• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Too soon, but...

100%, and it may not be a Scott Frost for HC as much as it is we cannot go through another change. Many are just whining for the sake of it. When SF was hired I doubt there were many who disagreed with the move!

I doubt there were ANY who believed any coach would be capable of three straight losing seasons at Nebraska and would be guaranteed to continue to coach. I also doubt any fan would have said that would be acceptable before the fact.

Last edited:

interesting to me we are debating whether to give him 5, 6, or 7 years when people like Mac Brown and Jimbo Fisher turn around programs in less than 12 months. Someone posted we can get a p5 coach when we offer 5-7 million. How about we stop dinkin around and put up the real cash to get someone here if Frost doesn’t work out. Seems like we are always one step behind other schools in terms of an offer. I would go after the top names in CFB after year 7. We gave Frost our word we would give him 7 years, we should stick to that (even though it probably still won’t work out after 4 unsuccessful years). At the end of year 7, go after the big boys.

Last edited:
is there a current P5 coach who would consider Nebraska IF Frost were to be let go after next year?

LikelyInferiorCottonmouth-small.gif

No, we fire coaches who have had better seasons than every season he's had at ISU except one.

However, Matt Campbell has coached Iowa State to more wins in the past four years than any other four years in the entire history of Iowa State, dating back to 1892. And his 9 wins in 2020 has only been accomplished two other times in 129 seasons -- and that was with a couple less games played than a normal schedule this Covid season. Regardless, ISU will finished ranked higher than they've ever been ranked.

Firing Campbell now would be the equivalent of firing Devaney or Osborne at their peak -- not Bo in 2014.

Last edited:

However, Matt Campbell has coached Iowa State to more wins in the past four years than any other four years in the entire history of Iowa State, dating back to 1892. And his 9 wins in 2020 has only been accomplished two other times in 129 seasons -- and that was with a couple less games played than a normal schedule this Covid season. Regardless, ISU will finished ranked higher than they've ever been ranked.

Firing Campbell now would be the equivalent of firing Devaney or Osborne at their peak -- not Bo in 2014.
Unless I’m missing something, I think @goodnterribles point was it makes no sense to hire Matt Campbell because in the past we have fired coaches with more wins than he has gotten in recent seasons. Therefore, he doesn’t fit the profile for us. I think there may have been a bit of sarcasm as well lol.

Unless I’m missing something, I think @goodnterribles point was it makes no sense to hire Matt Campbell because in the past we have fired coaches with more wins than he has gotten in recent seasons. Therefore, he doesn’t fit the profile for us. I think there may have been a bit of sarcasm as well lol.

Sure, I generally agree. There was some tongue-in-cheek, as that's the best way to operate in the forums. :)

My point, however, that 8-9 wins at Iowa State is the historical equivalent of 12-13 wins at Nebraska. Campbell doesn't have near the resources nor recruiting talent at Iowa State that Nebraska does -- and probably never will.

Last edited:
Another losing season would not show improvement overall in the program. Sure we can point to improved defensive play this year but it was still an overall failure. Even if the D improves a little more next year and maybe there is improvement at a position or two on offense, if it is another losing season that means overall the program is not improving. Rebuilds at blue blood programs don't take this long with good coaches and are just an excuse after three years.

C
There have been many Blue Blood programs who have gone thru many coaches to turn the corner. We’ve got the right one to do just that!

Not going to disagree that we should keep frost. I’m not on the fire him yet Wagon. I do not think he is trending up though. I believe if he doesn’t fix the penalties and fumbles we are looking at another losing season and the noise you are hearing now I’ll only amplify. As for who we should get I agree we shouldn’t just limit to a p5 coach already coaching if we do end up firing frost.
Totally agree with this. I was the biggest ScoFro supporter around but I have seen zero evidence he has this thing headed in the right direction. The fumbles, interceptions, penalties and disarray in the kicking game all point to a lack of focus on discipline and fundamentals. Overall the talent is up, so we have that. But even there, roster spots have been a revolving door so creating depth has been like running on a treadmill. For all the talk about culture, I am wondering if culture is the issue. Is there a lack of accountability? Guys get anointed as starters and go out a lay eggs.

Dude needs to get to .500. Now if for whatever reason he is 6-7 but all the penalties and turnovers are reduced and the team looks coached but he is stuck with a QB that can’t ID and hit open receivers maybe he goes on to year 5. But sticking with the turnover prone QBs we have is a recipe for more of the same. Go hit the transfer portal, HARD. Maybe Chad Morris’s kid or the older McCafree. Bringing a solid RB would also be pretty helpful too.

I doubt there were ANY who believed any coach would be capable of three straight losing seasons at Nebraska and would be guaranteed to continue to coach. I also doubt any fan would have said that would be acceptable before the fact.
Nobody thinks the results are acceptable. Riley sank the ship, and SF is rebuilding. Completely rebuilding from the ground up. Takes longer than 3 years. Probably 5-7. We cannot afford to set the program back yet again by firing the HC, and definitely cannot fire SF at this current point. 2-3 years down the road is a different story but right now, absolutely no way.

Totally agree with this. I was the biggest ScoFro supporter around but I have seen zero evidence he has this thing headed in the right direction. The fumbles, interceptions, penalties and disarray in the kicking game all point to a lack of focus on discipline and fundamentals. Overall the talent is up, so we have that. But even there, roster spots have been a revolving door so creating depth has been like running on a treadmill. For all the talk about culture, I am wondering if culture is the issue. Is there a lack of accountability? Guys get anointed as starters and go out a lay eggs.

Dude needs to get to .500. Now if for whatever reason he is 6-7 but all the penalties and turnovers are reduced and the team looks coached but he is stuck with a QB that can’t ID and hit open receivers maybe he goes on to year 5. But sticking with the turnover prone QBs we have is a recipe for more of the same. Go hit the transfer portal, HARD. Maybe Chad Morris’s kid or the older McCafree. Bringing a solid RB would also be pretty helpful too.
Spot On!

Nobody thinks the results are acceptable. Riley sank the ship, and SF is rebuilding. Completely rebuilding from the ground up. Takes longer than 3 years. Probably 5-7. We cannot afford to set the program back yet again by firing the HC, and definitely cannot fire SF at this current point. 2-3 years down the road is a different story but right now, absolutely no way.

I don't believe anyone has said fire Frost now. Not that I recall seeing here. Maybe some outlier, but certainly not a common feeling expressed. Many have strongly suggested some changes in the assistant coaching staff, however.

I will say, if Frost produces a fourth consecutive losing season next year, there's a real chance he won't survive it. And realistically, how many coaches turn a team around after starting with four straight losing seasons? That doesn't happen -- especially in the era of big $$$ salaries.

I still struggle with the idea that Nebraska was in worse shape when Frost arrived than many other schools where head coaches turn things around within a couple years. Actually, I think the Nebraska football program was in better shape when Frost inherited it than it is now. I'd gladly take back many of those Riley players Frost had to start.

A dumpster fire was Rutgers, that hadn't won a single Big Ten game the past two seasons prior to Schiano coaching them to 3 wins in his first season. A dumpster fire was Indiana who hadn't had a winning season in 9 years prior and losing seasons in 21 of the prior 22 before Tom Allen arrived an produced winning seasons in years 3 and 4 -- as well as their first ranked season in over 30 years. A dumpster fire was Iowa State, who was 8-28 in the three years prior to Campbell -- yet Matt Campbell produced an 8-win season year two -- and hasn't looked back. Does ISU have it easier to turn things around than Nebraska? Better recruiting classes? Better facilities? Better financial resources? No. What they have is a better coach.

The dumpster fire at Nebraska is right now. It's a team that hasn't seen this many consecutive losing seasons since Bill Jennings, who managed to rattle off 5 of them -- but mostly because his salary was the equivalent of around $100,000 in today's money and because he beat Bud Wilkinson's Sooners in his 3rd season. Obviously, there was no reality that Jennings could coach 3 straight losing seasons then eventually turn it around. Nebraska is not only a team that is losing at a rate not seen in over a half-century, it's seeing a team split over whether or not to play a bowl game, it's seeing players transferring out at a much higher rate than transferring in (more so than any team in the Big Ten), it's seeing a 2020 recruiting class that crumbled when four of its 4-star players departed in less than a year -- and another saw all of about one snap this season due to "issues."

Why should I believe this team is in better shape now than it was in 2018? You may hope it is. I see no evidence.

Anyhow, I'm fine with another year of Frost. Said that prior to the season, during the season, and now. But if he doesn't win next season, I will not be some small minority who is wanting a change. And some with money and power will be putting pressure on this happening, whether it does or not. It will get very ugly among the donors, regents, fan base, media, etc if Frost doesn't produce next season. And there's a very good chance we're not going to maintain our current level of recruiting. And it will likely be chaos among all interested/involved in the football program, which we'd see played out here at a level not yet reached.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back