• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

No QB Controversy - Sipple article

He's Verduzco's guy.

Don't kid yourself. Frost didn't fly from Florida all the way to California during the UCF Bowl prep to get AM to commit only to have hims sit on the bench.
AM was brought here and was told he would be the man. LM was brought here to take over when AM was gone. Big difference.

Then sprinkle in Frost wanting nothing more than this to be like 96/97 for him so he can tell people to get off their keyboards and let them coach... ya... AMs our guy.

AM was brought here and was told he would be the man. LM was brought here to take over when AM was gone. Big difference.

Then sprinkle in Frost wanting nothing more than this to be like 96/97 for him so he can tell people to get off their keyboards and let them coach... ya... AMs our guy.

But I think he's the man with a big caveat. He needs to be better than he was last year. If he doesn't improve, then he won't be the man anymore. It sounds like some people think he's the starter no matter how he plays.

If he doesn't get it done on the playing field he won't be "the man". A.M. has potential to be a great player, he also has higher than average potential to get injured. The dude could just be a paper tiger, time will tell.

I guess for me, I don't understand how several posters on this board after seeing LM play in a handful of series in basically 3 games say, yeah he has "It". He is better than Martinez.

I watched that first TD run against Colorado in 2018 and said wow AM has "It", but now he doesn't.

If AM really falters a change will be made. AM will be barring injury the stater against Purdue.

Last edited:

If he doesn't get it done on the playing field he won't be "the man". A.M. has potential to be a great player, he also has higher than average potential to get injured. The dude could just be a paper tiger, time will tell.

Can you possibly quantify that for me? I'm interested in the metric used to predict injuries in football as i'm sure many NFL execs and coaches would be using this extensively in their pre-draft planning.

He's Verduzco's guy.

Don't kid yourself. Frost didn't fly from Florida all the way to California during the UCF Bowl prep to get AM to commit only to have him sit on the bench.

I'm shocked by the lack of faith many fans have in the NU coaching staff. To think that SF recruiting a QB by all means possible 2 years ago means that player will start every game of his career automatically, especially when the other choices were also recruited by SF by all means possible seems to imply that SF doesn't care about the results on the field.

Does this also apply to other positions? SF flew to see most of the players he has recruited to NU....how does he decide who is the "chosen" one....by the air miles? By the day of the week? By the inconvenience of the flight? Or is it as simple as "we worked really hard for this player, he gets to start"?

Thoughts? Personally, I think there is a QB Controversy. Luke McCaffrey made a major impression on me last year and I think he deserves a legit shot at the starting position. While I know Martinez was slightly injured, LM has intangibles that AM does not. I'll cheer for either one of them, but this is definitely not a done deal.

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...49e162f6-23bc-53fa-bd27-28b5886a729d.amp.html
All of this praise for LM based on 12 passes. Not 12 completed passes 12 total passes. Also 24 rushing attempts. A good chunk of that against a bad MD team that was already worn out by the time he came in.

I want to be clear here. I am not saying Luke may not be great. Just saying there is not enough evidence yet to verify that he has the right intangibles.

Stop bringing up the facts. Some people want to blame the whole season on Martinez.
It was far from just Martinez. There is a lot of blame to go around. Poor coaching, game management, and lack of fire at times across the board. Way more than just Martinez. That’s the encouraging thing. It wasn’t all a talent mismatch, it was lots of other things that aided in the poor performances.

But I think he's the man with a big caveat. He needs to be better than he was last year. If he doesn't improve, then he won't be the man anymore. It sounds like some people think he's the starter no matter how he plays.
Absolutely. He won't "not be the man" during spring or fall camp though. That would only happen if 2020 started going down the 2019 path in season.

I guess for me, I don't understand how several posters on this board after seeing LM play in a handful of series in basically 3 games say, yeah he has "It". He is better than Martinez.

I watched that first TD run against Colorado in 2018 and said wow AM has "It", but now he doesn't.

If AM really falters a change will be made. AM will be barring injury the stater against Purdue.
I don't think people have watched him complete a throw downfield from in the pocket. He also had a trimmed down playbook compared to AM. I love his play making ability, but we really saw a minimal amount of him to start thinking he is who needs to start over a preseason heisman candidate in 2019. Basically like thinking Stuntz needed to take over for Crouch after watching his throw against Oklahoma in 2001.

I don't think people have watched him complete a throw downfield from in the pocket. He also had a trimmed down playbook compared to AM. I love his play making ability, but we really saw a minimal amount of him to start thinking he is who needs to start over a preseason heisman candidate in 2019. Basically like thinking Stuntz needed to take over for Crouch after watching his throw against Oklahoma in 2001.

I completely agree. I think LM should have a role on this team next year, other than just back up QB. He is too athletic to not see the field for 10 or so snaps a game. If nothing else it give defenses something to think about. Let him run wildcat, let him run reverses, let him run reverse passes, let catch passes. Heck let him return punts if he is the best we have.

For the record, I think a lot of Martinez's issues were his offseason development (or lack thereof), was he really didn't do much in 2019 spring due to not having his pieces. Mo Washington was gone, Dedrick Mills wasn't here, Wandale Robinson was out most of spring, didn't want to get JD banged up. Brody Belt and Jaylin Bradley were the leading rushers in the spring game, Todd Honas and Miles Jones were leading receivers.

Good teams get better in the offseason, not stay the same or regress.

I completely agree. I think LM should have a role on this team next year, other than just back up QB. He is too athletic to not see the field for 10 or so snaps a game. If nothing else it give defenses something to think about. Let him run wildcat, let him run reverses, let him run reverse passes, let catch passes. Heck let him return punts if he is the best we have.
Yep, get some packages for him whether that's minimal plays at QB, or get him in at WR/RB. Curious about him as a returner too. He will have an increased role this year for sure not needing to worry about preserving the redshirt.

I think there will be open competition once the Purdue game starts in the fall. But it will be AM vs himself. If he doesn't produce then it's McCaffrey or Smothers time. Until then, we will get such things as "every position people are battling for a starting job" and other speak like that. Our staff is going to do everything this offseason to get back confident AM that showed up before and during the 2018 season.

I truly hope that is the case and others get a fair shake if in fact AM falters early in the season.

@LarstheRed -- I believe he should absolutely get a shot at redeeming himself. He should be the starter Game #1. But if the 2019 version of AM rears his ugly head again, he psyche should not be coddled at the expense of the team.

I'm just hoping we see a more refined 2018 version of AM. But we will see.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back