• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

QB Heinrich Haarberg is N (Husker Legacy)

This kid may just surprise us all. A very natural athlete

He could be Nebraska's Justin Herbert. A very under recruited local kid that turns into something special. Everyone is worried about the competition he is playing. I think it is overblown. No one seemed to worry about Scott Frost's competition when he was coming out of Wood River. If he is that good he should dominate a lot. Well game 1 he dominated. Doesn't mean he is going to look that good every week though.

He is just too gifted athletically and size wise to pass up.

He could be Nebraska's Justin Herbert. A very under recruited local kid that turns into something special. Everyone is worried about the competition he is playing. I think it is overblown. No one seemed to worry about Scott Frost's competition when he was coming out of Wood River. If he is that good he should dominate a lot. Well game 1 he dominated. Doesn't mean he is going to look that good every week though.

He is just too gifted athletically and size wise to pass up.

Not to temper the optimism as I like him a lot too but he acknowledged in the past week he is not college readya nd has a lot to learn once he gets to Nebraska. As to competition level that will remain a question mark until he sees the field in college. He appears to have all the tools to be successful though

Not to temper the optimism as I like him a lot too but he acknowledged in the past week he is not college readya nd has a lot to learn once he gets to Nebraska. As to competition level that will remain a question mark until he sees the field in college. He appears to have all the tools to be successful though

IMO there is no such thing as a can't miss kid. That includes all the 5 star players out there. There is way to many intangibles that go into making a good college football player. The fact that he realizes he has a lot to learn and is not ready to play is a good sign.

As I said you don't pass on a 6'5" 200lb QB with good arm strength and runs a 4.6 40. He may become 240lb outside linebacker.

Not trying to start an argument. However couldn't the exact same arguments have been made about Brook Berringer in 1991? There were other Big 8 schools looking at him but basically every one nationally had never heard of him. However when given his shot he stepped up to the plate and hit it out of the ball park. That is what I see as a real possibility for Haarberg. Will he need some polishing. Absolutely.

Not trying to start an argument. However couldn't the exact same arguments have been made about Brook Berringer in 1991? There were other Big 8 schools looking at him but basically every one nationally had never heard of him. However when given his shot he stepped up to the plate and hit it out of the ball park. That is what I see as a real possibility for Haarberg. Will he need some polishing. Absolutely.
I think the point RR is trying to make is that Justin Herbert started as a true freshman, where as Haarberg is going to need some time.

There are kids who come out of small schools who do well. On the other Hand Peyton Newell is an example of a kid who was highly rated who did not. It's always a concern without a doubt. With that being said I like Haarberg and will be rooting for him

I think the point RR is trying to make is that Justin Herbert started as a true freshman, where as Haarberg is going to need some time.

My comparison was that Justin Herbert was a local kid. That wasn't highly recruited and they have similar measurables.

He is from Eugene. He had a good HS career but nothing super out there. He was committed to either Montana or Montana St., they thought they were stealing him. I don't know why he was overlooked. I don't know if he just didn't go to a lot of camps or what. Oregon took a second look at him and offered.

I believe he came in the same year as the kid that Nebraska was recruiting that decommited and went to Oregon.

Haarberg is coming into a different situation at Nebraska there wasn't a clear starter at Oregon. He came into the situation and won the job.

He may never play a down at QB for Nebraska, but he is too athletic to pass up. It sounds like he plays some defense. Who knows, as I said maybe he ends up at OLB.

No doubt he's a very raw project, but the beauty of our current roster is we do have some good players ahead of him, who not only will hopefully eliminate the need for him to see the field early, but who can also help mentor him. We obviously have a QB coach and a head coach who can guide him, but it's always good to actually see another player doing the things expected at the position. It's much harder to create, than to recreate.

Not to upset the apple cart. But the talent Brooke had in those days versus what Heinrich would have today is a bit different as well. Not saying Brooke wasn’t amazing because he was. But having the talent on both sides of the ball was pretty tough to stop.

It's also harder for kids from small towns/rural areas to compete at the highest levels now than it was 20 and 30 years ago. Back then, a kid in the city still had advantages - like the ability to play youth football, but Dean Steinkuhler from Sterling, NE would have entered the program on relatively even footing as a lineman from Omaha. It's not like that today. Now a 10 year old in Omaha can get IDed, put on elite youth teams, and start to receive REAL training in their pre-teen years. They can also use a place like the Warren Academy to further their physical development and technique. I'm not intimately familiar with the training/camps available in Kearney, but I am sure they are not as good. Taking it a step further, a kid from Burwell or Broken Bow probably doesn't even play organized football till they hit middle school.

Think about Ty Hahn from Johnson, NE who played 8 man. He might have the same athleticism and hands as someone like Zavier Betts, but he's way behind in terms of development. Ty is likely to spend his first year in the program just learning technique - how to get off press coverage, how to set up a DB so he can break open, how to catch a ball in traffic. Betts already had experience with those things. While Hahn is working on the basics of those skills, Betts can work on mastering them. That's a lot of ground to make up in 4 years.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back