• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Too soon, but...

Wow. Scott Frost is not a saint. He's a human being who happened to play QB for 2 years at Nebraska. He can fail like anyone else. He's coached for 5 seasons and 4 of them had losing records. I hope he doesn't fail at NU, but if he does, it would not constitute a cosmic disaster. And if he does, we move on to the next coach. And we keep doing it until we find one that wins enough to put us back on the map. It's really not hard to understand.

I hate the phrase, "If Frost can't do it......then who can?"

Who can? The next guy.

The point is we'll be further and further away. Two incredibly stupid firings led us to this point. We had two winning coaches, and they weren't winning enough for our liking, apparently.

That fan base also does not give them a huge home field advantage or a huge recruiting advantage like NU. Pressure does not impact a good coaches W-L records, if it does then they are not the right coach.

C

No, but it impacts the longevity of a coach. Lincoln has always been a fish bowl and it's just gotten worse. This job can absolutely eat people alive. And no matter what Frost says, he'll get criticized. So yeah, our fanbase kinda sucks, just like every other big time fanbase.

The flip side is Iowa State doesn't have a lunatic fanbase that criticizes what color sweatshirt a coach wears on the sidelines. So to say it's a lower pressure job is an understatement.

True. The pressure to succeed is undoubtedly higher in Lincoln.

But if fan base criticism is enough to negatively impact the job you are supposed to do, head coaching for a major program is not for you. Also, Frost is still very much being protected by his Nebraska ties.

Last edited:

This is the first or second year in almost 20, that we aren’t paying two coaches. After Covid revenue losses and no guarantee of fans in 2021, NU is in no position to throw good money after bad. We will ride this out.
At what cost? Do you seriously think this program isn’t going to start bleeding fans?

This is the first or second year in almost 20, that we aren’t paying two coaches. After Covid revenue losses and no guarantee of fans in 2021, NU is in no position to throw good money after bad. We will ride this out.

Again, I agree -- now is not the time to make a coaching change. Let's revisit this in late-2021. There is a point where paying to cut bait does less long-term harm than holding onto a coach so long that it negatively impacts recruiting and possibly ticket sales.

Hopefully, SF can catch some breaks next year
Nebraska is certainly due for some breaks to go their way. It’s been uphill for years. Fighting penalties, turnovers, coaching changes, administration changes, conference changes, it’s been unsettled. Some breaks are certainly due, by law of averages I’d guess for the Cornhuskers.

Again, I agree -- now is not the time to make a coaching change. Let's revisit this in late-2021. There is a point where paying to cut bait does less long-term harm than holding onto a coach so long that it negatively impacts recruiting and possibly ticket sales.
Rest assure, it will be revisited in less than a year. Have to see how the season rolls. Looks tough. Can the Huskers rise to the challenge? Ahhhh, have to see. Many questions remain. I’d be happy with a 6-6 record, should the schedule be played, and considering the past 4 years of losing football.

Rest assure, it will be revisited in less than a year. Have to see how the season rolls. Looks tough. Can the Huskers rise to the challenge? Ahhhh, have to see. Many questions remain. I’d be happy with a 6-6 record, should the schedule be played, and considering the past 4 years of losing football.

I agree—a .500 season would feel like 9 wins at this point. I would be very happy with that next year.

I'm with you on that. 6 wins, which would mean a bowl game -- I'll take that.

I don't believe that is at all unreasonable to expect as a fan. Shouldn't be for any coach by year four. We've lowered the bar as low as it should ever have to go.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back