• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Hey! Phissssst everybody come over here! SHHHHH! I have a secret!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With about a 120 different programs being ranked being at #32 is not average.....just sayin'.

In terms of sheer numbers you are correct. When compared to the number of teams that actually have any shot at winning a MNC (or BCS conference championship) it's pretty average/below average. Isn't winning championships what NU is supposed to be about?

I'm talking about every year w/ Bo at HC. We came close to not underachieving maybe ONE year....09. Even then I don't think we beat anyone that we weren't the favorite....but still lost to ISU. We rarely if ever beat anyone we aren't suppose to, but routinely do the opposite. Then you have the blowouts...

We were thin at QB this year as we were at OL last year. That's on the coaches/recruiting.

Gator Bowl vs Clemson
OU '09
Mizzou '10
MSU '11
PSU '11
UM '12

Each of those I believe we were underdogs.

That is true, but we should not consider a good portion of those as competition.. so it really isn't 120 programs.

That is also true......But who should we consider competition. When you have small programs like E.Michigan/Marshal getting 4* or high 3* players also. Not saying we should be at the same level as those programs, but the playing field is much more open than it was years before due to different programs being able to make their product look more appealing for recruits as well as giving them the opportunity for immediate contribution. What's sad today, IMO, is that this generation doesn't respect the process of winning a spot or earning you position as much as the previous generations.

In terms of sheer numbers you are correct. When compared to the number of teams that actually have any shot at winning a MNC (or BCS conference championship) it's pretty average/below average. Isn't winning championships what NU is supposed to be about?

Correct. It was just a general statement. When I see those trying to discredit the talent the staff is bringing in, by saying it's average, or nothing special every year, but then complain that that same "average" or nothing special class doesn't excel on the level of the elite programs, that makes me think that those claims were done out of spite because they actually believe that the talent coming in is actually closer to or on par with the elite program's talents they are bringing in or that they are expecting Bo to be Bill Synder with his talent, which neither is fair to him nor the recruits.

Besides, Pelini, according to rivals, has brought in 4 consecutive classes ranked in the top 25, with two of them in the top 20. And often the recruits we are bring in aren't highly glorified early in the process, but in the closing moments we often see some of the big boys pulling at our commits. That lets me know that our staff can recognize talent and aren't relying just on stars and other's evaluations. Recruiting is highly important and yes we would love to get the top guys at every position every year, but recruiting is not what I would consider to be an "issue" for this staff or state that we are just getting "average" talent. I would say that there are at least 15 kids that have come in the last 3 classes that will be playing on Sunday.

how many recruits annually are 5*? isn't the number pretty small compared to the amount of 4*s?
are there more 3* players than 4*?
does it vary from year to year or are the numbers similiar for each star ranking?
i really don't follow the ins and outs of recruiting that closely.

Correct. It was just a general statement. When I see those trying to discredit the talent the staff is bringing in, by saying it's average, or nothing special every year, but then complain that that same "average" or nothing special class doesn't excel on the level of the elite programs, that makes me think that those claims were done out of spite because they actually believe that the talent coming in is actually closer to or on par with the elite program's talents they are bringing in or that they are expecting Bo to be Bill Synder with his talent, which neither is fair to him nor the recruits.

Besides, Pelini, according to rivals, has brought in 4 consecutive classes ranked in the top 25, with two of them in the top 20. And often the recruits we are bring in aren't highly glorified early in the process, but in the closing moments we often see some of the big boys pulling at our commits. That lets me know that our staff can recognize talent and aren't relying just on stars and other's evaluations. Recruiting is highly important and yes we would love to get the top guys at every position every year, but recruiting is not what I would consider to be an "issue" for this staff or state that we are just getting "average" talent. I would say that there are at least 15 kids that have come in the last 3 classes that will be playing on Sunday.

I honestly don't get too worked up over recruiting rankings, though it has been proven you have a better chance of being successful if you're consistently ranked in the top 15. I'm much more concerned where the team is ranked after they've been on campus 2-3 years than I am where they were ranked on signing day.

Look you keep saying the excuse for our vaulted offense this year was injuries, i say this offense this year was a huge disappointment from day one! Was it coaching, just that our line was not as big on talent as we all hoped? Or is Dobson indeed a bigger problem then we all hope that he is not?

Bump?

Anyone?

That is also true......But who should we consider competition. When you have small programs like E.Michigan/Marshal getting 4* or high 3* players also. Not saying we should be at the same level as those programs, but the playing field is much more open than it was years before due to different programs being able to make their product look more appealing for recruits as well as giving them the opportunity for immediate contribution. What's sad today, IMO, is that this generation doesn't respect the process of winning a spot or earning you position as much as the previous generations.

Those programs you mentioned, how many times in the last 25 years have they been ranked in the top 25? How many new teams show up in the top 25 teams each year? You know very well the types of programs we compete against, you are going to an extreme to defend you slightly wild statement.

Generally, the same teams are in and out of the top 25 each year, once in a while we have teams like Northern Illinois..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back