• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Head Coach Possibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheezus. Frank has done a very good job at Ohio. "great turnarounds in history"? Please...let's be real.

No kidding.

How about we wait until he at least wins the MAC once before declaring it one of the greatest turnarounds in college football history.

How in the world is it debatable???

Oh, and I like how it's "Frank found his comfort level" but these other coaches at low level competition conference are "up and comers."

I guess Gary should go back to the WAC/MWC.

I think Frank and Bo would have done themselves a great service by going the small school route before coming to NU (you never know, they may have become really good BCS level coaches in that scenario) instead of strapping on the training wheels and heading straight for that ditch they should avoid. They both plateaued early and exhibited definite signs of a downward trajectory at a time in their careers (4th to 6th years) when they should have been trending upward. If that's not a warning sign to you then I don't know what to tell you.

P.S. Patterson has won a BCS bowl against a school that beat NU 70-31 last season. How many BCS appearances does Bo have?

Last edited:
Cheezus. Frank has done a very good job at Ohio. "great turnarounds in history"? Please...let's be real.

He has NU ties so that automatically places him in any "greatest" category you can come up with. Cheezus, get with the program. Or is that go get "programmed." I wonder around here sometimes.

No kidding.

How about we wait until he at least wins the MAC once before declaring it one of the greatest turnarounds in college football history.

And yet, Al Golden inherited a Temple team that won a combined 7 games the prior 5 seasons -- and got 27 out of 'em in his 5 years there (including 17 the final two, which, as mentioned, has never been topped in any two-year span in Temple history). That's a 286% increase in wins comparing each five seasons.

Ohio U. managed 14 wins the five seasons prior to Frank's arrival. And 32 Frank's first five there. a 129% increase.

If you're talking pure turnarounds, Al's was better. Both very solid. But many will downplay Golden's and consider Frank's to be one of the greatest ever. Again -- both were solid -- but I think you get my point. :)

And yet, Al Golden inherited a Temple team that won a combined 7 games the prior 5 seasons -- and got 27 out of 'em in his 5 years there (including 17 the final two, which, as mentioned, has never been topped in any two-year span in Temple history). That's a 286% increase in wins comparing each five seasons.

Ohio U. managed 14 wins the five seasons prior to Frank's arrival. And 32 Frank's first five there. a 129% increase.

If you're talking pure turnarounds, Al's was better. Both very solid. But many will downplay Golden's and consider Frank's to be one of the greatest ever. Again -- both were solid -- but I think you get my point. :)

There's an echo in here. :)

I'm sure he also doesn't remember the mess Al Golden inherited at Temple and to a much lesser extent, Miami.

Ah, Al Golden is a great coach. He must have won a MAC championship during his 5 years at Temple.... and at least an ACC championship or two, right?

I mean, right?

Otherwise, what kind of turn around is that?

FYI, from 1950 to 2005 (golden's first season was '06), Temple had a winning % of .376 (99th)
From 1950 to 2004, Ohio .420 (91st)

Pretty comparable.

And in the more recent history, from 1975 to each coaches' first season, the winning % were:
Ohio - .334
Temple - .312

Again, pretty similar.

But, Golden clearly "has it" so he must dominate head to head, considering they took over similar programs at almost the exact same time...

Oh, wait, Frank owns a 3-1 record against Golden, head to head, with the sole loss being by 4 points.

Here's the annoying thing:

I actually think Golden is a solid coach. But I'm forced to point out these comparisons because some of the people here are so blinded by their biases that they think ABFS and ABBP would be better for Nebraska.

I find it ironic that some will defend a guy like Golden as the next answer at Nebraska while tearing down Frank's accomplishments.

You have one category, % increase in wins. Who had more MAC division championships? Who had more wins head-to-head?

Oh, and wasn't Temple a BCS conference team and then an independent playing a murder's row schedule in many of those years in the early 2000s?

Could that possibly account for the difference in records prior to arrival? And that Temples move down to the MAC may have been to Al's benefit?

How would Ohio have done against these schedules prior to Frank's arrival?

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/aac/temple/2000-2004_yearly_results.php

The difference is, people aren't trying to make the argument that Golden had one of the greatest turnarounds in history.

I find it ironic that some will defend a guy like Golden as the next answer at Nebraska while tearing down Frank's accomplishments.

You have one category, % increase in wins. Who had more MAC division championships? Who had more wins head-to-head?

Oh, and wasn't Temple a BCS conference team and then an independent playing a murder's row schedule in many of those years in the early 2000s?

Could that possibly account for the difference in records prior to arrival? And that Temples move down to the MAC may have been to Al's benefit?

How would Ohio have done against these schedules prior to Frank's arrival?

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/aac/temple/2000-2004_yearly_results.php

I'm certainly not trying to tear down Frank. Love what he's done at Ohio. But yet, some will poo poo what Al's done -- and suggest he has no business at Nebraska. Yet Frank is Nebraska-worthy. At the very least, the two are comparable. But at this point in their careers, one coach certainly has a brighter future.

Last edited:
The difference is, people aren't trying to make the argument that Golden had one of the greatest turnarounds in history.

Actually, that argument has been made.

And regardless, most considered Ohio even less competitive than Nebraska and Va Tech, and probably even KSU.

Anyway, I stand by my statement. Frank's work at Ohio has been among the greatest turnarounds in CFB history. Feel free to feel differently.

Actually, that argument has been made.

And regardless, most considered Ohio even less competitive than Nebraska and Va Tech, and probably even KSU.

Anyway, I stand by my statement. Frank's work at Ohio has been among the greatest turnarounds in CFB history. Feel free to feel differently.

Who made the argument about Al's work being one of the greatest turnarounds ever? I'm probably just missing it, but I have not see it made.

Frank has done a find job, but it does not compare to some of the greatest turnarounds in CFB history. People considered Ohio less competitive than KSU? I have my doubts about that, but even then Snyder has won at a higher level. Snyder has conference championships. Snyder has Top10 finishes. It isn't even close. Snyder's turnaround at KSU was MUCH more impressive than anything Frank has done at Ohio.

Last edited:
Who made the argument about Al's work being one of the greatest turnarounds ever? I'm probably just missing it, but I have not see it made.

Frank has done a find job, but it does not compare to some of the greatest turnarounds in CFB history. People considered Ohio less competitive than KSU? I have my doubts about that, but even then Snyder has won at a higher level. Snyder has conference championships. Snyder has Top10 finishes. It isn't even close. Snyder's turnaround at KSU was MUCH more impressive than anything Frank has done at Ohio.

Frank's a pretty good coach. Those that we've hired since we fired him have not really met the standard he set.

HWM, Ohio actually had 18 wins the 5 years prior to Frank's arrival.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back