• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Too soon, but...

I agree with some of what you said here. The thing I wanted to point out is the coach in Madison came from Pittburgh with a record under .500. The coach in Ames was hired from Toledo. Do you really envision Nebraska fans being happy with either of those hires. It's easy to see their results and say why couldn't we do that? It's a lot harder to actually find the right guy. My point has been that Nebraska is not a destination job anymore and we cant just get some proven national champion to coach us.
I agree with all of this! Nebraska fans are never happy. We are a fickle bunch! No guarantee we find the right coach immediately but I believe it can be done. While Nebraska isn’t a destination job it is a good job. We are set up for success in the west. We consistently have better or equal classes to our peers in the west. Hopefully Frost turns it around and stays for 25 years.

Just curious, at this point in the Huskers program when we are passed “make it or break it”, why go after another name that is not in the top five of CFB? If I am the president of NU, or the AD, we are fixing this problem once and for all. That means I am damn near writing a blank check (within reason and common sense obviously) to get someone here who WILL fix this program.
It would be irresponsible to fire a 35 million dollar coach and then go and hire a 50 million dollar coach during the middle of a pandemic. Especially since it still doesnt guarantee wins. I'm a big believer that you are better off hiring a coordinator or getting a young up and coming head coach on the cheap that may be the next big thing. Not really a fan of getting power 5 head coaches for power 5 jobs. Les miles was supposed to fix Kansas. Kevin Sumlin is already out at Arizona. Just because they have been there done that doesnt mean they do it here.

It would be irresponsible to fire a 35 million dollar coach and then go and hire a 50 million dollar coach during the middle of a pandemic. Especially since it still doesnt guarantee wins. I'm a big believer that you are better off hiring a coordinator or getting a young up and coming head coach on the cheap that may be the next big thing. Not really a fan of getting power 5 head coaches for power 5 jobs. Les miles was supposed to fix Kansas. Kevin Sumlin is already out at Arizona. Just because they have been there done that doesnt mean they do it here.
Not a fan of the bold, hasn't worked for us in the past. I think Les Miles was a hail mary hire for Kansas, and is proving to be a bust, which is why LSU fired him. Kevin Sumlin goes in the same category as Miles. Bottom line, if someone fails somewhere else, instead of hoping for a better outcome in our system, why not go after the best of the best? Thats my point. Enough nickle and diming. Break out the big guns.

Right now it's the financially responsible thing to do. Along with the fact that coaching changes have decimated our program for the past 20 years and yea I'm willing to ride this one out a few more years. Another coaching change will not fix "our" problem. Every school is different it's not one size fits all.
Seemed to work pretty well for Florida and Texas A&M. That's just in the last year. And those programs didn't take five years, those programs took less than 12 months. Just saying, money doesn't solve every problem, but it would likely solve this one. Pony up the money for the best, or be willing to put up with mediocre results. Its not popular to say that, but sometimes truth is tough. Ill give it to you though, its not a sure science, but IMPO its better than risking assistant coaches.

Last edited:
Next kickoff, 235 days to go :eek:

7 at home, 4 away, and 1 neutral. Could be 3 more neutral sites .... CCG, CFP semi and NC ;)

O3gEL0V.png

1. The expectations are to run a clean program and start winning football games. If you never played or coached sports you wouldn't understand how difficult it can be to get over the hump. Frost is working to overcome a lot of bad juju with a team that's been affected by it for over a decade now. It's why he talks so much about a culture shift. We are wired to lose at the moment.

2. Plenty of Huskermax posters that already say its over. If he doesnt go .500 yada yada yada. Pay attention and you will notice people love to talk coaching changes around here which this whole thread was created to do.

3. I absolutely do not think Nebraska can hire the most sought after coach in the country again. If you do then you are delusional.
4. Stoops, Urb, and Saban. You mean 3 of the better coaches in college Football history? If that's who you think we should hire then u will never be satisfied cuz it ain't happening. As for the pirate? The same dude that got in trouble for disciplining players too hard in previous stops? That just won 4 games at Mississippi State and the last win was against Tulsa and his team got in a massive brawl and he follows it up with saying it's basically not a big deal cuz it's a Footbal game. Ya I will pass on that guy. Nebraska fans love to complain we don't run the ball enough but some still want Mike Leach as a coach?

As far as Frost pedigree goes you can look up his resume but I will help you out.
-undefeated season at UCF two years after he got there and they won 0 games the year before he got there.
-successful career as qb coach and offensive coordinator for oregon when they had probably the best offense in the country.
-Well known that he spent time around some of the best coaches in the game like Walsh Bellichek, Kelly, and more.
-successful player that won a national championship and played in the league.

I'd argue that pedigree is ok.

5. As for your smart a** question i will answer it in the most simple way possible. No coach can run a team in bad culture and negativity. The fans have destroyed the psyche of this team more than anyone except Pederson and Callahan. Support the program means backing your head coach and injecting some belief in to the program. Recruits and players know that Husker fans dont ever have anything good to say. Why would they ever play hard for us? Or even come in the first place? Or in that case even stay? Keep creating a toxic environment and u as a fan will get to keep seeing the crappy results on saturdays.
Stating opinions as estimated fact. Strong attempts.

-3 years. Any further culture problems are his. Not Riley's.

-"Plenty" is a stretch. Maybe don't look without seeing.

-We can get top-end coaches here. Inferiority complexes are not desired in AD candidates at NU.

-I named 3 coaches who didn't have a "resume" Frost has when hired to bigger gigs. They seem to be doing quite well. Leach was brought up because too many think that a history as a former player at a high level seems to be important for a coach (as did you). I think we would all agree that Leach has had a damn good run. Former success as a player has never shown to equate to success as a coach.

-Don't cherry pick Frost's resume. He's also lost 4 out of 5 seasons. The 0-fer year was with O'Leary half retired and a program with players who could compete. Frost did add well to that base in a short time.

-I'm pretty sure UT, OSU, Florida, LSU, FSU, A&M, Michigan - all have fan environments similar or worse than NU. That is an overplayed hand and incorrect.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back