• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

No QB Controversy - Sipple article

I think so too.Huge SF fan,but if the best player at any position isn’t starting,then maybe we have a coaching problem. I truly believe that Frost is the man to get it done,but can’t have favorites.Jmo.Keep the faith.GBR.

So NU didn't start the best QB last year?

Thoughts? Personally, I think there is a QB Controversy. Luke McCaffrey made a major impression on me last year and I think he deserves a legit shot at the starting position. While I know Martinez was slightly injured, LM has intangibles that AM does not. I'll cheer for either one of them, but this is definitely not a done deal.

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...49e162f6-23bc-53fa-bd27-28b5886a729d.amp.html
great newspaper salesmenship. Discuss a quarterback controversy that the author suggests doesn't exist.
I hope every year there is a "controversy" meaning no job is a lock regardless of who recruited who. Open competition is great for the game.

Then he should not have played until he was healthy.

I don't care if a 75% healthy Am was better than any of the other backups ... a 75% healthy AM gets us a 5-7 record!

Actually AM gets us 5-5 last year. Two of the losses he didn't play in. Vedral started both of those games.

Actually AM gets us 5-5 last year. Two of the losses he didn't play in. Vedral started both of those games.
Not sure who gets us what record. Didn't see AM aiming for the goalposts on some of those snaps. I think who ever starts benefits from a much improved and experienced offensive line. Far better read then the Sip rag IMO was the Greg Austin comments about the returning offensive line.

If he's the starter its because he's the best option and not because he's Frost's guy.
Blind eye says not. Hard for Frost to bench "his guy" with all the hype that went on concerning AM's "potential." Potential is for the newspapers and frosty mug conversations. Potential doesn't mean squat on the field.

Martinez will be the starter as long as he is healthy because he is, by a wide margin, the best QB on our roster. I bet he puts up some pretty good stats this season, too.

I don’t know anything about Smothers’ mental intangibles, like ability to rapidly process, mental edge, etc. But, if he has that, I wouldn’t be shocked if he overtakes Luke on the depth chart by next spring. His highlight tape sticks out big time.

Last edited:

Then he should not have played until he was healthy.

I don't care if a 75% healthy Am was better than any of the other backups ... a 75% healthy AM gets us a 5-7 record!
This doesn't even make sense. If at 75% he is better than the backups......what are you suggesting? That we play a backup and go 3-9? I know your response will be that we don't know for sure that we would have lost 2 more with another QB. Well stop suggesting that the 5-7 was on Martinez. I saw a lot of bad play last year by almost EVERY position group. A 100% Martinez can't overcome bad tackling, bad blocking, and poor play calling.

So in other words, you would have preferred NU play someone not as good as a 75% AM in an effort to be better than 5-7. Interesting take, i'm sure many coaches haven't thought of playing the poorer option at a position might lead to a better record. Does that apply to all positions?
A healthy QB should be taking snaps. Not an unhealthy one. How do we know a Vedral or McCaffrey with a couple more starts under their belt couldn't have improved?

We lived with Taylor Martinez playing less than 100%. How’d that turn out? We have a deep and stacked QB room. Every opportunity needs to be given to playing the entire playbook. AM is the most experienced QB we have and deserves the first opportunity to lead the team out of the tunnel against Purdue. But a less than 100% AM or anyone at QB limits the teams options.

This doesn't even make sense. If at 75% he is better than the backups......what are you suggesting? That we play a backup and go 3-9? I know your response will be that we don't know for sure that we would have lost 2 more with another QB. Well stop suggesting that the 5-7 was on Martinez. I saw a lot of bad play last year by almost EVERY position group. A 100% Martinez can't overcome bad tackling, bad blocking, and poor play calling.
Lmao who ran the last play of the game on offense and what did that guy do with the ball on the last play he had?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back