional career I have met a lot of people like that. Really Really smart people that can not complete the simplest of tasks. So there are a lot of those folks that never make much money. Think about the movie a beautiful mind. that was a real guy. He had theories that are still used today in the finance community. Do you think he could have worked at a big investment bank? Not a chance the guy was off his nut.

I think to succeed at the highest level, you have to have that "it" factor that not many have. As far as one school over another, I am not sure of and I choose not to prove my ignorance on the issue LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back