• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Trev Alberts to Texas A&M

I hate people who play games, though I understand why they do. From what I have read there are capable alternatives to TA. If the powers that be had balls, they would preempt any move by TA and severe the relationship.

The fact that he has allowed the doubt and uncertainty to go on this long means that he IS playing games. He is certainly entertaining the notion of leaving.

If they pre-emptivey cut Trev, the University owes Trev. If Trev leaves, Trev owes the University.

If this is true, it is just plain sad. With the recent successes of many of our Husker sports teams, I was finally starting to get back a little of the confidence I had in being a loyal Cornhusker alum and fan over the years. Being the AD at the school where you played and graduated, and within a relatively short time, turning things around for most of the Husker teams, and thus being highly coveted by Nebraska alumni and fans, are intangibles that, when added to a relatively decent and competitive salary, what is the incentive to go somewhere else? With both Rhule and Hoiberg making such a big deal about joining the Husker family when they were hired, they looked like they were buying it big time. For Trev to go somewhere else for more money, but without those intangibles, to me indicates that maybe I have been misreading this person all along.

I have had this job for over 25 years. I make good money and am happy with where I am at. I can also tell you that if I were offered twice what I currently make and it was a good situation, I would be gone despite being loyal for the last 25 years.

For most anyone an opportunity like that would be very hard to pass on, if they're honest with themselves.

I can say 'At what point is enough, enough', but I don't make $1.7 million dollars, so it's just hypothetical.

I think it's premature to bash Trev. For all we know A&M could have come to him and said we are willing to double your salary if you agree to be our AD. How many people on here would flat out say no? Most likely, an agent is involved, and will use it to squeeze more out of Nebraska, and if they don't get what they want, he will go. If it turns out Nebraska was willing to meet his demands, and he still leaves, then it's time to say don't let the door hit you in the ass.
Everybody knows presumption is bigger in texas

If they pre-emptivey cut Trev, the University owes Trev. If Trev leaves, Trev owes the University.
Don't care. TA has had all sorts of time to clarify his concerns, intent, wishes. The fact that he is allowing this to drag on, even for a few hours, is a slap in the face to Nebraska. I would call his bluff, if that is what it is, and dismiss him.

Last edited:
Don't care. TA has had all sorts of time to clarify his concerns, intent, wishes. The fact that he is allowing this to drag on, even for a few hours, is a slap in the face to Nebraska. I would call his bluff, if that is what it is, and dismiss him.
On going negotiations are likely why we've heard nothing, but whatever.

No, you would not if you were responsible for the budget. If you did, you would owe him a lot of money. If he leaves, he will have a buyout to pay.

Seriously? We are worried that a very competent AD might leave to go to a better situation, and your solution is to fire him? This isn't the craziest idea I have heard, but I will give you bonus points for trying.

I don't know this to be accurate, but if this is Alberts openly entertaining an offer to force action by those above him, I'm not sure I'm in agreement.

I don't think he can clarify his concerns in public and still guide things the way he's trying to, if that's even the case. I'd be more likely to terminate if he went public with demands that had to be met to get him to stay. That's a position he really can't take.

If it's all about money, why sign an eight year extension in November of last year?

I'd let this play out a bit before I took any action as an administrator.

I worked for a company that had the best owner, and best atmosphere I have ever worked for, the owner brought in someone that was all hat, and no cattle, I said he went to youtube university. He was the type that took credit for everyone else's accomplishments. I put in my notice after I saw the direction it was headed and many attempts to point it out, the owner took it personally even though I told him he was the best owner I had worked for, but I just couldn't work with a phoney. About a year later they got rid of the phoney after he ran out of people that could make him look good. In the meantime, I started my own company, and now I do the same thing for my old company, but instead of a salary, I bill them for everything I do. My point is, it is most likely about the situation, and nothing at all to do with the loyalty.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back