• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Banker out

My gut says he's got his guy lined up already. (Like he did w/ Williams). The timing only makes sense if this is the case. If he doesnt have his guy he would have waited till after NSD. JMHO

I applaud Riley for making this move... but I truly believe this came from Eichorst's urging. Just a gut feeling.

After all these pages, thank you for bringing up what I've been thinking. I wonder if Coach Riley is being forced, and maybe hasn't completely bought in to sending his buds packing?

My gut says he's got his guy lined up already. (Like he did w/ Williams). The timing only makes sense if this is the case. If he doesnt have his guy he would have waited till after NSD. JMHO
I'd be very surprised if he didn't have someone lined up. I think we will know who it is by this time next week, probably sooner.

Last edited:
At this point in his career I believe Riley made this decision. A person close to the Husker football team told me Riley was asked to dump Banker at OSU before getting the Nebraska job. He brought him with him and certainly now understands Banker is limited and not up to the job. He's not about to let this opportunity get away he's understanding the urgency and I believe he's going to go after the best D.C.he can find.
I don't see him hiring from within and the administration is going to open the vault if they need to and support him one hundred percent.
Saban, Meyer, Miles, and now Dabo have built programs with both recruiting and surrounding themselves with outstanding coaches. Penn State changed offensive coordinator this season and the results are obvious.
Letting Banker go had to be tough but Riley did it and that speaks volumes.

Wow . . . just seeing this. I didn't think much of bringing Banker over from OSU to start with, given his tepid results over a long period of time. He wasn't terrible this year, but I have to think we could have (and will) do better. Hopefully Riley gets someone in here who can bring mean, fast and aggressive defense back. Gotta have the athletes first, but I just think there are others out there who could get more out of what we have.

Wonder how JP and Bray will feel about this and if they are in the running (or if Riley would insist on keeping them around regardless of who he hires)?

Here's the link to the NCAA Total Defense web page that could be helpful, too.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

When looking at these results, I wonder which team has the guy Riley is looking for if the guy does come from college ranks. Is he a current coordinator or a stud position coach who has proven himself on a team that has a great defense?

Perhaps, Billy D has helped line someone up in the NFL ranks. Maybe, a former defensive college coach who spent a few years in the NFL, but wants back in college coaching.

Wherever he comes from, this hire will help define the 2017 season and beyond. Hire the wrong guy and the defense takes a huge step back and the retirement may come early. Get the right guy who helps the Blackshirts be dominating and that retirement is put on hold.
I think having Devaney on staff is a huge advantage for a lot of reasons, but one more is how his connections throughout the NFL might help us find our next DC. And I believe he has a experience scouting for the NFL which would mean he might also be well connected with college coaches trying to get their kids into the league.

We certainly have a coach that is willing to make the hard call. With Langsdorfs offense, he knows now, he had better score a bucket load of points.
Langsdorf is is absolutely no
trouble, he is one of the best coordinators in the country. Banker, on the other hand, wasn't even the clear choice for DC when they came in...he wasn't named DC right away.

I think having Devaney on staff is a huge advantage for a lot of reasons, but one more is how his connections throughout the NFL might help us find our next DC. And I believe he has a experience scouting for the NFL which would mean he might also be well connected with college coaches trying to get their kids into the league.
Devaney is a huge asset for sure. Until Riley would share what is going on behind the scenes, we will not truly know all that Devaney does.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back