• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Head Coach Possibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank's a pretty good coach. Those that we've hired since we fired him have not really met the standard he set.

I agree with that. I've always believe, Bo needed to AT LEAST equal Frank to prove himself worthy. He has not done that. No one expects Bo to be Tom (or Bob) ... but the fact that he isn't even Frank is a concern.

Yes, I know what Bo inherited. I also know this is year six.

oh wow .... I obviously slipped somewhere then.... the Bobcats were better than I thought.

I am certain, however, Temple went 0-11, 2-9, and 1-11 the three years prior to Al.

Thanks for the correction.

No problem.

An interesting note: In the 5 years prior to Jim Grobe, Ohio won 8 games. In Grobe's first 5 years at Ohio, Ohio won 26 games.

Yep. Bo made those comments and said what he really thought back when he and his agent still believed he was a hot commodity (they were wrong). Now that the big hand of life has slapped him across the head and he realizes that he'll never get a $3MM a year job again he wants to play nice. I'm not buying it. It would be easier to buy if there was any glimmer of hope that he'll be an elite head coach some day, but Magic 8-Ball says "No Dice."
I suspect those were also Osborne's feelings (minus the f-bombs) in the winter of 1978 when he decided to check out the Colorado job. If memory serves, he decided to stay at NU because he thought it had better facilities and athletes, plus he really didn't want to bail on players he recruited.
There's a real double standard here. Fans feel entitled to hurl all sorts of foul-mouthed abuse at coaches, but when they get a little back, they go bonkers. Apparently they believe they can act like spoiled children, but the coach must be the level-headed adult who never retaliates.

I think Frank and Bo would have done themselves a great service by going the small school route before coming to NU (you never know, they may have become really good BCS level coaches in that scenario) instead of strapping on the training wheels and heading straight for that ditch they should avoid. They both plateaued early and exhibited definite signs of a downward trajectory at a time in their careers (4th to 6th years) when they should have been trending upward. If that's not a warning sign to you then I don't know what to tell you.

P.S. Patterson has won a BCS bowl against a school that beat NU 70-31 last season. How many BCS appearances does Bo have?
No one will ever convince anyone on the other side that they are wrong. I happen to believe Frank was an excellent coach at NU and you don't. Don't inflict your rationale on me and I won't abuse you with my reasons.
But I don't think you're being honest with yourself about Patterson. If he came to Nebraska and put together two seasons like his last two, you'd be at the head of the line with tar and feathers. That's the default setting for many fans. To paraphrase an old friend, the firings will continue until performance improves.

I suspect those were also Osborne's feelings (minus the f-bombs) in the winter of 1978 when he decided to check out the Colorado job. If memory serves, he decided to stay at NU because he thought it had better facilities and athletes, plus he really didn't want to bail on players he recruited.
There's a real double standard here. Fans feel entitled to hurl all sorts of foul-mouthed abuse at coaches, but when they get a little back, they go bonkers. Apparently they believe they can act like spoiled children, but the coach must be the level-headed adult who never retaliates.

One big thing with Osborne is he was a native Nebraskan, I'm sure that helped his decision to stay. Bo is not and so I doubt the ties are as strong.

I don't see the double standard you speak of. Some people were upset when it came out but calmed down. I don't think very many want Bo fired for tape gate. I think what most feel is that it brought to light how Bo potentially feels about Nebraska. Not so much that he hates it, but rather would be gone if another offer came along.

Fans are fans (fanatic), rational thinking is rarely the case. Coach's are coach's, and yes, they should be held to a different standard. I'm not saying anything goes for fans, just that fans have always been fanatics, always have been, always will.

Last edited:

LOL. Really? You turn the truth completely upside down to make your argument?

I have not seen or read of any "foul mouthed" abuse of coaches by the fans. But I have noticed some foul mouthed abuse of fans by the Head Coach, along with lots of childlike behavior:

[NOTE: thought I could find a censored Pelini rant, but couldn't. Don't feel comfortable posting the words he actually launched at fans]

Yeah...Bo is a real level-headed guy...classy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back