• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Banker out

The simplest answer here is that just like Read and Hughes, Banker wasn't getting the results. Therefore he was let go. There's really NO reason to assume that MR doesn't make decisions regarding his staff. Therefore, I'll go with MR made the call until I learn otherwise. Really kind of a silly argument here meant to stir the pot. Always looking for ways to diminish the current guy.

I can't overstate enough how much I believe that Riley's tenure at Nebraska will be determined by this next defensive coordinator hire.

I think the offense is going to come. Riley is an offensive-minded coach. He and Langsdorf always seemed to field good offensive teams at Oregon State. I would actually be quite shocked if they didn't do the same thing at Nebraska. Those guys took overlooked three-star recruits like Sean Mannion, Derek Anderson, Matt Moore and Sean Canfield and turned them into NFL QB's. They never got talent like Tristan Gebbia and Patrick O'Brien. I'm confident one or both of those kids turns out to be an All-Conference talent.

Riley and Langsdorf never recruited WR talent like Keyshawn Jr., Jaevon McQuitty, (most likely) Tyjon Lindsey and possibly Joseph Lewis. They took lower-rated guys (yes plural) and had them win the Biletnikoff award. They never recruited o-linemen like Matt Farniok, John Raridon, Matt Sichterman, Brenden Jaimes, etc. They never got 7 of 10 guys in a three-year period to be four-star caliber kids. The talent is coming in and the scheme and coaching is proven. Riley and Langsdorf have probably looked at each other and said, "Now this is why we came to Nebraska."

Some people don't think their offense can win in the Big Ten. They think they'll pass too much. Ask Penn State about that. And yes they had Saquon Barkley at RB, but Riley knows and wants the same production from his RB. At Oregon State, he had All-Conference RB's: Steven Jackson, Ken Simonton, Jacquizz Rodgers, Yvenson Bernard...people never want to acknowledge that Riley often times accompanied his "passing" offense with one of the best RB's in the Pac-12. Guys who rushed for 1,200+ yards a year. That's still the goal in Lincoln. He wants an offense that features a QB that stresses a defense with his arm talent, yet is just as effective running the ball. Just like Penn State this past year.

On defense, the Huskers have very good position coaches in place IMO. All three are excellent recruiters who will bring in talent. With the new Big Ten money coming in, the Huskers need to be willing to pay the going rate for top guys. The average salary for the four playoff teams' defensive coordinators was 900k+. If Nebraska misses on their next DC, I think (good or bad) Riley might not get past the 2018 season. I think he knows that.

Ultimately, I would love to know how the list of candidates is being put together. Riley has several coaching ties. Billy Devaney has ties all over the NFL. I wouldn't be shocked to find out that Eichorst went to his good buddy Steve Spurrier to see if the 'Ole Ball Coach had some names in mind from his Rolodex. One things for sure, it has to be a home run. Riley's future depends on it. If this guy doesn't work out, there won't be a third attempt. Riley will be replaced along with him. JMPO.

I thought the OWH article said MR had mainly defensive background and before being a head coach he was on the D side of the ball almost exclusively? Did he really just turn it over to Banker for 20 years and let him handle it?

I thought the OWH article said MR had mainly defensive background and before being a head coach he was on the D side of the ball almost exclusively? Did he really just turn it over to Banker for 20 years and let him handle it?

No, he has both in his background but primarily he specializes in offense.

If that was the case then how would he have been Keyshawn Johnson's position coach and OC at USC?

Here's my suggestion for today:
paranusignore.jpg

Remind me again where I mentioned an NFL replacement:

"I think Nebraska needs to shell out serious cash to bring in a proven commodity. I think they will. Would love to see them pony up and hire a $1m per sort of guy. Might not get them, but I think it's worth a phone call and a big(ger) offer for guys like Brent Venables, Bud Foster, Dave Aranda, Jeremy Pruitt, Bob Shoop, John Chavis, Todd Grantham, Clancy Pendergast, Greg Schiano, Don Brown, Pete Kwiatkowski, Manny Diaz, Justin Wilcox, Charles Kelly, Kevin Steele, Randy Shannon ...

Bob Diaco might be a nice candidate too. Has extensive recruiting ties to the Big Ten region after stints at Notre Dame (where he coordinated some very good defenses), Central Michigan, Western Michigan and Eastern Michigan, Cincinnati and Western Illinois. Was even a GA at Iowa. He is a fine recruiter and earned a rep for being a bright, young, up and coming defensive mind with the Irish.

As for replacing Ryan Gunderson, that's easy. Let Billy Devaney do it. Tell him to go through his Rolodex and find someone he has worked with in the past, perhaps a scout from his NFL days. Devaney should have a list as long as his arm of guys who can step in and take over there. Gunderson did a GREAT job, not trying to say he is easily replaceable, but Devaney should fill that spot relatively easy."

An NFL guy to replace Gunderson in the recruiting department is what I was suggesting. And if you want to scout talent, I dont know how hiring a scout would be a bad move...

Imagine you are listening to the Bo "RIGHT HERE" drop on Sharp and Benning....."Ultimately, I would love to know how the list of candidates is being put together. Riley has several coaching ties. Billy Devaney has ties all over the NFL."

Last edited:

Banker never should have been brought here to begin with. My initial criticism of MR was that he brought all of his lame OSU staff to Lincoln. Good of MR to make this move, but I have a feeling he is getting strong messaging to do so from his boss.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back