• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Hey! Phissssst everybody come over here! SHHHHH! I have a secret!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verbals mean nothing until they sign (it gives fans something to cling to though).. If they did mean something then you wouldn't have to worry about others recruiting them away. Yes, verbals mean the recruit likes something about the school.. often times that isn't enough to keep them.

Just because something isn't official doesn't mean it means nothing. The process is just as important as the finished product. If getting a verbal meant nothing then coaches wouldn't be asking for a verbal from their recruits until the minute they are signing the dotted line.

-Verbals show the interest of students to a program
-Verbals also help recruits to decide weather or not they will have an opportunity to excel at a specific program based on who else is interested in the program
-Verbals also help a staff in managing their current roster.

If a verbal meant nothing, then why do programs spend so much $$ on air fair and such things to recruit these kids. Why is there so many recruiting sites that spend so much time tracking schools and where kids commit to? Why not just play the game, win them and let the players come to you. You know, put out a want ad for a QB for the 2014-15 season.

If you can't understand the value of a commit and want to discredit the recruiting process until Feb 4th, that's fine. If NU had no verbals today what would your view be of Bo and the staff be?........rhetorical question. I know the answer.

Last edited:

Just because something isn't official doesn't mean it means nothing. The process is just as important as the finished product. If getting a verbal meant nothing then coaches wouldn't be asking for a verbal from their recruits until the minute they are signing the dotted line.

-Verbals also help recruits to decide weather or not they will have an opportunity to excel at a specific program based on who else is interested in the program

If a verbal meant nothing, then why do programs spend so much $$ on air fair and such things to recruit these kids. Why is there so many recruiting sites that spend so much time tracking schools and where kids commit to? Why not just play the game, win them and let the players come to you. You know, put out a want ad for a QB for the 2014-15 season.

If you can't understand the value of a commit and want to discredit the recruiting process until Feb 4th, that's fine. If NU had no verbals today what would your view be of Bo and the staff be?........rhetorical question. I know the answer.
I just find all the interest on recruiting somewhat amazing. Twenty years ago you could find maybe three magazines that had anything to do with recruiting, and 99% of fans couldn't tell you anything about any recruits before they actually signed with the school.

Now, we nitpick and scrutinize every recruit to the nth degree and in the final analysis it tells us nothing about what any recruit will do in the program. We even go nuts over how well the coaches are recruiting in July and why we didn't get that kid out of Hueytown - the coaches didn't work hard enough.

I think I liked it better the other way.

I just find all the interest on recruiting somewhat amazing. Twenty years ago you could find maybe three magazines that had anything to do with recruiting, and 99% of fans couldn't tell you anything about any recruits before they actually signed with the school.

Now, we nitpick and scrutinize every recruit to the nth degree and in the final analysis it tells us nothing about what any recruit will do in the program. We even go nuts over how well the coaches are recruiting in July and why we didn't get that kid out of Hueytown - the coaches didn't work hard enough.

As a fan, I love it this way as it provides spice to the off season.

It was hectic when I was going to the recruiting process without the internet. I can only imagine the nonsense that I would have had to deal with if rivals/scout/247/every fan base's football forums were out back then. Especially if my Texas brothren knew I was looking to leave the state (considered going to NU & had an offer from Arizona)

Wow, thats not true at all. There was still a massive buzz back before the rivals, scout etc of the world blossomed. The difference there wasnt a platform to google over them like there is now. Heck the OWH used to do small bios of the recruits before you could just go to a website and look it up yourself. Just because you didnt follow it then doesnt mean the rest of the living world didnt follow it either...

If you liked it better the other way, youre in complete control to have it that way.

Last edited:

lol, I understand the importance of recruiting. Let me ask you this - If NU recruits a 4 star, and he verbals to NU.. but then changes and actually signs with, let's say OSU. What good was that verbal?

That is why you keep recruiting a kid, even after he verbals.. because a verbal means nothing until they sign on the dotted line.

I like seeing the names that have verbaled, but I will like seeing the signed contracts even more.

Last edited:

I agree. There is an excess of interest in recruiting. In Texas it has become a second season.

I hopeBo and the coaches finish with a strong class.

lol, I understand the importance of recruiting. Let me ask you this - If NU recruits a 4 star, and he verbals to NU.. but then changes and actually signs with, let's say OSU. What good was that verbal?

That is why you keep recruiting a kid, even after he verbals.. because a verbal means nothing until they sign on the dotted line.

I like seeing the names that have verbaled, but I will like seeing the signed contracts even more.

Oh so you are one of those guys huh....someone who ignores the questions ask to him but throws out a question that was already addressed.

My rhetorical question was put there to help you think about what you are saying. Verbals are great things. And they become even greater when you finish the job with them, just like everything. If you don't then they hurt you.

Where did I say you stop recruiting after a verbal? Getting a kid to say, "I want to play for you coach" is apart of the process. Keeping up with his progress over his senior season is apart of the process. Making sure he's staying in shape and getting his grades together to get on campus is part of the process. Recruiting is apart of building a RELATIONSHIP with the recruit. You don't live life not caring about good to great things happening for fear of it ending early.....That's a sad life to live.

Your last line should get the "Captain Obvious" award. Of course, we all like seeing the signed contracts (though WE don't see them) even more. Because that makes it official. And even that isn't a for sure thing, just ask B.Heard & C.Jax. But getting a verbal from a kid shows that the staff is building somewhat of a relationship with the recruit and gaining the trust of the player, enough that the player believes that this staff and program can help him to succeed. If that kid can see that in the staff, then maybe the next kid can see the same. if you get a highly recruited player to feel that way, MAYBE we can get another highly recruited player to join him. Great players want to play with other great players. You know chemistry, before even taking a snap together.

Dang, I thought for sure you were going to say "SHHH...I'm hunting wabbits!" Or at least you were going to tell us the secret to raising your yummy corn.

If I told you all the "secret" then I would have to hunt you all down! :O")

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back