• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Walters out

I could envision that Frost called Mickey and had a hypothetical conversation that technically wasn’t a job offer. But somehow it leaked out and then everything got awkward.

it looks like the next guy won’t be an OC, but instead a receiver coach with a few added duties. I don’t see Helfrich taking that job but maybe Lubick.

Could we see Frost hire someone and give them the title " WR coach/passing game coordinator" and forego a so called "offensive coordinator" all together? Don't see the need for an OC if Frost is calling the plays anyway.
There is a very high probability this has already been brought up in another thread, or perhaps this one (I have not made through the whole thread yet) but I am trying to remember If TO had an OC. I don't think he did. We all know he called the plays. As most of you on this board, I thought it odd that Coach Walters had the title of OC. Many questioned, rightfully so, what exactly that meant and what the actual coaching role was. Of course, the "devil is in the details" with all of the coaching moves but I think we can all agree that HCSF has and had a blueprint in mind (with options if things were not working out) when he took this job.

So I’m not saying I disagree with this move, but there was a lot of preaching coaching consistency. This is the 3rd coach change in 2 years. They better have a helluva plan in place
Depends how you want to look at it. Dawson out and then back in really isn't much of a change, so Tuioti coming in (and DeWitt going out) along with whoever replaces Walters are the 2 wholesale changes. I don't publicly criticize coaches any more than what I feel can't be avoided, but I've made it known that I thought that the WRs and the OLBs were/are the two position groups that have shown the least development of our personnel. If you agree with that, how long do you value "consistency" and stability in the staff over developing those players? From my perspective, both were probably pretty decent coaches, but it's highly likely that they reached a point where they just weren't grinding away in the past two years in the way that they were before that. It's not blowing smoke to say that a change of venue for them is probably in their long-term best interest as well.

I was thinking more along the line of a Defensive coaching staff shack up.

I don't know where you get your ideas, but I would think that if the defensive staff began shacking up with one another, it would open up another separate can o' worms.

I am a bit surprised that it is someone on Offense.

Which other defensive coach has failed to develop the players under him? Our DBs and DBs Coach are the best position/position coach on the staff currently, we're about to have a couple D-linemen drafted from this year's group, and there hasn't been enough talent at the LB position to have any realistic gauge for what those coaches can do. Should we fire Ruud just to send some sort of message? I ask that because if you're thinking Chinander--I've said this before, and I'll be saying it as often as necessary--it's NOT going to happen. He's a very good coach, and he and Frost are of the exact same mindset as far as overall scheme.

Meanwhile, Walters was knocking down big-time money as a WRs coach + OC. As OC he wasn't calling the plays, and I'd be curious as to which WRs you think have improved under his coaching? My opinion is that there isn't a single WR that has made obvious strides under him in 2 years as the best WRs during that time--Stanley, JD, Wan'Dale, Warner--seem to have just continued at more or less the same level that they were before he was their coach. If I had to choose 2 assistant coaches to swap out, Walters and DeWitt would have been my top two choices, and it would have been a tossup as to which order to rank them.

A former Nebraska QB was preparing to move back to Lincoln from Lynchburg, Va about a year ago when he got a job offer from Arkansas. Turner Gill’s role was off the field, but he may have been dismissed with the rest of the Arkansas staff.

If you want to get nostalgic, how about hiring Ron Brown to takeover as WRs coach and then putting Gill in Brown's off-field position?

The guy who "said" Frost as a QB made a pretty good Safety?

He also argued to his dying day that Frost could have played QB in the NFL if he had developed in a college passing offense. He was never down on Frost as a QB, but Frost happened to also be his best Safety. Judging by the NFL's evaluations, he wasn't wrong.

Yeah...where is he nowadays?

He needs to hold a position elsewhere long enough while keeping clean to prove that he's not a detriment to the program due to DUIs and potential DUIs. I think he is a very good coach, technique-wise (not as convinced on the recruiting side), but there's a reason why nobody else has hired him yet.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back