• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Too soon, but...

58-19 Nope, 27-22 Nope, 67-27 Nope, 19-19 Nope, 12-20 stay tuned... a combined 183-107 (63%) since Dr Tom retired in '97.

... For what it's worth, Iowa is 171-114 (60%) over the same time period - not saying that's great or any kind of measuring stick in the slightest, but noteworthy nonetheless - just hanging around this asylum the past 23+ years, & many times it's reminiscent of an Elizabeth Taylor marriage counseling... all while scoping out prospects in case this one doesn't happen to work out...variety is the spice of life as she used to say.

Frankly, nothing short of Championship football ever seems good enough for this fan base, not saying that's wrong, I just believe impatience and a failure to appreciate how challenging success is (+ the framework/stability necessary for sustained long term success) - has clouded judgement multiple times & certainly question how supportive/divisive/impactful this type of never ending chatter/talk/panic has been for the program over the decades. :Sign2cents:
It’s the vocal minority my friend. Just remember....... opinions have absolutely zero impact on ANYTHING that’s going on with husker football. It’s funny how some of these people act like their suggestions and ideas have any meaning. Yea I realize this is an opinion forum (believe me I get it) but it also showcases a certain amount of insanity within the husker community.
Good post @coherbie

Why four years of losing seasons not many coaches would survive that in the first place
My point is why limit yourself to current P5 head coaches in a coaching search. Tom Osborne, Dabo Swinney, Matt Campbell, Ryan Day, Lincoln Riley, Bob Stoops, etc. None were previous P5 head coaches. The next great coach is where you find him, HC at a P5 or not.
Why grab a middling or bottom of their conference coach just because they have P5 experience. No thanks. I can't name a single coach out of the PAC 12 I'd be excited to be named the next NU coach. Saban, Swinney, Day, Riley- they aren't switching P5 schools. Most anyone else in a P5 conference, meh.

I'll stick with HCSF. 2021 will be telling but I'm in the camp that NU is trending in the right direction.

If frost is gone in the next ten years for any reason other than his tragic death, I will never watch husker football again. This self congratulatory fan base is irritating enough as it is. Just as some states keep voting idiots into office (I’ll let you choose your particular idiots), we get the program that we deserve. Just my opinion. This is not a give him x number of years deal. This is a Scott Frost is our coach forever deal, if it takes ten years to get good so be it
100%, and it may not be a Scott Frost for HC as much as it is we cannot go through another change. Many are just whining for the sake of it. When SF was hired I doubt there were many who disagreed with the move!

So if he goes 5 losing seasons in a row he should get a 6th? That is crazy talk. If he has a losing season next year I can't see how anyone could think he is going to all of a sudden turn it around a year later. If he has a losing season next year that will be a total of 5 losing seasons out of 6 for his career. I would love to hear how anyone can justify another year after 4 losing seasons in a row. I am all ears but don't feed me rebuild BS excuses, those ended this year.

C
He should get to ride his contract out showing steady improvement which I believe he has. Nobody is happy with our record over his first 3 seasons but we are completely rebuilding wether you like it or not. Taking the lumps that go with it is part of the process.

Last edited:
I laughed at the few who suggested Matt Campbell the last time around, but I'm definitely not laughing now. Matt Campbell should absolutely be #1 on the list should Frost be let go after the 2021 season.

Long term, whenever Frost does depart NU at some point (retirement, moves on to the NFL, etc.), if he ever wants to coach in college, Zac Taylor. Yeah, that'll probably bring back some bad memories because he'll probably want to bring his OC, Callahan's son, with him, but Zac can coach.

Last edited:
My point is why limit yourself to current P5 head coaches in a coaching search. Tom Osborne, Dabo Swinney, Matt Campbell, Ryan Day, Lincoln Riley, Bob Stoops, etc. None were previous P5 head coaches. The next great coach is where you find him, HC at a P5 or not.
Why grab a middling or bottom of their conference coach just because they have P5 experience. No thanks. I can't name a single coach out of the PAC 12 I'd be excited to be named the next NU coach. Saban, Swinney, Day, Riley- they aren't switching P5 schools. Most anyone else in a P5 conference, meh.

I'll stick with HCSF. 2021 will be telling but I'm in the camp that NU is trending in the right direction.
Not going to disagree that we should keep frost. I’m not on the fire him yet Wagon. I do not think he is trending up though. I believe if he doesn’t fix the penalties and fumbles we are looking at another losing season and the noise you are hearing now I’ll only amplify. As for who we should get I agree we shouldn’t just limit to a p5 coach already coaching if we do end up firing frost.

He should get to ride his contract out showing steady improvement which I believe he has. Nobody is happy with our record over his first 3 seasons but we are completely rebuilding wether you like it or not. Taking the lumps that go with it is part of the process.

Frost cannot just "ride his contract out." In the world of big time college athletics, it is important for recruiting that a university demonstrate the confidence it has in a coach. Thus, extensions and Frost has already been given one extension. I don't know what the norm is, but I would guess that there are few P5 coaches out there with less than 5 years left on their contract due to the extensions that are given every couple of years.

Frost cannot just "ride his contract out." In the world of big time college athletics, it is important for recruiting that a university demonstrate the confidence it has in a coach. Thus, extensions and Frost has already been given one extension. I don't know what the norm is, but I would guess that there are few P5 coaches out there with less than 5 years left on their contract due to the extensions that are given every couple of years.
He can and as long as Moos is here, he will. No way he gets shown the door and he shouldn’t. The results so far stink but they apparently did with Solich, Callahan, Pelini, & Riley too. SF will right the ship and we will be a competitive force in the West and larger B1G before the end of his current contract.

Another losing season would not show improvement overall in the program. Sure we can point to improved defensive play this year but it was still an overall failure. Even if the D improves a little more next year and maybe there is improvement at a position or two on offense, if it is another losing season that means overall the program is not improving. Rebuilds at blue blood programs don't take this long with good coaches and are just an excuse after three years.

C

If frost is gone in the next ten years for any reason other than his tragic death, I will never watch husker football again. This self congratulatory fan base is irritating enough as it is. Just as some states keep voting idiots into office (I’ll let you choose your particular idiots), we get the program that we deserve. Just my opinion. This is not a give him x number of years deal. This is a Scott Frost is our coach forever deal, if it takes ten years to get good so be it

6 years of losing seasons under SF and I will no longer watch Husker football. Glad you are not the AD.

C

Is that just because he's Scott Frost? Or you'd feel the same with any coach? Did you feel this way with Riley?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back