• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

QB Heinrich Haarberg is N (Husker Legacy)

Yikes. Love how we’re already under selling HH before he has even played a down of senior year high school wasnt maskers best offer SDSU and doane? I’ll trust the judgement of the D1 coaches making the offers. Competion percentage is such a bad stat to look at in high school btw, especially someone playing C1 ball where most kids dont gave jerry rice type hands.

I was having thoughts about thin talent to throw to, or hand off to as well. I would assume if they play football this year he isn't going to have much fun. When you are 'the guy', the one who is supposed to be the star, or has gotten offers from the big schools, every kid on the other side of the field is hoping to get a shot at you so they can say, 'I sacked him on a blitz', or 'picked off a pass'. It's human nature, but I hope he's at least mentally prepared for it.

Yikes. Love how we’re already under selling HH before he has even played a down of senior year high school wasnt maskers best offer SDSU and doane? I’ll trust the judgement of the D1 coaches making the offers. Competion percentage is such a bad stat to look at in high school btw, especially someone playing C1 ball where most kids dont gave jerry rice type hands.
Like I said I could be wrong. Maybe he is just growing into his frame and his lower body and torso have to catch up. He does have some zing in the arm if he can get the torso and lower body caught up. My concern was him being flat footed. If he is an 11.1 100M guy and hasn't grown the explosiveness in his calves yet, watch out for straight line speed, and maybe help add some shifting.
Again if Coach V and him get one the same page starting with footwork, coach Duval and the guys can get him built proportionally to his frame by his 3rd year. By his 3rd year I bet he will have battled our much improved defense a good bit as well.

Some decent reps against a faster pace and multiple looks.

That would be awesome. A second option in three years could be him and Fidone blowing the flipping top off defenses. Add Sevion/Ramir/RT showing some Mo Washington like skills receiving and we will have to had by dumb luck found 2 consistent threat WRs I would bet.
Go watch MM and Vedral tape at UCF. OU tape with Lubick.
I am thinking that this stuff is going to line up pretty nice since we have 4 sweet classes worth of QBs. Coach V figure out the special sauce, HCSF's passion is infectious, they are going to start playing like he did. Tough, smart, and always brought the passion. Like wanted to drive your will into the ground passion.
Sounds like a pretty awesome mix, especially when he has someone he can hand reigns over to more with time in Austin and Lubick.
I am rooting for all those guys because that sounds pretty sweet to me.

Haarberg absolutely has a high ceiling, but JMPO, Smothers has the highest ceiling of the four. I mean, all of them have tremendous potential, it's all subjective. I wouldn't be shocked at any of these four becoming the best of the bunch at some point, I just personally like Smothers the most.

I see your point because I REALLY like what I've seen from Smothers, especially the toughness. I'd say that he has the highest floor, at the very least. I only give the nod to Haarberg on his having a higher ceiling due to his freakish measurables.

if Verduzco can't squeeze some juice out of these two with a couple years in the program, he's not the QB coach that I believe him to be. I'm not worried at all that that will happen.

Well Maskers just happened to break all of Frost's state records, at the same school, with 8% higher completion rating, and had more reps reading defenses. Excellent direct comparison for HS.

Not questioning anything about the youn man, he is a heck of an athlete. But just he is at in the early stages as a developmental QB is all. We need to pump the brakes on the among those with highest ceiling. If he had fundamentals and no reps, then we could is all. Look at Smothers. He is a point guard out there. He keeps his chest more open to the field on rollouts. 2AM first year when we had more consistent threat running and Stanley was here also, the same. And in year 2 2AM got his shoulder and whatever else injured which almost resulted in JD getting decapitated far too often. That kid will always have my respect for going up and taking those shots last year.

Why? Mechanics matter. It takes a ton of repetition. So before we build a kid up to fall, let's encourage them to keep working. Prove internet dummies like me wrong, like walkons and Nebraska HS athletes have have been doing to other teams for years.

Heck there have been plenty of Makovickas, Parrellas, Cricks, Shanles, Janovichs, Longs, Kelsays, Tomichs etc that went on to do exactly that. Many people had no clue who they were coming out of HS but they went on to the NFL.

QBs just take more reps.

#GBR

Well Maskers just happened to break all of Frost's state records, at the same school, with 8% higher completion rating, and had more reps reading defenses. Excellent direct comparison for HS.

Not questioning anything about the youn man, he is a heck of an athlete. But just he is at in the early stages as a developmental QB is all. We need to pump the brakes on the among those with highest ceiling. If he had fundamentals and no reps, then we could is all. Look at Smothers. He is a point guard out there. He keeps his chest more open to the field on rollouts. 2AM first year when we had more consistent threat running and Stanley was here also, the same. And in year 2 2AM got his shoulder and whatever else injured which almost resulted in JD getting decapitated far too often. That kid will always have my respect for going up and taking those shots last year.

Why? Mechanics matter. It takes a ton of repetition. So before we build a kid up to fall, let's encourage them to keep working. Prove internet dummies like me wrong, like walkons and Nebraska HS athletes have have been doing to other teams for years.

Heck there have been plenty of Makovickas, Parrellas, Cricks, Shanles, Janovichs, Longs, Kelsays, Tomichs etc that went on to do exactly that. Many people had no clue who they were coming out of HS but they went on to the NFL.

QBs just take more reps.

#GBR
I should be clear i also agree on Smothers being the better prospect than HH. But comparing masker and HH, especially stats wise, is a mute point because HH hasnt even played his senior season yet. Who knows he could come out and up that completion percentage and break those records.

I live in the central part of the state and am pumped to make it to a couple of his games if theres a season. I just dont agree with how people are already penciling him in as a “position change”. personally i think hes a great QB prospect, and am glad to have him on board!

Plus it always matters a little more to the corn fed boys. Those who dont grow up and live here dont fully understand that! #gbr

Last edited:
I should be clear i also agree on Smothers being the better prospect than HH. But comparing masker and HH, especially stats wise, is a mute point because HH hasnt even played his senior season yet. Who knows he could come out and up that completion percentage and break those records.

I live in the central part of the state and am pumped to make it to a couple of his games if theres a season. I just dont agree with how people are already penciling him in as a “position change”. personally i think hes a great QB prospect, and am glad to have him on board!

Plus it always matters a little more to the corn fed boys. Those who dont grow up and live here dont fully understand that! #gbr
This!

I may be in the minority here, but HH reminds a lot of what we would have done with Bubba Starling( I know different staffs and all.) with that said I do think HH has a better arm than Starling did, but both were big athletic guys, with most believing TE would be their eventual position, I do believe HH will get a shot at QB( just like starling would have) but with getting Smothers this year and the QB’s we are on for next year, unless HH makes major improvements, I don’t believe he will be a QB at Nebraska for very long( whether transferring or change in pos.) The biggest think for me with HH is how fast is his blinker, a lot of his workout videos are great of how he throws, but for this offense to work like it should, you have to read quick( Milton was amazing at it) from what I have sense, that is where HH has to do to become a real contender.

I don't think there's any hurry for Haarberg to switch positions in college - I would be a little surprised if he switches positions at all. I think he's going to be a good backup at least, with an outside chance of starting. That he's athletic enough to have people considering him in another position is great. Can't wait to see him hit the field.

I don't think there's any hurry for Haarberg to switch positions in college - I would be a little surprised if he switches positions at all. I think he's going to be a good backup at least, with an outside chance of starting. That he's athletic enough to have people considering him in another position is great. Can't wait to see him hit the field.
I believe he has a RS year and then another year as show me years, he was recruited as a QB, the reason I say this is because the QB they got before him is very fast is accurate and agile, while HH is good for his size, Smothers has legit 4.4 speed and watch his film, but that’s only part of the equation, there is a chance that next years QB recruit could be better, and depending on what happens at TE, that could be the easier road to playing time, I myself think he has more upside as a flex TE, and thinking out of the box here, wonder if he could put on weight and pull a Lane Johnson( he was a QB in HS, converted to TE and eventually Tackle to a 1st rd pick and pro bowler)and become an extremely athletic tackle, his ceiling at QB is high, just feel his ceiling as a flex is way higher, 6’6” guys that move like he does would be a mismatch everyday of the week, but as I say all this I’m not writing him off as a QB, like I said it all depends on how the dominoes fall.

I believe he has a RS year and then another year as show me years, he was recruited as a QB, the reason I say this is because the QB they got before him is very fast is accurate and agile, while HH is good for his size, Smothers has legit 4.4 speed and watch his film, but that’s only part of the equation, there is a chance that next years QB recruit could be better, and depending on what happens at TE, that could be the easier road to playing time, I myself think he has more upside as a flex TE, and thinking out of the box here, wonder if he could put on weight and pull a Lane Johnson( he was a QB in HS, converted to TE and eventually Tackle to a 1st rd pick and pro bowler)and become an extremely athletic tackle, his ceiling at QB is high, just feel his ceiling as a flex is way higher, 6’6” guys that move like he does would be a mismatch everyday of the week, but as I say all this I’m not writing him off as a QB, like I said it all depends on how the dominoes fall.
I think the Justin Herbert comparison will have the staff give him every opportunity to be a QB. I also believe his own recognition that he’s very raw, and his being a Husker fan most of his life, gives him the rare gift of patience, so playing his position of choice might be more important than seeing the field early.

All just guessing at this point.

I think the Justin Herbert comparison will have the staff give him every opportunity to be a QB. I also believe his own recognition that he’s very raw, and his being a Husker fan most of his life, gives him the rare gift of patience, so playing his position of choice might be more important than seeing the field early.

All just guessing at this point.
True, although Herbert was in an offense that showed a lot of his strengths, The biggest reason for that comparison is the size and athletic ability and to a major degree both were somewhat over looked, while HH is an intriguing prospect and I do think he could become a very solid QB, I still don’t see him waiting behind someone and riding the pine his whole career, the point you make about him being a Husker fan etc kinda went out the window with Vedral, who many said would stay and be a backup because of his roots. I believe we both agree it’s too earlier to tell, and the simple fact we are having a discussion about someone’s athleticism and potential has to be a good thing.

Like I said I could be wrong. Maybe he is just growing into his frame and his lower body and torso have to catch up. He does have some zing in the arm if he can get the torso and lower body caught up. My concern was him being flat footed. If he is an 11.1 100M guy and hasn't grown the explosiveness in his calves yet, watch out for straight line speed, and maybe help add some shifting.
Again if Coach V and him get one the same page starting with footwork, coach Duval and the guys can get him built proportionally to his frame by his 3rd year. By his 3rd year I bet he will have battled our much improved defense a good bit as well.

Some decent reps against a faster pace and multiple looks.

That would be awesome. A second option in three years could be him and Fidone blowing the flipping top off defenses. Add Sevion/Ramir/RT showing some Mo Washington like skills receiving and we will have to had by dumb luck found 2 consistent threat WRs I would bet.
Go watch MM and Vedral tape at UCF. OU tape with Lubick.
I am thinking that this stuff is going to line up pretty nice since we have 4 sweet classes worth of QBs. Coach V figure out the special sauce, HCSF's passion is infectious, they are going to start playing like he did. Tough, smart, and always brought the passion. Like wanted to drive your will into the ground passion.
Sounds like a pretty awesome mix, especially when he has someone he can hand reigns over to more with time in Austin and Lubick.
I am rooting for all those guys because that sounds pretty sweet to me.
Excellent post. More positive mojo (or in this case juju) is totally welcome my brother. GBR

We all know what opinions are like. This kid will be just fine. That is a statement not an opinion. GBR

With all do respect it's an opinion. None of us know if this kid will be fine until he arrives at Nebraska and competes for the QB job. Now that is a fact

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back