• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska Friday night, September 20th, against Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much hand wringing and breathless protest. Most of us would prefer to play on Saturday. Ok. This game is the hand we are dealt.

Here's what I know will happen:

Nebraska fans will still pack the stadium. Nebraska fans will turn this into a gigantic party. Night game atmosphere in Memorial stadium will be outrageous. Restaurants and Bars will do heavy pre and post game business. Tailgating will still happen and may even be more fun than usual. More eyeballs will be on this game Friday night, than if we played Saturday.
TV ratings will be higher than usual. Serious recruits will still find ways to attend, others will see the atmosphere on television, even if it's recorded. The players will be jacked up to play the 400th under the lights in front of fans who are juiced and ready in Memorial stadium.

Yes, a lot of people will need to make adjustments for this schedule change. Most will adjust, make the most of it, and find a way to enjoy the event. We're Nebraskans. It's in our blood. It's what we do...

GO BIG RED!
Well put.

Michigan and tOSU have come out and send they will not ever play a Friday night football game.

Yet the B1G conference agreed to TV contracts that require Friday night football games. So the other 16 or 14 or 12 teams in the conference have to fulfill that requirement?

There's an arrogance that exists that they are better, they are different, that they are subject to a different set of rules than the rest of us.

So you're saying that next year those teams will have to play a Friday night game? I do not believe that will happen. How long before those schools go "Texas" on this conference ... such as kicking out current members or agreeing to imbalanced revenue distributions ...
Actually I believe they have said they will not play a Home Game on Friday nights. I do not like OSU at all but they have played some season opener's and in 2019 at Northwestern on Friday night. Michigan I don't believe has played a Friday night game:mad:.
What is it with Nebraska vs Illinois on Fridays??? seems like its always Illinois on Fridays for the Huskers

There's a lot of season ticket holders in South Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, and Kansas. I don't think those States care about NU scheduling conflicts.
So you really believe that since they live in another state they will not come. Pro tip. They have vacation days in those states as well.

Some of you just don't get it. It's not me that's conflicted, it's the high school kids & their families & fans who now can't go to the game or even watch them live. Also they now have maybe half the stands or more empty because many fans will go see the Huskers.
I agree as I don't like the Friday games either but I do know that if my kid is playing or even just on the team I would go to the HS game. I know here in Nebraska so many of the HS games are streamed online for free that attendance is down as fans can watch or check in online for updates and the Husker game will also be available online

Last edited:

Actually I believe they have said they will not play a Home Game on Friday nights. I do not like OSU at all but they have played some season opener's and in 2019 at Northwestern on Friday night. Michigan I don't believe has played a Friday night game:mad:.
What is it with Nebraska vs Illinois on Fridays??? seems like its always Illinois on Fridays for the Huskers
Beginning of the season is a bit different ... its like the Packers and Eagles opening the NFL season on Friday in Argentina.

School hasn't started for most, there is a true yearning for football. And high school games haven't started.

It seems like we've gotten less and less input on whether or not these games are allowed. I don't think there are many of these schools that want a Friday game. Not sure we have the clout to be able refuse playing on Fridays, regardless of home or away.
If you raised a big enough stink about it, maybe you could have reversed it? NU’s fans travel from afar to go to these games. 6-8-10 hr drives for many. This screws them.

Beginning of the season is a bit different ... its like the Packers and Eagles opening the NFL season on Friday in Argentina.

School hasn't started for most, there is a true yearning for football. And high school games haven't started.
I agree the first week of the season is different. I know here in Nebraska the first week of the HS season starts Thursday August 22 so they do start pretty early maybe other states start later

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back