• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Too soon, but...

Sure, I generally agree. There was some tongue-in-cheek, as that's the best way to operate in the forums. :)

My point, however, that 8-9 wins at Iowa State is the historical equivalent of 12-13 wins at Nebraska. Campbell doesn't have near the resources nor recruiting talent at Iowa State that Nebraska does -- and probably never will.

The flip side is Iowa State doesn't have a lunatic fanbase that criticizes what color sweatshirt a coach wears on the sidelines. So to say it's a lower pressure job is an understatement.

The flip side is Iowa State doesn't have a lunatic fanbase that criticizes what color sweatshirt a coach wears on the sidelines. So to say it's a lower pressure job is an understatement.
Absolutely TRUE GnT!! Or farting and not calling it, or chewing tobacco, or beard.......or critique every freaking word of a presser. Give the guy a break and try supporting the team for the next couple years. :Hair Fire:

Last edited:
I don't believe anyone has said fire Frost now. Not that I recall seeing here. Maybe some outlier, but certainly not a common feeling expressed. Many have strongly suggested some changes in the assistant coaching staff, however.

I will say, if Frost produces a fourth consecutive losing season next year, there's a real chance he won't survive it. And realistically, how many coaches turn a team around after starting with four straight losing seasons? That doesn't happen -- especially in the era of big $$$ salaries.

I still struggle with the idea that Nebraska was in worse shape when Frost arrived than many other schools where head coaches turn things around within a couple years. Actually, I think the Nebraska football program was in better shape when Frost inherited it than it is now. I'd gladly take back many of those Riley players Frost had to start.
I'd even take back many of the Pelini players that Frost inherited:
Luke Gifford
Mick Stoltenberg
Cole Conrad
Tanner Farmer
Jerald Foster
Freedom Akinmoladun

A dumpster fire was Rutgers, that hadn't won a single Big Ten game the past two seasons prior to Schiano coaching them to 3 wins in his first season. A dumpster fire was Indiana who hadn't had a winning season in 9 years prior and losing seasons in 21 of the prior 22 before Tom Allen arrived an produced winning seasons in years 3 and 4 -- as well as their first ranked season in over 30 years. A dumpster fire was Iowa State, who was 8-28 in the three years prior to Campbell -- yet Matt Campbell produced an 8-win season year two -- and hasn't looked back. Does ISU have it easier to turn things around than Nebraska? Better recruiting classes? Better facilities? Better financial resources? No. What they have is a better coach.
Every situation is different, so we're not necessarily comparing apples to apples. Congrats to those coaches, but what Allen inherited vs. what Campbell inherited vs. what Frost inherited is all different. I think Frost should be doing better, but that has nothing to do with Allen or Campbell or Bob Devaney.

The dumpster fire at Nebraska is right now. It's a team that hasn't seen this many consecutive losing seasons since Bill Jennings, who managed to rattle off 5 of them -- but mostly because his salary was the equivalent of around $100,000 in today's money and because he beat Bud Wilkinson's Sooners in his 3rd season. Obviously, there was no reality that Jennings could coach 3 straight losing seasons then eventually turn it around. Nebraska is not only a team that is losing at a rate not seen in over a half-century, it's seeing a team split over whether or not to play a bowl game, it's seeing players transferring out at a much higher rate than transferring in (more so than any team in the Big Ten), it's seeing a 2020 recruiting class that crumbled when four of its 4-star players departed in less than a year -- and another saw all of about one snap this season due to "issues."
It's easy to identify the problems if that's what you want to focus on, but some of it is lacking context. We've seen several players leave, some of whom were fairly highly rated recruits, but the transfer portal also includes walk-ons leaving the program. Since we have a much higher number of those types of players, it stands to reason that our transfer portal numbers would be higher. Has anyone done a breakdown of scholarship players leaving vs. our peers? We are probably still high, but maybe not quite the outlier it appears like based on raw numbers.

Split on playing a bowl game? The fans are probably more "split" than the team is on that topic.

Why should I believe this team is in better shape now than it was in 2018? You may hope it is. I see no evidence.
I see a team that makes mistakes but has never quit on each other. I see a team that is competitive in football games far more often than not. The record is what it is (which is ugly), but we're not far from being a winning program. I think we have a more solid foundation right now than the house of cards we were a few years ago.

Anyhow, I'm fine with another year of Frost. Said that prior to the season, during the season, and now. But if he doesn't win next season, I will not be some small minority who is wanting a change. And some with money and power will be putting pressure on this happening, whether it does or not. It will get very ugly among the donors, regents, fan base, media, etc if Frost doesn't produce next season. And there's a very good chance we're not going to maintain our current level of recruiting. And it will likely be chaos among all interested/involved in the football programs, which we'd see played out here at a level not yet reached.
I agree that Frost needs a better season next year. I think the difference between you and me right now is that I firmly believe it will happen, while you almost seem to be rooting against it (almost).

You are very good at researching and putting that knowledge into writing. I'd love to see you (and others) invest that energy into finding positive things to help build up the program instead of finding things to help tear it down. There are good things out there if you want to find them.

We, as a fan base, have spent the last two decades being angry and bitter about something or another. I'm in that group, too. But maybe that's something we should try to put behind us for a little while. Easier said than done, I suppose... for all of us.

We could win more games but still have a losing record. That would be improvement by winning more games than our 3 this year. And yes, that will be good enough for to him to coach in 2022. Then expectations will be higher.

Last edited:
The record is what it is (which is ugly), but we're not far from being a winning program.

I fear, however, that we may be Scott Frost and staff away from being a winning program. There is strong evidence to suggest that we could be a winning program right now were it not for some questionable coaching decisions.

I'd even take back many of the Pelini players that Frost inherited:
Luke Gifford
Mick Stoltenberg
Cole Conrad
Tanner Farmer
Jerald Foster
Freedom Akinmoladun

Every situation is different, so we're not necessarily comparing apples to apples. Congrats to those coaches, but what Allen inherited vs. what Campbell inherited vs. what Frost inherited is all different. I think Frost should be doing better, but that has nothing to do with Allen or Campbell or Bob Devaney.

It's easy to identify the problems if that's what you want to focus on, but some of it is lacking context. We've seen several players leave, some of whom were fairly highly rated recruits, but the transfer portal also includes walk-ons leaving the program. Since we have a much higher number of those types of players, it stands to reason that our transfer portal numbers would be higher. Has anyone done a breakdown of scholarship players leaving vs. our peers? We are probably still high, but maybe not quite the outlier it appears like based on raw numbers.

Split on playing a bowl game? The fans are probably more "split" than the team is on that topic.

I see a team that makes mistakes but has never quit on each other. I see a team that is competitive in football games far more often than not. The record is what it is (which is ugly), but we're not far from being a winning program. I think we have a more solid foundation right now than the house of cards we were a few years ago.

I agree that Frost needs a better season next year. I think the difference between you and me right now is that I firmly believe it will happen, while you almost seem to be rooting against it (almost).

You are very good at researching and putting that knowledge into writing. I'd love to see you (and others) invest that energy into finding positive things to help build up the program instead of finding things to help tear it down. There are good things out there if you want to find them.

We, as a fan base, have spent the last two decades being angry and bitter about something or another. I'm in that group, too. But maybe that's something we should try to put behind us for a little while. Easier said than done, I suppose... for all of us.
There are zzero let me repeat that zero positives when you only win three games. At the end of the day the coaches and players aren’t getting it done. Sick of the give it time they don’t have talent. Those are excuses and all the terrible coaches that do nothing but lose have those. Time to stop with the excuses and just win some games. Shoot the fans aren’t even asking for championships just five hundred at least then we would look like we are improving.

Nobody thinks the results are acceptable. Riley sank the ship, and SF is rebuilding. Completely rebuilding from the ground up. Takes longer than 3 years. Probably 5-7. We cannot afford to set the program back yet again by firing the HC, and definitely cannot fire SF at this current point. 2-3 years down the road is a different story but right now, absolutely no way.

5 to 7 years, no way with NU's resources should it take a good coach that long no matter how bad it was before. As *** has pointed out, it was not as bad as some say. I agree that there is no reason to fire now or even after a .500 season next year. If a coach at NU can't get to .500 in 4 years then they are just not a good coach.

C

If I were Campbell I'd never leave ISU. He's building something. SF played on a good team once, would like to know what his plans are in detail other than comments like, "We want to emphasize the run game." When?

If frost is gone in the next ten years for any reason other than his tragic death, I will never watch husker football again. This self congratulatory fan base is irritating enough as it is. Just as some states keep voting idiots into office (I’ll let you choose your particular idiots), we get the program that we deserve. Just my opinion. This is not a give him x number of years deal. This is a Scott Frost is our coach forever deal, if it takes ten years to get good so be it

Wow. Scott Frost is not a saint. He's a human being who happened to play QB for 2 years at Nebraska. He can fail like anyone else. He's coached for 5 seasons and 4 of them had losing records. I hope he doesn't fail at NU, but if he does, it would not constitute a cosmic disaster. And if he does, we move on to the next coach. And we keep doing it until we find one that wins enough to put us back on the map. It's really not hard to understand.

I hate the phrase, "If Frost can't do it......then who can?"

Who can? The next guy.

That fan base also does not give them a huge home field advantage or a huge recruiting advantage like NU. Pressure does not impact a good coaches W-L records, if it does then they are not the right coach.

C

Sadly many fans have reached the point where they believe .500 is a good season? Yes of course it's an improvement from the past 4 years but it's not even close to a good season. Frost is getting year 4 and perhaps even year 5 without having a .500 season next year. That's TBD by the powers to be but there's little joy in the Husker Nation at the moment. I can only hope that next year is truly a positive turning point. We need to start winning many of those oh so close games. I've done my own research and find very very few coaches at major programs that had 4 consecutive losing seasons and then turned it around. Can only hope that Frost will be the exception and (OTHER THEN QB's) is getting the talent to make it happen. However until we have a reliable quality Big 10 QB it's not going to happen imo.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back