• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

No QB Controversy - Sipple article

I agree Martinez will be starter if for nothing else, we lost every game he didn't start. I would like to see Luke get on the field in some capacity. The kid is a gamer!

Absolutely. He won't "not be the man" during spring or fall camp though. That would only happen if 2020 started going down the 2019 path in season.

Just a hypothetical, but let's say AM still is making the same mistakes in reading coverage or making the wrong reads on zone reads during spring and fall camp, and McCaffrey or Vedral is just killing it. Is AM still the starters for week 1?
I still have confidence in AM and think he'll be better than last year or his freshman year.

Can you possibly quantify that for me? I'm interested in the metric used to predict injuries in football as i'm sure many NFL execs and coaches would be using this extensively in their pre-draft planning.

If you haven't noticed the guy is always injured. He certainly seems prone to injury. Some players just are.

Just a hypothetical, but let's say AM still is making the same mistakes in reading coverage or making the wrong reads on zone reads during spring and fall camp, and McCaffrey or Vedral is just killing it. Is AM still the starters for week 1?
I still have confidence in AM and think he'll be better than last year or his freshman year.
If the things you state are happening then ... For me - he starts the Purdue game with a very short leash.

I think the opposite was going on this last year. AM had been blowing it up in fall practice and spring ball. No doubt he was head and shoulders better than the rest. (Even at <100%) 2018 there was no pressure for us in the games. None. No one thought we'd do well. AM had no pressure on his shoulders. "Just go ball out". 2019 comes around...the hype...the heisman crap, etc... Pressures on. Once the game starts...somethings in his head switched off. He didn't "ball". Yet, the next week in practice plays lights out... He needs to learn to keep that switch on and handle the pressure. If not, next guy up.

I think the opposite was going on this last year. AM had been blowing it up in fall practice and spring ball. No doubt he was head and shoulders better than the rest. (Even at <100%) 2018 there was no pressure for us in the games. None. No one thought we'd do well. AM had no pressure on his shoulders. "Just go ball out". 2019 comes around...the hype...the heisman crap, etc... Pressures on. Once the game starts...somethings in his head switched off. He didn't "ball". Yet, the next week in practice plays lights out... He needs to learn to keep that switch on and handle the pressure. If not, next guy up.

I think there were lots of factors involved. I don't think he was 100% healthy. The line play and poor snaps didn't help. The lack of a consistent running game early on didn't help. The lack of consistent receiving threats outside JD and Wandale didn't help. And AM didn't help himself with some terrible decision making and poor reads. Add all that up, and we all know what we saw most of the year out of the offense.
Here's hoping to a much better 2020, regardless of who the starting QB is.

I think there were lots of factors involved. I don't think he was 100% healthy. The line play and poor snaps didn't help. The lack of a consistent running game early on didn't help. The lack of consistent receiving threats outside JD and Wandale didn't help. And AM didn't help himself with some terrible decision making and poor reads. Add all that up, and we all know what we saw most of the year out of the offense.
It was like being in quicksand.

(Cue "The Replacements")

Luke looked pretty good in the extremely limited action we saw. That being said, there is a lot less pressure to come in and play loose when you know the job is not even yours to lose. He was playing with house money, and running a limited number of plays that were likely tailored to his strengths.

How many QBs are satisfied with playing a postion other than QB? If, and I have no way of knowing whether or not this is the case, a QB doesn't think he's getting a fair shot at starting and he's asked to start playing receiver (or whatever) that guy is not happy. This day and age that's a beckoning call from the transfer portal. If McCaffrey wants to be a QB, that's where he should be getting his reps, IMO. Let him have the max opportunity to get better.

I don't doubt Frost would replace Martinez should AM play below his potential. I do believe, though, Frost's judgement is clouded by Martinez's perceived ceiling and he'll be fairly slow to recognize if the time comes to bench AM. The last person to know when someone is cheating is the spouse because love is blind. Loyalty can be blind too. As an aside, has Frost ever said no one loses his job because of injury? That may be clouding the issue too.

I agree McCaffrey's sample size is small. I will say during those few times, and the same with Vedral, the offense looked like it was supposed to. It also hummed at times with Martinez at the helm but with his larger"sample size" it should have been obvious more often that he was "the man," IMO.

Luke looked pretty good in the extremely limited action we saw. That being said, there is a lot less pressure to come in and play loose when you know the job is not even yours to lose. He was playing with house money, and running a limited number of plays that were likely tailored to his strengths.
A+ in spelling!

How many QBs are satisfied with playing a postion other than QB? If, and I have no way of knowing whether or not this is the case, a QB doesn't think he's getting a fair shot at starting and he's asked to start playing receiver (or whatever) that guy is not happy. This day and age that's a beckoning call from the transfer portal. If McCaffrey wants to be a QB, that's where he should be getting his reps, IMO. Let him have the max opportunity to get better.
Jammal Lord would've played in the NFL if he would've played safety rather than QB. Same for Crouch and at a WR position.

One of the longest serving Huskers in the NFL - Pat Fischer - played QB in college in safety in the NFL!

Last edited:

This is my thinking. Not only was he hurt, by the time the other QB's were deemed ready to play they got hurt as well. I think it just snowballed and that he needs to come back refreshed and with a cleared head.

Agree there's no QB controversy now, but it is still a competition and he'll have to show he can get it done in the Spring and Fall

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back