• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Hey! Phissssst everybody come over here! SHHHHH! I have a secret!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wow, thats not true at all. There was still a massive buzz back before the rivals, scout etc of the world blossomed. The difference there wasnt a platform to google over them like there is now. Heck the OWH used to do small bios of the recruits before you could just go to a website and look it up yourself. Just because you didnt follow it then doesnt mean the rest of the living world didnt follow it either...

If you liked it better the other way, youre in complete control to have it that way.

While I agree with you that the demand for information was there, I think it is fair to say that the cottage industry around recruiting has grown from meeting a demand for information to creating a "market for controversy".

Where the world herald may have had bios about recruits, the internet sources have an "real time" ranking system. Not even Lemming and the other "pioneers in HS scouting" published more than annually.

Creating all this year around buzz around recruiting really has changed the whole dynamic. I don't necessarily have a problem with that, except to the extent people start to see these recruiting services as the NYTs or WSJ rather than TMZ.

One of the major flaws in the entire recruiting coverage system is that the only sources are the kids themselves. They can tell recruiting services whatever they want (e.g., offer lists and interest levels from coaches), but there's real way of verifying that.

I have friends who coach in the SEC and ACC, and all have mentioned times when they hear about some player being offered by their schools that they (and their HCs) haven't even heard of.

So I guess I just take the 24/7 coverage with a large grain of salt.

The other problem with the ranking system is that they don't really have ties, even though a spread of up to X in the point system might be statistically even. It's basically a "small numbers" problem.

What is really the difference between the #15 class and the #40 class? Maybe nothing. Maybe a ton.

Assigning metrics to this stuff to create an artificial "ranking" really is silly, imo.

Plus, these services know where their bread is buttered. For the most part, they are going to feed the fan bases of their largest subscribers. It'd be interesting to see Rivals subscriptions #'s ranked by team.

The other problem with the ranking system is that they don't really have ties, even though a spread of up to X in the point system might be statistically even. It's basically a "small numbers" problem.

What is really the difference between the #15 class and the #40 class? Maybe nothing. Maybe a ton.

Assigning metrics to this stuff to create an artificial "ranking" really is silly, imo.

Plus, these services know where their bread is buttered. For the most part, they are going to feed the fan bases of their largest subscribers. It'd be interesting to see Rivals subscriptions #'s ranked by team.
Again, I tend to agree with you. I don't give the rankings much credence, but I do use the services to keep track of which kids we're going after and how they fit into the mosaic of the team.

By and large, I trust that Pelini and his coaches know which players they want, which ones they can get, and they work pretty tirelessly to fill their roster with kids who want to play in Lincoln.

Why do we think he's doing a great job? Just because of the sudden number of verbals? We are 32nd rated on Rivals as far as average stars. Obviously stars aren't EVERYTHING, but they prove consistently to mean a lot. Seem to me we are doing average at best w/ our class this year.

That said it is nice to see 3 of the last 4 verbals got offers from a lot of top programs.
If you rank all 120 programs in FBS, and then divide the total by 120, you get an average ranking of 60. If you want to expand that mathematical range to encompass the middle ten, twenty, thirty, or even forty, what you will find that the Huskers are nowhere to be found among the average group of classes ranked for this year.

No, we're not top twenty yet, but we are far closer than many thought we would be, and there are any number of programs ranked ahead of us with more verbals and yet a lower average star rating.

I think the staff is doing an excellent job thus far, and it promises to get still better.

Programs don't spend all that money to just get a verbal, they spend the money to get the guy to sign the contract.. Recruiting sites are for the fans.. Often times just playing and winning does bring players to you, but you still have to convince them to SIGN THE CONTRACT... and until they do it doesn't mean much.

I didn't respond the first time because it was literally a silly couple questions. No offense meant!!

There, I answered yours.. Now, what about the question I asked you? You say it was already answered, but humor me and answer again.

No offense taken.

But dude you are trying to hard.. Programs of course want them to sign a contract, but also to get verbals before February. Don't kid yourself. If I can get a verbal from Joe Football then maybe a certain amount of you competition for him will back off a bit. Maybe that verbal will cause another player whom he is in contact with through a various social media outlet, whom you also would want, will commit. On the flip side it could cause certain prospects to go another direction. Recruiting is a crap shoot more times than not, but you can't win anything if you aren't rolling the dice. In other words, if a coach isn't trying to get a commit (verbal) until February, then what is he doing, hanging out? Verbals have much value in the process, even if you don't care for them, as they create and eliminate certain issues.

To answer your question:
Just like draft picks can be cut/released/traded/etc before the season, recruits can de-commit and recommit before signing day. The more talented each has showcased it self, the more value of a pick or recruit that player is. And losing either, will hurt the depth of your roster/program/franchise because of the time, commitment, or $$ (in the pros) invest in getting said player to become apart of your roster. You aren't going to stop drafting players for fear they may not pan out as you hoped.....just like you aren't going to disregard verbals for fear they might change their mind.

Verbal provides hope and a vision of what the future of your program may become.....that alone gives it some value

If you rank all 120 programs in FBS, and then divide the total by 120, you get an average ranking of 60. If you want to expand that mathematical range to encompass the middle ten, twenty, thirty, or even forty, what you will find that the Huskers are nowhere to be found among the average group of classes ranked for this year.

No, we're not top twenty yet, but we are far closer than many thought we would be, and there are any number of programs ranked ahead of us with more verbals and yet a lower average star rating.

I think the staff is doing an excellent job thus far, and it promises to get still better.

I agree that on paper the recruiting has gotten better, but it's still not great and hasn't been for several years. That said, it doesn't mean they can't be great on the field and that's what really counts. Bo has yet to prove that, as well. If he's really growing like everyone thinks he is then next year should be the breakout season...cautiously skeptimistic. Come to think of it, I said the exact same thing before last season...hmmm.

No offense taken.

But dude you are trying to hard.. Programs of course want them to sign a contract, but also to get verbals before February. Don't kid yourself. If I can get a verbal from Joe Football then maybe a certain amount of you competition for him will back off a bit. Maybe that verbal will cause another player whom he is in contact with through a various social media outlet, whom you also would want, will commit. On the flip side it could cause certain prospects to go another direction. Recruiting is a crap shoot more times than not, but you can't win anything if you aren't rolling the dice. In other words, if a coach isn't trying to get a commit (verbal) until February, then what is he doing, hanging out? Verbals have much value in the process, even if you don't care for them, as they create and eliminate certain issues.

To answer your question:
Just like draft picks can be cut/released/traded/etc before the season, recruits can de-commit and recommit before signing day. The more talented each has showcased it self, the more value of a pick or recruit that player is. And losing either, will hurt the depth of your roster/program/franchise because of the time, commitment, or $$ (in the pros) invest in getting said player to become apart of your roster. You aren't going to stop drafting players for fear they may not pan out as you hoped.....just like you aren't going to disregard verbals for fear they might change their mind.

Verbal provides hope and a vision of what the future of your program may become.....that alone gives it some value

Now who is kidding themselves? ;)

Anyway, we just disagree on certain parts of this argument. I understand a verbal is the start, but I also understand, in this day and age, verbals mean nothing. Players can change their mind without cause and affect.

Ok, I'll stop on this subject now..

there are any number of programs ranked ahead of us with more verbals and yet a lower average star rating.

1 - I said we are #32 in average stars.
2 - How do you figured it's an excellent job? "excellent in all areas"? ;) By all indications the results seem to be average at best.

Last edited:

1 - I said we are #32 in average stars.
2 - How do you figured it's an excellent job? "excellent in all areas"? ;) By all indications the results seem to be average at best.

The spread between #32 and top 15 is .33 stars.

If NU's two 2 star recruits were given one more star each or were both dropped from the list, NU's average would rise close to top 15.

Do you see the inherent silliness of trying to make a point using the recruiting ranking, especially "average star" rankings?

The margins are so much thinner than the rankings make it appear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back