• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Good feelings

The best QB on the planet according to many just had a season with a marked uptick in INTs (Mahomes). Are we to use your model and say that this was due coaching?
I stated early in the year when we got a good look at how Haarberg threw that his motion would result in floating passes long when they got away from him. The only thing that will change that, in my poorly functioning mind, is an off-season effort to work on motion. Wasn't going to happen during a season, if at all. Coaches can only mold the clay they possess.
It sounds like all activity on the field is on the coaches, and I agree. The difference is in using the words "blame" and "responsibility".
I will, however, take exception to saying that any player we get to watch in Red is not turnover averse. That implies apathy, and I don't buy it. Every kid wanted to do well, and the three QBs were likely devastated by at least some portion of the TOs next to their names.

I was lucky enough to sit through a film session with Colorado State's Dave Lay and a few of his assistants and their QB's back in 1994 and it was a great learning experience. The session was in preparation for the CSU - Wyoming game, so they'd taken the plays he felt would be successful against what Wyoming typically ran on defense and made what amounted to a 'Mix Tape' to illustrate what could go right and wrong depending on coverages and their own decisions/errors.

They had a couple dozen each of both successful plays and unsuccessful plays and Lay had a very educational way of presenting the material. First, the film for the play would run all the way through with no background information. Then he'd ask the room what the play call was. Then he'd either confirm or correct and I was really surprised at how many of the 'unsuccessful' plays were simply either a mistake in a read by the QB or WR. Even some of the successful plays were incorrect, but led to either big plays or touchdowns. Read routes are so prevalent now, but weren't nearly as popular back then, but those were the plays most commonly executed incorrectly. One in particular that led to a touchdown was what he called an incorrect 'shoulder read'. WR starts his route and the corner takes his inside shoulder, he's supposed to take the route out and run a hitch, theoreticaly have a better chance at being open essentially taking what's being given. Instead he takes the inside read and they bump. Hard. The DB nearly falls down and the receiver runs the seam that was the inside option and the QB see's he's open and throws him the ball. 40+ yard pass completion on an incorrect read. There were also a handful of INT's when something similar happened and the route is a timing route. We see that nearly every weekend in the NFL where you're going 'Why the hell did he throw it there?' My session with Dave Lay always makes me wonder when I see it now. We almost never know the call or the reads the WR and QB were supposed to make.

I guess that's just a long winded way of saying sometimes it's not as simple an answer as it appears on Saturday or Sunday afternoons.

I was lucky enough to sit through a film session with Colorado State's Dave Lay and a few of his assistants and their QB's back in 1994 and it was a great learning experience. The session was in preparation for the CSU - Wyoming game, so they'd taken the plays he felt would be successful against what Wyoming typically ran on defense and made what amounted to a 'Mix Tape' to illustrate what could go right and wrong depending on coverages and their own decisions/errors.

They had a couple dozen each of both successful plays and unsuccessful plays and Lay had a very educational way of presenting the material. First, the film for the play would run all the way through with no background information. Then he'd ask the room what the play call was. Then he'd either confirm or correct and I was really surprised at how many of the 'unsuccessful' plays were simply either a mistake in a read by the QB or WR. Even some of the successful plays were incorrect, but led to either big plays or touchdowns. Read routes are so prevalent now, but weren't nearly as popular back then, but those were the plays most commonly executed incorrectly. One in particular that led to a touchdown was what he called an incorrect 'shoulder read'. WR starts his route and the corner takes his inside shoulder, he's supposed to take the route out and run a hitch, theoreticaly have a better chance at being open essentially taking what's being given. Instead he takes the inside read and they bump. Hard. The DB nearly falls down and the receiver runs the seam that was the inside option and the QB see's he's open and throws him the ball. 40+ yard pass completion on an incorrect read. There were also a handful of INT's when something similar happened and the route is a timing route. We see that nearly every weekend in the NFL where you're going 'Why the hell did he throw it there?' My session with Dave Lay always makes me wonder when I see it now. We almost never know the call or the reads the WR and QB were supposed to make.

I guess that's just a long winded way of saying sometimes it's not as simple an answer as it appears on Saturday or Sunday afternoons.
Nice post and an excellent observation. Well done sir

Great stuff. A few other points Coach Lay may or may not have mentioned if he had the time or was running the film today: 1) sometimes the DEFENSE screws up with an alignment or responsibility and it creates confusion or a misread on offense; 2) a misread/missed call or block on the line, just like with the QB or receiver, can create an issue with timing or pressure that changes the whole play; and 3) the best quarterbacks and receivers instinctively know two things — the moment the script is broken, and how to try to fix it. They get a level of improvisation that can’t really be coached. Another point about coaching. You generally coach up a kid on mechanics, scheme (running the play), and live action. You spend as much time as you can with all but obviously you can’t scrimmage live all the time nor can you simulate game conditions and all the variables above. So when it gets real a few things happen. Mechanics get inconsistent if the kid has been doing it wrong or sloppily for the decade before. And even less consistent the more pressure there is. And guys who have “it” (no matter how much coaching) make good (or better) decisions under pressure and make things happen. Mostly. And guys who don’t (or guys who never got it but are just athletic) run around, force things, and lock in at the snap. Watch the tape. Watch how much “slower” the game is for Mahomes, for example, than it is for other guys. How much more time it seems like he has to make the throw or run. You can coach up guys until you’re falling asleep on your feet but for some guys it takes a long, long time to change habits or get it or it never sticks. And you can’t coach that little panic or indecision or deer in the headlights moment out of them.

It's been said Kemp ran his route too deep pushing the dB back into our deep receivers area creating CPs interception. It's situational awareness in the red zone and if you want to clear an area with a crossing route you do it quick and shallow.
So the same play would be run differently outside the red zone.

And you can’t coach that little panic or indecision or deer in the headlights moment out of them

It's been said Kemp ran his route too deep pushing the dB back into our deep receivers area creating CPs interception. It's situational awareness in the red zone and if you want to clear an area with a crossing route you do it quick and shallow.
So the same play would be run differently outside the red zone.

The best you can do is design/call plays to minimize mistakes/confusion…

Last edited:
The best you can do is design/call plays to minimize mistakes/confusion…

You see Kemp there? He should have broke in. Guess where that left is defender ?
There were murmerings by the coaches on this play.
Excuse me, it was Chi seeing the number now

Against minny NB sat down too deep. Teaching plays and teaching situational football takes time and awareness.
The ball also should have been thrown to NB the way the dB played him, the crossing LB would never have made it over in time.

Last edited:
You see Kemp there? He should have broke in. Guess where that left is defender ?
There were murmerings by the coaches on this play.
Excuse me, it was Chi seeing the number now
Game 1 to game 12 through 3 QB… maybe bunching your WR on 1 side and forcing quick, accurate and decisive throws from QB’s thst had proven incapable of such, isn’t a good idea. Guess what’s going on the back side of this play? I bet it’s not 4-5 defenders in a tight Corner of the end zone.

Game 1 to game 12 through 3 QB… maybe bunching your WR on 1 side and forcing quick, accurate and decisive throws from QB’s thst had proven incapable of such, isn’t a good idea. Guess what’s going on the back side of this play? I bet it’s not 4-5 defenders in a tight Corner of the end zone.
It wasn't accuracy, it was decisions made by wrs and qbs both.
Notice Chi started to cross the middle way too late.
Notice NBs stop had driven the dB off of him.

Last edited:
It wasn't accuracy, it was decisions made by wrs and qbs both.
Notice Chi started to cross the middle way too late.
Notice NBs stop had driven the dB off of him.
I noticed all of that stuff and I noticed it in game 1. Why, are we continuing to ask players to make the same mistakes thst plaqued the team from game 1? The next question is gonna be why aren’t they learning it?
You had 1 on 1 to the back side. Roll out your athletic QB and “minimize” the mistakes. It can be done through game planing.
Not to mention the running game if I recall correctly, the clock management. Thst may have been another game.
Dylan may be able to process this kind of play call with freshman WR, but as has been so repeatedly stated on huskermax, these guys were not.
Glen Thomas to the rescue let’s hope.

I noticed all of that stuff and I noticed it in game 1. Why, are we continuing to ask players to make the same mistakes thst plaqued the team from game 1? The next question is gonna be why aren’t they learning it?
You had 1 on 1 to the back side. Roll out your athletic QB and “minimize” the mistakes. It can be done through game planing.
Not to mention the running game if I recall correctly, the clock management. Thst may have been another game.
Dylan may be able to process this kind of play call with freshman WR, but as has been so repeatedly stated on huskermax, these guys were not.
Glen Thomas to the rescue let’s hope.
Game ten guy didn't play game one? Most experienced TE was open, most experienced qb threw it wrong game one. Sims was an unknown in game at that point.
Game ten Chi screwed up. He will learn. The qbs need good players making good plays around them, its why we went and got two wrs out of the portal.

Game ten guy didn't play game one? Most experienced TE was open, most experienced qb threw it wrong game one. Sims was an unknown in game at that point.
Game ten Chi screwed up. He will learn. The qbs need good players making good plays around them, its why we went and got two wrs out of the portal.

So it wasn’t 1 guy screwing up, but the whole team?

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back