• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

No QB Controversy - Sipple article

Jammal Lord would've played in the NFL if he would've played safety rather than QB. Same for Crouch and at a WR position.

One of the longest serving Huskers in the NFL - Pat Fischer - played QB in college in safety in the NFL!

Actually Jamal Lord did play 2 years in the NFL as a safety. Didn't play much but made a team for 2 years.

If that’s the case, he’d better be head and shoulders better than anyone else on campus. If not, the coaches aren’t doing their jobs.

Do we honestly think Scott Frost won't start the players he thinks gives the team the best chance to win? He may like AM a lot, but if he's not getting it done, he will sit on the bench and someone else will play.

If that’s the case, he’d better be head and shoulders better than anyone else on campus. If not, the coaches aren’t doing their jobs.

He just can't be worse (or injured) for a prolonged period. Otherwise, there is no quarterback competition for #1 on the depth chart. And Frost isn't interested in quarterback controversy. There is none unless Martinez sucks.

I don't know if this is the best approach or not -- but people with more connections and qualifications than me convinced me this is how it is -- and I believe it.

I don't know if Frost is doing his job or is even a good coach. We'll know a lot more with the direction and future of this team this season. I'm excited!

If you haven't noticed the guy is always injured. He certainly seems prone to injury. Some players just are.

OK, so to quantify, you are saying it is "always". Seems a bit overboard when he has played two years at NU and missed about 3 games? I can only imagine how good he will be when he isn't injured. I would say his freshman year will be a pale imitation of what he can really accomplish if he is ever healthy.

How many QBs are satisfied with playing a postion other than QB? If, and I have no way of knowing whether or not this is the case, a QB doesn't think he's getting a fair shot at starting and he's asked to start playing receiver (or whatever) that guy is not happy. This day and age that's a beckoning call from the transfer portal. If McCaffrey wants to be a QB, that's where he should be getting his reps, IMO. Let him have the max opportunity to get better.

I don't doubt Frost would replace Martinez should AM play below his potential. I do believe, though, Frost's judgement is clouded by Martinez's perceived ceiling and he'll be fairly slow to recognize if the time comes to bench AM. The last person to know when someone is cheating is the spouse because love is blind. Loyalty can be blind too. As an aside, has Frost ever said no one loses his job because of injury? That may be clouding the issue too.

I agree McCaffrey's sample size is small. I will say during those few times, and the same with Vedral, the offense looked like it was supposed to. It also hummed at times with Martinez at the helm but with his larger"sample size" it should have been obvious more often that he was "the man," IMO.

This argument would hold more water had NU actually won any of the games AM didn't start.

Do we honestly think Scott Frost won't start the players he thinks gives the team the best chance to win? He may like AM a lot, but if he's not getting it done, he will sit on the bench and someone else will play.
I never said he was. He probably is, but last year raised a few eyebrows that’s for sure.

He just can't be worse (or injured) for a prolonged period. Otherwise, there is no quarterback competition for #1 on the depth chart. And Frost isn't interested in quarterback controversy. There is none unless Martinez sucks.

I don't know if this is the best approach or not -- but people with more connections and qualifications than me convinced me this is how it is -- and I believe it.

I don't know if Frost is doing his job or is even a good coach. We'll know a lot more with the direction and future of this team this season. I'm excited!
So what you’re saying is, unless another QB is significantly better, he won’t be playing because Martinez is still here and only a junior?

Last edited:
OK, so to quantify, you are saying it is "always". Seems a bit overboard when he has played two years at NU and missed about 3 games? I can only imagine how good he will be when he isn't injured. I would say his freshman year will be a pale imitation of what he can really accomplish if he is ever healthy.
How many games has he played without injury? How many games has he played well injured?

Actually Jamal Lord did play 2 years in the NFL as a safety. Didn't play much but made a team for 2 years.
I stand corrected ... slightly.

Professional career[edit]
Lord played in the NFL for the Houston Texans for two seasons starting in 2004 as a backup safety. He only played in one game which was during his rookie year.[5] After being waived on July 24, 2006 by the Texans, Lord found a connection with the Indianapolis Colts. However, he was unable to make the final cut that season as Lord was waived on August 28, 2006.[6]

He finished his pro football career playing wide receiver and cornerback for the Indoor Football League's Abilene Ruff Riders in 2007.

The pressure is AM problem and teams can put on the pressure and he panics. He is not durable based on his last three seasons he played. I honestly think it was more than injuries last year. If Frost stays with AM and we keep losing it will be tuff to watch. I think we have less experience and many unknown this season. I am thinking we have some talent but it is small and not durable. Mills is a weapon but I do not have faith they will pound the rock.

Just a hypothetical, but let's say AM still is making the same mistakes in reading coverage or making the wrong reads on zone reads during spring and fall camp, and McCaffrey or Vedral is just killing it. Is AM still the starters for week 1?
I still have confidence in AM and think he'll be better than last year or his freshman year.
That's tough to answer because I think you are asking me "what if AM is a different player." I know that's not exactly what you are getting at but basically our staff has seen him not do that, so they are holding out hope he can get back to that.

A healthy QB should be taking snaps. Not an unhealthy one. How do we know a Vedral or McCaffrey with a couple more starts under their belt couldn't have improved?

We lived with Taylor Martinez playing less than 100%. How’d that turn out? We have a deep and stacked QB room. Every opportunity needs to be given to playing the entire playbook. AM is the most experienced QB we have and deserves the first opportunity to lead the team out of the tunnel against Purdue. But a less than 100% AM or anyone at QB limits the teams options.
Actually we had 9 win seasons under a TM playing less than 100%. If you think you can staff an entire team of quality players at 100% you are kidding yourself. People are always banged up. As far as McCaffrey getting a few more starts? Seriously? First of all he was limited with the red shirt rule and secondly if every opportunity needs to be given the entire playbook then he wasn't the answer. As was mentioned by Scott Frost. They got him ready for a few select plays and series. As far as your question of how I don't know that those two with more starts under their belt couldn't improve? I don't and either do you. Both of us need to rely on the people who watch them every day instead of wildly speculating that the coaches don't have a clue by starting Martinez.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back