• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Lincoln Southeast DT Bryson Williams Commits To Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could not agree more in a case like this.

His commitment tweet shows we are 'just another school' with the photo he posted.

Unless it's Trevor Robinson or Baker Steinkuhler, I don't mind not offering kids from in-state that we are "just another school" to. If this kid had been dying to be a Husker and ended up not getting one and landing at Wisky, maybe. But this isn't a Harrison Phillips situation that made me livid.

Last edited:

Need to remind people he is not originally from Nebraska dying to play for the Huskers. We were just another offer for him, and while proximity would have been in our favor, if he hadn't moved from Illinois here a few years ago, no one would care we didn't offer him due to not fitting what we wanted. We absolutely have better people on our board that we turned away because we didn't have a spot for them. Judge Culpepper, Daniel Carson, and then Avery in the mix if Watts doesn't qualify all are probably better prospects than this kid. Now, I would agree that we had proximity for a P5 player in our favor, and if we don't land those guys I just listed this probably becomes more of an issue. But it's absolutely not at this point.

I agree completely. Other than ... do we know he wasn't/isn't a Husker fan? I guess I don't know who he grew up rooting for in Illinois .. but moving to Lincoln at age 14 gave him plenty of time to adopt the Huskers as his team. It appears he was on the field for the spring game. (I really don't think it's that important, regardless.)

No doubt there are bigger fish in the pond. And enough big fish that we can probably snag enough to not worry about losing this Southeast kid. Maybe assuming we have a solid season. Anyhow, it's not like the door is completely closed.

I could not agree more in a case like this.

His commitment tweet shows we are 'just another school' with the photo he posted.

To be fair, he also said, "if they (Nebraska) offer, great."

I'm not sure what other attitude he should have. Basically, he's saying he's not going to get all upset if they don't offer, but if they do, he'd like it.

Last edited:

I agree completely. Other than ... do we know he wasn't/isn't a Husker fan? I guess I don't know who he grew up rooting for in Illinois .. but moving to Lincoln at age 14 gave him plenty of time to adopt the Huskers as his team. It appears he was on the field for the spring game. (I really don't think it's that important, regardless.)

No doubt there are bigger fish in the pond. And enough big fish that we can probably snag enough to not worry about losing this Southeast kid. Maybe assuming we have a solid season. Anyhow, it's not like the door is completely closed.
He at one point was just hoping for a Northwestern offer. And I don't want to sit here and act like we are "better" than a kid from Lincoln heading to Wisconsin to play football. Far from it, this kid is good and will probably be a very good FBS football player. He's just not like a Walker, Engelhaupt, Jurgens, etc., that grew up bleeding Husker red. This was a kid going to a football power (currently) that we had in our own backyard. Proximity was our friend for one of the rare instances. We need to land that last highly thought of guy for our last DE spot for this not to sting. When you look back on previous staff stuff, what made me mad is passing on Harrison Phillips and then signing Deandre Wills and Sedrick King in February. That can't happen, and Parrella lets me think that won't happen. I think that's my difference in thinking with this current regime. Now... if we had a RB in Nebraska that ended up going to Wisconsin that we didn't even offer, i'd be pretty worried. But I trust Parrella and our recruiting staff here.

Last edited:
To be fair, he also said, "if they (Nebraska) offer, great."

I'm not sure what other attitude he should have. Basically, he's saying he's not going to get all upset if they don't offer, but if they do, he'd like it.

Like *** said Nebraska is not a dream school for him like most kids who live in the state. He has only lived in-state for a few years so I get that. My only issue is do not burn your bridges. Nothing more and nothing less.

Yup

He at one point was just hoping for a Northwestern offer. And I don't want to sit here and act like we are "better" than a kid from Lincoln heading to Wisconsin to play football. Far from it, this kid is good and will probably be a very good FBS football player. He's just not like a Walker, Engelhaupt, Jurgens, etc., that grew up bleeding Husker red. This was a kid going to a football power (currently) that we had in our own backyard. Proximity was our friend for one of the rare instances. We need to land that last highly thought of guy for our last DE spot for this not to sting. When you look back on previous staff stuff, what made me mad is passing on Harrison Phillips and then signing Deandre Wills and Sedrick King in February. That can't happen, and Parrella lets me think that won't happen. I think that's my difference in thinking with this current regime. Now... if we had a RB in Nebraska that ended up going to Wisconsin that we didn't even offer, i'd be pretty worried. But I trust Parrella and our recruiting staff here.

Agree.

Northwestern makes sense (with his IL upbringing and academic success). And he had Ivy League school offers as well. Pretty hard to knock the kid, as he certainly seems to have his priorities straight.

As a former LSE Knight I'm glad to congratulate Bryson, we all know the numbers were against him and have others have already said, I hope him great success except for one game each year. But I will say after moving to Lincoln at 15 and being a big Penn St. fan, by the time I hit my senior year, I couldn't see playing for anyone else besides the Huskers! (not that that happened, but I did get to watch several teammates play for the Big Red)

Need to remind people he is not originally from Nebraska dying to play for the Huskers. We were just another offer for him, and while proximity would have been in our favor, if he hadn't moved from Illinois here a few years ago, no one would care we didn't offer him due to not fitting what we wanted. We absolutely have better people on our board that we turned away because we didn't have a spot for them. Judge Culpepper, Daniel Carson, and then Avery in the mix if Watts doesn't qualify all are probably better prospects than this kid. Now, I would agree that we had proximity for a P5 player in our favor, and if we don't land those guys I just listed this probably becomes more of an issue. But it's absolutely not at this point.

If we get one or two of the players listed in bold, then not offering Williams is a non-issue. If we end up empty-handed at D-Line after turning down Avery (initially) and then not offering Williams, then there will rightfully be some questions.

You do not let a D1 in-state player leave the state to play for an opponent which has your number! For the possibility that you might get someone better. I don't remember Osborne letting in-state players get away.
Randy Jostes, Larry Station for starters.

He let Larry Station, Randy Jostes, Shawn Ridley, Richard Bass, Scott Frost and I'm sure others got away from TO
Difference is TO offered every one of them a scholarship.

We did not offer this kid so we have a difference in evaluation here from a competitor who seems to be more successful in their evaluations on linemen than us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back