• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Trev Alberts to Texas A&M

I’m saying this is part of the bigger picture. TA is not an idiot. Maybe this is a leverage play. Maybe it’s not. But keeping himself in dialogue with the A&Ms of the world is smart for him individually. If HCMR and the Huskers don’t win and improve the brand dramatically in the coming years NU is done. They will get left behind. No one will care what they did THIRTY years ago. No one cares what anyone did 30 months ago. Today is about tv, gambling, and any other revenues with a few commas in the numbers. The small handful of people with any real control over the game don’t care about the game. They care about the money they can make off the game. That TA apparently is tangled up in some kind of pissing match with the University is comical. He’s NU’s athletic CEO during an incredibly vulnerable period. His genius is not that he hired HCMR to win games. He did that. His genius is that he hired HCMR to make NU relevant enough — wins, AND persona, credibility, connections, blah, blah — to survive the new world. HCMR understands brand. That was what made a good hire a great hire. NU needs to be one of the last teams standing. Oregon State and Washington State are only the beginning. How is it possible that TA is flirting with A&M now? Someone close to the powers to be needs to have a come to Jesus with the BOR and whomever in the state to explain that this transformation of college football is happening RIGHT NOW. Either they throw weight in that direction hard and treat it like the crisis it is, or we get to play with the have nots in a few years.

A lot we don't know isn't there. One thing most of us seem to agree upon, however, is that he should be willing to stay at NU at a lower salary than he could command at A&M.

Don't think I understand why they feel that way. Sorry, you have to pay to play nowadays. May not like it, but it seems to be the rule.

I sincerely believe this is a move to force the Regents to hire the President HE wants, so he can move forward with the stadium projects. Everything on the drawing board is being held up by administrative inaction.

In other words, to quote a former president of OU, Trev wants a university that the football team can be proud of?

Still my opinion that this is a leverage play.

I don't for one second doubt his loyalty to Nebraska, but I do believe there are things that must be transpiring behind the scenes he doesn't agree with in regards to leadership and direction of the Nebraska brand.

I believe he is using A&M as a wake up call for admin.

Last edited:
This could be a blessing in the fact that it rights the behind the scenes foundering ship whether he stays or not?

I think he stays....just my opinion.

Last edited:
I think it's premature to bash Trev. For all we know A&M could have come to him and said we are willing to double your salary if you agree to be our AD. How many people on here would flat out say no? Most likely, an agent is involved, and will use it to squeeze more out of Nebraska, and if they don't get what they want, he will go. If it turns out Nebraska was willing to meet his demands, and he still leaves, then it's time to say don't let the door hit you in the ass.
That is not the case. Trev just got a bump to $1.7m. That goes up to $2.1m in 2026 and $300k per year after that. If he stays 8 years, another $3m bonus.

I think the Texas AD is the highest paid at $2.5m

Its not about money unless someone is threatening the contract he already has.

I hate people who play games, though I understand why they do. From what I have read there are capable alternatives to TA. If the powers that be had balls, they would preempt any move by TA and severe the relationship.

The fact that he has allowed the doubt and uncertainty to go on this long means that he IS playing games. He is certainly entertaining the notion of leaving.

I hate people who play games, though I understand why they do. From what I have read there are capable alternatives to TA. If the powers that be had balls, they would preempt any move by TA and severe the relationship.

The fact that he has allowed the doubt and uncertainty to go on this long means that he IS playing games. He is certainly entertaining the notion of leaving.

I feel the same way. I understand the argument that this is the way the game is played, but I personally value loyalty. I don't want mercenaries who will go to the highest bidder. I want people who want to be at Nebraska.

That said, there are some who are suggesting that this stems from a dispute with the administration. If that's the case, I will concede that may be a different situation.

Circumstances are not in his favor. Byrne at least left AFTER helping turn Nebraska into a Championship level department with elevetated levels of donations and funding raised. We will eventually find out what level of Scoggins liable suit claims are filed and IF he leaves what level of buy in the Board may or may not have. Trev shouldn't have full reign, everyone has a boss, there has to be checks and balances in place. At the end of the day, baseball and basketball seem to be improved, nothing won yet. Football seems to be improved, nothing won on that front. If he cashes in his chips he can claim things were getting better but it's really just slightly above "okay." We are the countries Okayist athletic department.

Last edited:

Certainly don't agree with this unless you want him gone! Having big nads has nothing to do with unless you want to corner him and make him leave.

In other words, to quote a former president of OU, Trev wants a university that the football team can be proud of?
That’s the thing. As funny as that was all those years ago, I don’t believe the schools and the sports are really connected any longer. It’s more like UNL the school. And UNL the athletic corp. I suspect TA wants a football team the athletic department can be proud of… and be funded by.

Re: loyalty. Should Trev leave, I would feel betrayed. I think most of us would. But, does that mean Trev lacks loyalty to NU? Is “stay at all costs” the only stance that reflects loyalty?

Or, what if the only motivation is more money. Who are we to determine whether Trev should be content with what he’s making now? Why should loyalty to his alma mater be prioritized over his and his family’s income?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back