• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Hey! Phissssst everybody come over here! SHHHHH! I have a secret!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alabama 3.83* average
TOSU 3.78
UGA 3.75
AUB. 3.68
LSU 3.67
ND USC 3.64
T A&M 3.63
TENN FLOR 3.61
MIAMI 3.5
S. CAR 3.47
MICH 3.44
UCLA STAN 3.38
OREGON 3.33
TERPS 3.31
VANDY 3.3
PENN ST 3.29
TEXA$$ 3.26
VIRGINIA 3.25
OLE MISS 3.21
UNC 3.14
UDUB 3.13
OU 3.11
NORTHWESTY 3.08
NEBRASKA 3.05

The spread between #32 and top 15 is .33 stars.

If NU's two 2 star recruits were given one more star each or were both dropped from the list, NU's average would rise close to top 15.

Do you see the inherent silliness of trying to make a point using the recruiting ranking, especially "average star" rankings?

The margins are so much thinner than the rankings make it appear.

Too bad it's not that close on the poll rankings.

Too bad it's not that close on the poll rankings.

Sure it is.

That's the whole problem with "rankings". #40 often isn't that far from #20 in real terms, but people get all worked up over it.

It's sort of a silly metric. Really, I think there are echelons of success that have little to do with rankings, which may be more a function of timing of wins/losses rather than actual performance.

Tier 1 = 1 to 2 losses
Tier 2 = 2 to 4 losses
Tier 3 = 4 to 5 losses
Tier 4 = .500 team
Tier 5 = less than .500 team
Tier 6 = 1-3 wins team

There's some overlap in the top tiers because a 4 loss team that suffered a 4th loss in a conference championship game isn't the same as a 4 loss team that suffered a 4th loss during the regular season or bowl game. Same with the 2 loss teams.

Really, NU's goal should be to stay firmly in Tier 2 and bounce up to Tier 1. In Tier 2, the rankings will often be between 12th and 30th.

1 - I said we are #32 in average stars.
2 - How do you figured it's an excellent job? "excellent in all areas"? ;) By all indications the results seem to be average at best.
#32 is still in the top 25% of all FBS programs. The fact is that the average program's star rankings are closer to 2.5 than 3.0.

It's also remarkable that fans put more credence in star ratings than the coach's ability to evaluate a player according to our needs. When Rivals assigns a rating break from 3 to 4 stars at 5.7 to 5.8, and we have a half dozen recruits at 5.7, it's puzzling how many fans think recruiting is lacking.

The simple fact is that this class has eight players committed right now who have a four star rating by one service or another.

The spread between #32 and top 15 is .33 stars.

If NU's two 2 star recruits were given one more star each or were both dropped from the list, NU's average would rise close to top 15.

Do you see the inherent silliness of trying to make a point using the recruiting ranking, especially "average star" rankings?

The margins are so much thinner than the rankings make it appear.

Thanks for the context and here is more..... I see #15 Clemson has 1 more 5 star and 3 more 4 stars than us....I would say that's significant.

Sure it is.

That's the whole problem with "rankings". #40 often isn't that far from #20 in real terms, but people get all worked up over it.

It's sort of a silly metric. Really, I think there are echelons of success that have little to do with rankings, which may be more a function of timing of wins/losses rather than actual performance.

Tier 1 = 1 to 2 losses
Tier 2 = 2 to 4 losses
Tier 3 = 4 to 5 losses
Tier 4 = .500 team
Tier 5 = less than .500 team
Tier 6 = 1-3 wins team

There's some overlap in the top tiers because a 4 loss team that suffered a 4th loss in a conference championship game isn't the same as a 4 loss team that suffered a 4th loss during the regular season or bowl game. Same with the 2 loss teams.

Really, NU's goal should be to stay firmly in Tier 2 and bounce up to Tier 1. In Tier 2, the rankings will often be between 12th and 30th.

4 losses in tier 2??? That seems rather convenient and way lower than NU should ever be ok w/ on for a regular basis. It seems you just took what we have been doing lately and then made formed your tiers around it. :)

Heck you don't even have undefeated teams in a tier.

more objective tiers:

tier 1 = rated 1-6
tier 2 = rated 7-15
tier 3 = rated 16-25
tier 4 - "also receiving votes"
tier 5 - no votes

Last edited:
#32 is still in the top 25% of all FBS programs. The fact is that the average program's star rankings are closer to 2.5 than 3.0.

It's also remarkable that fans put more credence in star ratings than the coach's ability to evaluate a player according to our needs. When Rivals assigns a rating break from 3 to 4 stars at 5.7 to 5.8, and we have a half dozen recruits at 5.7, it's puzzling how many fans think recruiting is lacking.

The simple fact is that this class has eight players committed right now who have a four star rating by one service or another.

To clarify - the results are average at best considering it's at Nebraska.

Your opinion on coaches evaluations are better than star ratings would carry more weight if our performance on the field hadn't been getting worse each year. As I said at first, rankings have their flaws, but overall they are a pretty good indicator on how a program will do....especially if you look at a 3-5 year block. Same thing w/ NFL draft evaluations.

4 losses in tier 2??? That seems rather convenient and way lower than NU should ever be ok w/ on for a regular basis. It seems you just took what we have been doing lately and then made formed your tiers around it. :)

Heck you don't even have undefeated teams in a tier.

more objective tiers:

tier 1 = rated 1-6
tier 2 = rated 7-15
tier 3 = rated 16-25
tier 4 - not rated.

Not convenient at all. By my system, NU is likely tier 3 this year, even with a win in the Gator Bowl. I think there are some justifications (or excuses if you want to put it that way) for why NU slipped this year, but they are still in tier 3 (though a 9-4 finish would be very close to tier 2).

The point of my system is to say that really, the spread between say #15 and #30 usually isn't as great as the numerical figure implies. And I think more often than not, and especially among BCS teams, the difference between #3 and #12 is slim.

Cactus, you've just relegated 90% of the FBS to tier four and five.

Really? Ridiculous. Tier one, top ten, maybe. Tier two, top 25 to 30, and so on.

The step between top 25 to top ten simply isn't that high, IMO.

Also, cactus, our performance hasn't been getting worse every year. Moving from 5-3 in conference to 7-1 is certainly not indicative of a decline in performance.

Like it or not, the vagaries of CFB includes having to replace player on a regular basis, and integrating a large number of new starters always has pitfalls. As does replacing injured players.

This is exactly what I mean about reality and pragmatism. The pragmatists understand that a team's fortunes change every year. The "expectant" fan always expects performance to improve every year. Not realistic.

Also, cactus, our performance hasn't been getting worse every year. Moving from 5-3 in conference to 7-1 is certainly not indicative of a decline in performance.

Like it or not, the vagaries of CFB includes having to replace player on a regular basis, and integrating a large number of new starters always has pitfalls. As does replacing injured players.

This is exactly what I mean about reality and pragmatism. The pragmatists understand that a team's fortunes change every year. The "expectant" fan always expects performance to improve every year. Not realistic.

They were 5-3 in conference this season and that's all anyone really cares about at this point.

Incorrect. The expectant fan only wants to see good hard nosed football where the team actually looks like they know what they're doing 80% of the time and not getting blown out 20% of the time. Bo has work to do in both areas.

I'd settle for one year at this point……does that make me "expectant'?

I love how you think you can say what others want/think.. Are you the nostradamus of huskermax? :lol:

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back