• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

No QB Controversy - Sipple article

AM was brought here and was told he would be the man. LM was brought here to take over when AM was gone. Big difference.

Then sprinkle in Frost wanting nothing more than this to be like 96/97 for him so he can tell people to get off their keyboards and let them coach... ya... AMs our guy.
The Purdue game will determine a lot about who QB’s this team moving forward. AM will get the start however if he continues to short hop sideline passes and is tentative to run things will change.

The Purdue game will determine a lot about who QB’s this team moving forward. AM will get the start however if he continues to short hop sideline passes and is tentative to run things will change.
I think he will need to lose two of the first four games before Scott will make a change. If he gets thru the first four games then I think Scott will stick with him thru all the rest of the season barring injury.

I think he will need to lose two of the first four games before Scott will make a change. If he gets thru the first four games then I think Scott will stick with him thru all the rest of the season barring injury.
I’m looking forward to an improved swing pass

I don't know if HCSF will do that based on the past two years. HCSF seems to think he can't win with anyone but Martinez. I think we would have done better [W-L] had Martinez been benched last season until he was 100%. At the least we would have a second QB with playing experience this season.
QB development is key IMO.
Now, if Martinez gets injured again, we may be in the same situation as the last two years. Not playing someone else [QB] puts us at risk again.
I hope he's 100% now. We need our best [healthy] QB playing to turn around our last 3 loosing seasons!

"It all comes down to how good Adrian Martinez is. If he’s great in Year Three, the offense should finally be what Husker fans have been waiting for with the potential of ten starters returning."

Last edited:
if am struggles in first half against purdue then no more excuses for am. luke, luke, luke or smothers brother. get the gloves off and try and find out what we have. young guys surprise and/or experience makes comebacks every year. we dont really know what we have at this point but myself, i am not ready to loose 5-7 games trying to find out again and again and again.

Many are expecting the Purdue game to be like an audition or test for AM. Let’s hope our coaches are smart enough to pick the best guy based on spring and fall camps.

I'm hoping that the extra depth at QB (and most other positions as well) will lead to some healthy competition in spring and fall camp, and also help open up the offense. As they say, "desire to excel with no fear of failure."

I felt like our lack of depth last year created a "fear to excel" (or just to take chances) which led to failure.

Just a hypothetical, but let's say AM still is making the same mistakes in reading coverage or making the wrong reads on zone reads during spring and fall camp, and McCaffrey or Vedral is just killing it. Is AM still the starters for week 1?
I still have confidence in AM and think he'll be better than last year or his freshman year.

No. Everything I have ever heard about Scott Frost indicates that he is ultra-competitive. Ultra-competitive people will do whatever it takes to win.

Jammal Lord would've played in the NFL if he would've played safety rather than QB. Same for Crouch and at a WR position.

One of the longest serving Huskers in the NFL - Pat Fischer - played QB in college in safety in the NFL!
Different eras. Most kids won't do that today. Too easy for them to move on.

Well, just speaking offensively first of all. A couple things.
- Returning starters
- Deep and more experienced QB room
- 2 tall, big bodied WR coming in, one with experience beyond high school
- Injury bug will probably be less, at least that's my hope
- New OC and faith in Frost's offense
- Outside of the Maryland game, seems the ball always bounced the other teams way, I don't see that trend continuing
- Offense has nowhere to go but up after last year
- Rose colored glasses?
I always find it interesting when the fans like to blame Martinez for our 5-7 season but when pressed to give reasons why our offense will be better they come up with all kinds of other deficiencies they think we will improve on.

I always find it interesting when the fans like to blame Martinez for our 5-7 season but when pressed to give reasons why our offense will be better they come up with all kinds of other deficiencies they think we will improve on.
Uhhh, where did I blame Martinez? He is part of the QB room I listed for a reason of optimism. I post reasons our offense will improve next year yet I'm being negative?! :O O:

Different eras. Most kids won't do that today. Too easy for them to move on.
Yes - too easy to move on ... I'm talking about being realistic to your skill set. I will give you Kelly Bryant as an example. Here's a kid - starter at Clemson until Trevor Lawrence showed up. Transferred to Missouri so he could play QB. Good for him - but Kelly Bryant is not going to play QB in the NFL. If he believes or is surrounded by people who believe that he will be playing in the NFL as a QB then they have a huge case of rose-colored-glasses.

Now if Kelly Bryant is satisfied with being a P5 starting QB and prepared to move on from that after graduation then great - more power to him. Not even sure if this is a possibility but - If he considered another position and had the athleticism and physical characteristics to move to another position that gave him greater odds of making the NFL then shouldn't he consider that (if the NFL is his ultimate primary goal)?

And yes - Bryant is at the combine as a QB but his draft grade is extremely low with a likely scenario of him being a free agent at best.

I'm talking about being realistic to your skill set.
You make perfectly valid points, but I'm talking about being realistic about how realistic 18-23 years olds are. Most of them are not willing to play a position other than what they've probably played their whole life. I'd bet dollars to donuts that most skill position player who want to play at the next level want to get there playing the position they've played their whole life.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back