• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Lincoln Southeast DT Bryson Williams Commits To Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.
May as well start this thread. His recruiting is picking up momentum, recently offered by Ohio, and has UCF, Navy, and Kansas State offers. He will be this years Brett Kittrell. The problem is numbers. We took 3 DTs last year, have the Davis twins that are redshirt sophomores. Mapieu is already on board from York, Nebraska. What I don't know is what we want for DTs in this class. We are taking at least two and I would assume maybe one more. The other problem is that we are in on some unbelievably talented DTs from within the radius. Will be interesting to see how this one develops.

May as well start this thread. His recruiting is picking up momentum, recently offered by Ohio, and has UCF, Navy, and Kansas State offers. He will be this years Brett Kittrell. The problem is numbers. We took 3 DTs last year, have the Davis twins that are redshirt sophomores. Mapieu is already on board from York, Nebraska. What I don't know is what we want for DTs in this class. We are taking at least two and I would assume maybe one more. The other problem is that we are in on some unbelievably talented DTs from within the radius. Will be interesting to see how this one develops.
I was just thinking about this topic this morning. What do you think our board looks like at the DT position? Is Trout our #1 target or someone else?

I like the idea of securing your DT class in state, when it's logical, and then targeting 1 or 2 big fish. Maybe even look at Trout as a DE.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about this topic this morning. What do you think our board looks like at the DT position? Is Trout our #1 target or someone else?

I like the idea of securing your DT class in state, when it's logical, and then targeting 1 or 2 big fish. Maybe even look at Trout as a DE.
Mapieu is your NG for this class, which gives you a ton of flexibility. Because you can bring guys like Trevor Trout in and say "if you grow, you're a NG, if you don't, you're a DE." Trout is #1 on our board, but I have a feeling things will just get too difficult with him. Parrella will give it his all though. Michael Thompson, a 4 star from St. Louis is a better bet I feel. Calvin Avery is a 4 star from Bishop Dunne down in Texas where we pulled Damion Daniels from on signing day, we have a real good shot there too. You then have guys like Daniel Parker from Blue Springs, MO, Mykee Irving to keep the Calabasas pipeline going, and whoever we decide to offer from IMG and other states. We are loaded for possibilities at the DT spot and only have 1 or 2 spots left.

In regards to Williams, his football instincts are off the charts. Watch when he doesn't get blocked, he stays on the LOS and takes on the trap coming his way, a lot of younger kids would take off towards the ball and take them right out of the play. He also appears to be very athletic, starting and stopping easily and changing direction. The issue is going to be how he plays off blocks and takes on double teams, which might be his weakness in the film I saw. But I haven't dove into it enough to come up with an answer yet. But that initial "weakness" that I possibly saw is what we probably are going to value most in the 3-4 recruiting DE/DT prospects. Guys like Watts made a living splitting double teams in their highlight films.

EDIT: I watched it again and he appears to get off blocks well too, maybe not as explosive as a Watts, but is definitely not a liability there. The problem is his film compared to the guys I mentioned from St. Louis is a bit different. Will be interested to see how Parrella plays this one. Definitely get him down to workout and see him in person.

Last edited:
Mapieu is your NG for this class, which gives you a ton of flexibility. Because you can bring guys like Trevor Trout in and say "if you grow, you're a NG, if you don't, you're a DE." Trout is #1 on our board, but I have a feeling things will just get too difficult with him. Parrella will give it his all though. Michael Thompson, a 4 star from St. Louis is a better bet I feel. Calvin Avery is a 4 star from Bishop Dunne down in Texas where we pulled Damion Daniels from on signing day, we have a real good shot there too. You then have guys like Daniel Parker from Blue Springs, MO, Mykee Irving to keep the Calabasas pipeline going, and whoever we decide to offer from IMG and other states. We are loaded for possibilities at the DT spot and only have 1 or 2 spots left.

In regards to Williams, his football instincts are off the charts. Watch when he doesn't get blocked, he stays on the LOS and takes on the trap coming his way, a lot of younger kids would take off towards the ball and take them right out of the play. He also appears to be very athletic, starting and stopping easily and changing direction. The issue is going to be how he plays off blocks and takes on double teams, which might be his weakness in the film I saw. But I haven't dove into it enough to come up with an answer yet. But that initial "weakness" that I possibly saw is what we probably are going to value most in the 3-4 recruiting DE/DT prospects. Guys like Watts made a living splitting double teams in their highlight films.

EDIT: I watched it again and he appears to get off blocks well too, maybe not as explosive as a Watts, but is definitely not a liability there. The problem is his film compared to the guys I mentioned from St. Louis is a bit different. Will be interested to see how Parrella plays this one. Definitely get him down to workout and see him in person.
Thanks for the insight. It's awesome to have such an abundance of top DL talent within the 500 mile radius, hopefully we can capitalize on some of it.

Early Husker Targets: The staff would love to fill their d-line class with players inside the 500-mile radius. They already have a commitment from in-state standout Masry Mapieu out of York. Mapieu received an offer after impressing John Parrella and the Husker staff last June during a Friday Night Lights camp - and accepted on the spot. The staff is also heavily recruiting a pair of prospects out of St. Louis (MO). Trevor Trout (Chaminade) visited Lincoln last summer and Parrella has made him a priority for 2018 ever since. Michael Thompson (Parkway North) has not made it out to see Nebraska yet but you can be sure Parrella is trying to change that.

Nebraska is also in a heated recruiting battle with Oklahoma for Dallas (TX) Bishop Dunne star Calvin Avery, who is high school teammates with 2017 signee Damion Daniels. Avery is arguably the best interior defensive lineman in the state of Texas for 2018 and would be an ideal fit at the nose, but like T.J. Pledger, right now he is trending towards the Sooners.

The Huskers are in pursuit of a couple guys who would be great fits at defensive end. Daniel Parker (Blue Springs, MO) was offered last June after a strong performance at the team's Big Man camp. Parker, who some felt was the best lineman at any of NU’s camps last summer, committed to Missouri last July but reopened his recruitment in September. The Davis twins attended the same high school and Parker looks up to the duo. He would be a nice addition to the class. Joshua Landry (Houston, TX) is also a nice end prospect for Nebraska's 3-4. Landry was recently named the defensive line MVP at The Nike Opening Regional in Houston. The Huskers are in very good shape right now and are considered his leader at the moment.

One local name to keep an eye on is Lincoln Southeast standout Bryson Williams. After an impressive performance at last summer's Friday Night Lights camp, Williams put himself on Nebraska's radar. He recently received a scholarship from Kansas State and one could be coming soon from Minnesota. UCLA and Iowa State are also beginning to look at him. Williams might be a nice fit at defensive end and could be someone the staff keeps tabs on this fall.

https://forum.huskermax.com/index.php?articles/turning-the-focus-towards-2018.105/

Like I said in my article, I think Williams is a good option at DE. But like *** also pointed out, Nebraska is "in" on some guys they like better. Williams and Bryant are going to have to participate in a FNL camp this June and show off for Diaco and co. to really put themselves in line for offers. I dont think Nebraska can go wrong with offering either of them.

Good stuff N2FL... looks like we just offered Ronnie Perkins from St. Louis as well and he's real excited about the offer. Holy cow we could fill the rest of our DL class from St. Louis!

I always hate the idea of losing a talented local kid before we've solidified recruiting a position. Yeah, we might be in on that five star, but so are many others which are more attractive.

I always hate the idea of losing a talented local kid before we've solidified recruiting a position. Yeah, we might be in on that five star, but so are many others which are more attractive.
Gotta find that happy medium between settling on local or being over-confident on the more highly ranked players.

I heard Mapieu had some major work to do academically. I can't confirm that, however.

I always hate the idea of offering a talented local kid before we understand what is available to us nationally. Yeah, we might be in on that five star, and should continue to fight for him rather than cede his recruitment to others. I'm not into the Pelini philosophy of recruiting.

I heard Mapieu had some major work to do academically. I can't confirm that, however.

I always hate the idea of offering a talented local kid before we understand what is available to us nationally. Yeah, we might be in on that five star, and should continue to fight for him rather than cede his recruitment to others. I'm not into the Pelini philosophy of recruiting.
I understand. The problem is you often end up losing both.

The Huskers need to stick to their board. If Bryson Williams is a 4-5 star talent, or rated evenly or higher than other guys at his position, the Huskers should offer. If not, then cool the jets and wait. If they offer too early, he likely takes the offer and ends the possibility of the Huskers getting someone they think is better. I'd hold off on offering.

Last edited:

The Huskers need to stick to their board. If Bryson Williams is a 4-5 star talent, or rated evenly or higher than other guys at his position, the Huskers should offer. If not, then cool the jets and wait. If they offer too early, he likely takes the offer and ends the possibility of the Huskers getting someone they think is better. I'd hold off on offering.
Just to clarify are you talking in the coaches eyes or in the eyes of the major services? I ask because if you are saying in the eyes of rivals or whoever I couldn't care less. These coaches have proven already with guys like Tre Bryant that they can spot a diamond in the rough.

There's the issue... local talent ranked lower than guys we are in good shape with. You take the higher ranked guy and people locally are mad that a kid from the same city you play in is going Power5. You take the lower ranked local kid you have people that think we need to recruit better to be able to compete with Michigan and Ohio State, they get more ammo. Really the only solution is to win games and get to a CCG or two in the next few years to take the second guessing away.

I'm ok with someone proving me wrong on this but 30% of our players on the three deep during the TO days were from Nebraska as I recall. So I would like to see more Nebraska players even if not as highly graded. That is I would be ok with 3 star Nebraska players. 2 star, get them to walk on. Why, because of the intangibles! I'm going by my recollection but when I did reasearch on a couple of years I was right! 30%!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back