• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Lincoln Southeast DT Bryson Williams Commits To Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Difference is TO offered every one of them a scholarship.

We did not offer this kid so we have a difference in evaluation here from a competitor who seems to be more successful in their evaluations on linemen than us.
In what way are they more successful in evaluating linemen than Diaco or Parrella?

We did not offer this kid so we have a difference in evaluation here from a competitor who seems to be more successful in their evaluations on linemen than us.
See post 128. TO never offered him.

If we get one or two of the players listed in bold, then not offering Williams is a non-issue. If we end up empty-handed at D-Line after turning down Avery (initially) and then not offering Williams, then there will rightfully be some questions.
Yep... it's not really about who you offer or don't offer, it's who you get. Going back again to the Harrison Phillips situation, we thought we could do better then the kid plays as a true freshmen for Stanford and we end up with one guy who never makes it thru fall camp and another still trying to get on the field. But you then look at some other years where we didn't offer Drew Ott, but we got Valentine, Curry, McMullen, Moss, I mean I get that none of those guys finished their entire career here but talent-wise you can't argue those.

I wish people would stop with comparisons to a time when we could take a class of 30+ including partial qualifiers. It's not a fair comparison to the recruiting situation this year. I'd love to have Williams this year but if the staff have done their evaluations and there are bigger fish, than so be it.

More success evaluating D-linemen than Diaco and Parrella? How do you come to that conclusion?

See post 128. TO never offered him.
My post was in response time to a list that did not include Jay Novacek. TO obviously did not offer him. We did sign kid brother "Bump" who was one of best athletes in the state who sadly suffered severe knee problems.

The list were in-state athletes that other top power five teams evaluated the same as TO. Jay Novack did not fit this criteria. There are very few that TO did not contest.

In what way are they more successful in evaluating linemen than Diaco or Parrella?

More success evaluating D-linemen than Diaco and Parrella? How do you come to that conclusion?
OK, we have had personnel changes at both schools in recent years. The results of decisions and development by previous personnel at both schools would lead me to question whether we gave this kid a realistic appraisal. Not 100% fair on my part.

@ShortSideOption has my proxy. He best expresses my views and frustrations and the issues our recruiters have to consider.

We can't take Nebraska kids for granted (and I don't think a Riley is). But we have to land at least one of those out of state players we judge higher. Recruiting is the art of the possible. Until Wisconsin offered this kid we were not "just another school." In a competitive situation in-state, if we're first with an offer, we'll get 90+% wins. No other place is that true.

Last edited:

OK, we have had personnel changes at both schools in recent years. The results of decisions and development by previous personnel at both schools would lead me to question whether we gave this kid a realistic appraisal. Not 100% fair on my part.

@ShortSideOption has my proxy. He best expresses my views and frustrations and the issues our recruiters have to consider.

We can't take Nebraska kids for granted (and I don't think a Riley is). But we have to land at least one of those out of state players we judge higher. Recruiting is the art of the possible. Until Wisconsin offered this kid we were not "just another school." In a competitive situation in-state, if we're first with an offer, we'll get 90+% wins. No other place is that true.

I agree with pretty much everything in your post, aside from the bold. Even before MR told him there wouldn't be an offer, he was speaking more highly of KSU than NU in some circles. Had visited 3 or 4 times IIRC. May have committed more quickly to Northwestern than Wisconsin according to some. And when he spoke to other local recruiting guys like Iowa, he was quick to point out that members of his family "aren't Nebraska fans". Part of that is probably telling them what they want to hear, and I belive he would have liked a Nebraska offer, but I think some other area schools were just as high on his list.

Lets all forget for a brief moment that this kid is from Nebraska.

Of all Wisconsin's 16 commits this class we have offered ZERO. We aren't recruiting against them (or really any of the B10 west). We have a ton more resources and not the academic restrictions of Wisconsin a.g. Jordan Stevenson. We are battling the B10 east (PSU and OSU specifically) for recruits as well as OU, USC, and a handful of SEC teams. We are boxing out of our class for recruits, and winning, given our results the past ten years. How we develop our superior recruits will be judged in the win-loss column in the next couple of years.

Also, impo not sure this kid is better than patrick arnold or brett kittrel

And runs a different defense, and doesn't appear to be in the top schools for some higher ranked DLinemen. As for better evaluation, what are you judging on, the last two years?

My post was in response time to a list that did not include Jay Novacek. TO obviously did not offer him. We did sign kid brother "Bump" who was one of best athletes in the state who sadly suffered severe knee problems.

The list were in-state athletes that other top power five teams evaluated the same as TO. Jay Novack did not fit this criteria. There are very few that TO did not contest.
Jay was a pass catching TE, not known for his blocking skills. Yes, he had a nice college and pro career, but he wasn't the fit for our system at that time. His pro career was in part due to what he'd been able to accomplish at Wyoming.

Ricky Davis, played against him when Fremont went to state finals in 1986. Went to Stanford.
Junior Bryant went to Notre Dame from that same team. Gene Williams went to Iowa State not sure he played the same year but if not he graduated the year before. Junior and Gene played in the NFL. Some good players left Nebraska and these were guys I played against and that is just one school. Kind of explains why I hate CP, we got beat 14-0 in the state finals not sure how many they had go to Nebraska but there were several.

Last edited:

I actually think TO did not offer him because he did not fit the mold for a TE on TOs teams. Jay was a great receiving TE not a great blocker. So why would he offer him?

I graduated in 86 from CP, Jandric
QB Gatorade all-America went to Notre Dame, along with Mickey Joseph OL also went to Notre Dame. I remember Gene Williams telling me that ISU had better steaks when recruiting!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back