• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

No QB Controversy - Sipple article

BigRedOhio

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
Thoughts? Personally, I think there is a QB Controversy. Luke McCaffrey made a major impression on me last year and I think he deserves a legit shot at the starting position. While I know Martinez was slightly injured, LM has intangibles that AM does not. I'll cheer for either one of them, but this is definitely not a done deal.

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...49e162f6-23bc-53fa-bd27-28b5886a729d.amp.html

Thoughts? Personally, I think there is a QB Controversy. Luke McCaffrey made a major impression on me last year and I think he deserves a legit shot at the starting position. While I know Martinez was slightly injured, LM has intangibles that AM does not. I'll cheer for either one of them, but this is definitely not a done deal.

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...49e162f6-23bc-53fa-bd27-28b5886a729d.amp.html
It’s a done deal all the way. Martinez is Frosts guy. The only way he doesn’t start is if he is abducted by aliens.

Last edited:
It’s a done deal all the way. Martinez is Frosts guy. The only way he doesn’t start is if he is abducted by aliens.
While I agree, AM is Frost guy, there will come a point in time when he'll have no choice. I hope AM has a great year and gets the job done, but LM is a very real threat to take over the position.

Yeah, not really buying what Sipple is saying here. I think most fans are ok with a healthy Martinez starting game 1. If he gets hurt again, and he probably will since football is football, he's going to have to learn to play through injuries a lot better for me to want him out there consistently. I like his potential, but he needs to start producing better, put the easier throws on target almost all the time, make better reads, and run more decisively when there's a decent open lane to take off.

LM and Smothers are Frost guys too. A lot of people giving LM too much credit for limited playing time on specifically designed plays for him. I am not saying he wont be special, but keep in mind he may not even end up as a QB. Smothers could wow everyone and, LM could end up at WR. Point is that it's way too soon to be anointing him(or anyone else) as we did with Frankie London, Harrison Beck, Joe Daily, Jordan Adams etc. I think it will be a true competition this year, but I expect AM to win it and not because he is a "Frost" guy.

I am pretty Martinez will be starting at the beginning of the year. The reason is that I don't think McCaffrey is better than AM. I think his body of work is too small to make any determination.

Now if LM looks head and shoulders above AM than sure start him, but I don't think he is going to look better.

I do think they should get LM on the field in some capacity in every game. He is to athletic to have sitting on the bench. He needs to touch the ball 4-5 times a game.

Wow, you guys are harsh. Sip tries to calm the seas, and you guys are throwing grenades.

I think AM was more than "slightly" injured last year. And I don't think he's Frost's guy any more than LM or NV. We just didn't have a lot of healthy options for most of the games.

I'm willing to wait and see how the coaches play it this year. Coaches who actually know what's going on.

First game? Certainly, and I doubt there would be enough of a body of work to pull the cord on a 2 year starter. If the suggestion is Frost wouldn’t make a change if AM looks as bad as last year, I think some folks aren’t familiar with what a cut throat competitor our coach is. He’s obviously not jerking guys with every hiccup, but he’s not going to allow the season to crash to protect AM.

Sipple's job is to sell news papers. I don't know much about "straw polls" or other inside information about NU football. But, I have been around the program as a fan since 1970 and have many discussions with other fans and my take is that Martinez is not getting a lot of love or kindness from the base. He may well be Frost's "golden boy" (which is really too bad, IMO) but there are others who could very well step up and have an impact. Martinez has been a turnover machine. He will need to clean up his act in that regard if he wants to be the number one guy. His performance vs expectation, last year, was very disappointing.

Last edited:
LM and Smothers are Frost guys too. A lot of people giving LM too much credit for limited playing time on specifically designed plays for him. I am not saying he wont be special, but keep in mind he may not even end up as a QB. Smothers could wow everyone and, LM could end up at WR. Point is that it's way too soon to be anointing him(or anyone else) as we did with Frankie London, Harrison Beck, Joe Daily, Jordan Adams etc. I think it will be a true competition this year, but I expect AM to win it and not because he is a "Frost" guy.
Frankie London, Joe Dailey and Jordan Adams ... never were anointed.

Yes - Harrison Beck, Johnny Stanton, Curt Dukes, Patrick O'Brien.

Difference between the first group and the second was their recruiting rankings - enhanced at times by the coaching changes that coincided with their arrival.

Completely agree. LM's intangibles are much like McKenzie Milton. Just has a knack for seeing things a bit better.

I think so too.Huge SF fan,but if the best player at any position isn’t starting,then maybe we have a coaching problem. I truly believe that Frost is the man to get it done,but can’t have favorites.Jmo.Keep the faith.GBR.

Then he should not have played until he was healthy.

I don't care if a 75% healthy Am was better than any of the other backups ... a 75% healthy AM gets us a 5-7 record!

So in other words, you would have preferred NU play someone not as good as a 75% AM in an effort to be better than 5-7. Interesting take, i'm sure many coaches haven't thought of playing the poorer option at a position might lead to a better record. Does that apply to all positions?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back