• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Good feelings

Just came from basketball thread about their win over OSU and saw this. Agree that things are looking up for NE. Hope baseball team steps it up this year too. GBR!!!
I'm afraid the baseball team has the wrong head coach. Daren Ersted was the best. But Will Bolt...I'm not a fan. He was soft as a player and it seems that attitude flows down to his players. I hope I'm wrong but last year should have been a great one and they fizzled out.

Great stuff. A few other points Coach Lay may or may not have mentioned if he had the time or was running the film today: 1) sometimes the DEFENSE screws up with an alignment or responsibility and it creates confusion or a misread on offense; 2) a misread/missed call or block on the line, just like with the QB or receiver, can create an issue with timing or pressure that changes the whole play; and 3) the best quarterbacks and receivers instinctively know two things — the moment the script is broken, and how to try to fix it. They get a level of improvisation that can’t really be coached. Another point about coaching. You generally coach up a kid on mechanics, scheme (running the play), and live action. You spend as much time as you can with all but obviously you can’t scrimmage live all the time nor can you simulate game conditions and all the variables above. So when it gets real a few things happen. Mechanics get inconsistent if the kid has been doing it wrong or sloppily for the decade before. And even less consistent the more pressure there is. And guys who have “it” (no matter how much coaching) make good (or better) decisions under pressure and make things happen. Mostly. And guys who don’t (or guys who never got it but are just athletic) run around, force things, and lock in at the snap. Watch the tape. Watch how much “slower” the game is for Mahomes, for example, than it is for other guys. How much more time it seems like he has to make the throw or run. You can coach up guys until you’re falling asleep on your feet but for some guys it takes a long, long time to change habits or get it or it never sticks. And you can’t coach that little panic or indecision or deer in the headlights moment out of them.
Another great post. Love hearing coaches talk Keep it up guys

Imo, there wasn't time and no one available on his short list.
MR said this is what to expect year one.
I haven't seen his staff shuffles as he's grown his teams but I'd bet they were similar, upgrade when available.
Wasn’t time? There was a lot of time between December and the start of Spring Practice. If there wasn’t anyone one available on his short list he should have developed a longer list. Of course I do have the advantage of 20:20 hindsight based on how it turned out……..

Last edited:
Wasn’t time? There was a lot of time between December and the start of Spring Practice. If there wasn’t anyone one available on his short list he should have developed a longer list. Of course I do have the advantage of 20:20 hindsight based on how it turned out……..
Yes, we have Iowa with that much time too. Iowa got no one on their short list and they were available, not so sure this was the case here.

But yes, according to many hear, MR never said he wanted a qb coach and he wanted Satt to be it. I guess he didn't know what he was doing?
I honestly don't know at what level fans think MR wants here. While he could have gone fishing he tried what he knows, and likely Thomas had a conversation back then as well.
You can bet he made calls to many a coach plus word was out, but no one was available.
While he could have potentially compounded a problem he instead waited.
And if anyone doesn't think he isn't giving Young new potential up and comers a chance, look no further than the current staff.

Its year three to have things rolling here, thats MRs MO. I expect new faces as time goes along, but I believe MR approaches his staff much differently than our previous HCs have. And imo thats a good thing.

Last edited:

Great stuff. A few other points Coach Lay may or may not have mentioned if he had the time or was running the film today: 1) sometimes the DEFENSE screws up with an alignment or responsibility and it creates confusion or a misread on offense; 2) a misread/missed call or block on the line, just like with the QB or receiver, can create an issue with timing or pressure that changes the whole play; and 3) the best quarterbacks and receivers instinctively know two things — the moment the script is broken, and how to try to fix it. They get a level of improvisation that can’t really be coached. Another point about coaching. You generally coach up a kid on mechanics, scheme (running the play), and live action. You spend as much time as you can with all but obviously you can’t scrimmage live all the time nor can you simulate game conditions and all the variables above. So when it gets real a few things happen. Mechanics get inconsistent if the kid has been doing it wrong or sloppily for the decade before. And even less consistent the more pressure there is. And guys who have “it” (no matter how much coaching) make good (or better) decisions under pressure and make things happen. Mostly. And guys who don’t (or guys who never got it but are just athletic) run around, force things, and lock in at the snap. Watch the tape. Watch how much “slower” the game is for Mahomes, for example, than it is for other guys. How much more time it seems like he has to make the throw or run. You can coach up guys until you’re falling asleep on your feet but for some guys it takes a long, long time to change habits or get it or it never sticks. And you can’t coach that little panic or indecision or deer in the headlights moment out of them.

100%, but you can't convince some folks of any of the points you just made.

It's interesting what lengths some go to when trying to assign the blame for poor play or any unsuccessful play on the coaches, when in reality there is only so much ANY coach can do. Again, I'm not holding the staff blameless. You never can. But there are limits to what they can do. You do your best to prepare whichever players are healthy enough to play and adjust accordingly. The inability to turn a very average to below average QB room into a group or all conference perfectionists isn't because 'coaching'. The hindsight evaluation of what happened last fall is almost comical. The coaches should have just called the easy plays that work and nothing else. Right.

Back to my 'Fly on the wall' moment with Lay and the CSU staff, there was a young wide receiver coach in the room whose name some folks might recognize. He was great at breaking down film even back then.

It's interesting what lengths some go to when trying to assign the blame for poor play or any unsuccessful play on the coaches, when in reality there is only so much ANY coach can do. Again, I'm not holding the staff blameless. You never can. But there are limits to what they can do. You do your best to prepare whichever players are healthy enough to play and adjust accordingly. The inability to turn a very average to below average QB room into a group or all conference perfectionists isn't because 'coaching'. The hindsight evaluation of what happened last fall is almost comical. The coaches should have just called the easy plays that work and nothing else. Right.

Back to my 'Fly on the wall' moment with Lay and the CSU staff, there was a young wide receiver coach in the room whose name some folks might recognize. He was great at breaking down film even back then.
It goes against the Mahomes' of the world or the more things you're good at the better a team works.
MR addresses this right here

It goes against the Mahomes' of the world or the more things you're good at the better a team works.
MR addresses this right here
Love it. Why I want a team full of HHs. But a few of them who are better suited to the every snap QB position. You do the absolute best with the roster you have. I think the staff did that. I think HH did that. But it gets rough sometimes, for all the reasons we described. Setting aside all the micro-analysis, isn’t the following what happened: start the year with three QBs, an inconsistent but talented transfer, a raw, talented athlete, and an injured but talented transfer. All athletic but not one of them a “pure” quarterback. The inconsistent starter played inconsistently to the point he got in his own head and cratered under the pressure. The raw kid was raw. And the injured kid came in cold at the end of the year and did the best he could. I feel for all of them. They all played hard and didn’t give up or stop trying to compete. That matters.

Love it. Why I want a team full of HHs. But a few of them who are better suited to the every snap QB position. You do the absolute best with the roster you have. I think the staff did that. I think HH did that. But it gets rough sometimes, for all the reasons we described. Setting aside all the micro-analysis, isn’t the following what happened: start the year with three QBs, an inconsistent but talented transfer, a raw, talented athlete, and an injured but talented transfer. All athletic but not one of them a “pure” quarterback. The inconsistent starter played inconsistently to the point he got in his own head and cratered under the pressure. The raw kid was raw. And the injured kid came in cold at the end of the year and did the best he could. I feel for all of them. They all played hard and didn’t give up or stop trying to compete. That matters.
Yep, nothing but the best for both CP and JS, hope they get it rolling.
And HH? How many times do we take that Nebraska heart for granted?
We should never ever do that. Just another reason that makes all these judgements so hard, and makes it less than it was unfortunately

If every QB seems to make the same sorts of mistakes you have to question how they are being trained, or assume that they just weren’t very good to start with. It probably was some of each, though at least Purdy and Sims were considered fairly good prospects as high school players.

I definitely envy you for having had your “fly on the wall” experience back then. And I appreciate your insight.

I probably feel as confident now as I have since the beginning of the frost era. I really thought he would come out of the box with about 9 wins and kick start the program into a recruiting and development hotbed. I was obviously an idiot.
As was I. The "B1G adjusted to us", alright. They knew they were in for an easy day, and were able to play relaxed and loose as they kicked our asses each Saturday.

I think it may be the single most difficult position in team sports. What is required is well beyond comparable positions in other sports — leadership, athleticism, skill, composure, intelligence, etc. Think of the combination of smarts, skill, decision-making, and athleticism required for just one RPO, say on second and seven from your own 25. Vanilla defense. Everyone does their job. Easy right? Most 19-21 yr olds are pissing themselves before they even start the snap count. Now do it 75 times in one game. 85,000 people screaming. Ben and Jerry defenses. Teammates missing a block or two. Routes getting funky sometimes. High snap maybe. A little wind. A little rain. Maybe a little doubt or hesitation because the last time you ran the play the WR dropped it/RB bobbled it/backside DE buried your face in the turf. And you know your coaches and teammates must be a little frustrated because you also can’t seem to throw the route exactly on time no matter how hard you work or are coached up because your muscle memory isn’t there yet on technique. Did you get the motion call right in the huddle? Is that a two-deep? Why is he shading inside? Is that man under? My guy is lined up too tight. crap. Is he coming off the edge? Where’s 54… need to know where 54 is. Motion. Past my face. Okay. Hut. Hut. Go. 75 times for an afternoon’s work.

So, all things considered, I’d rather be shooting a free throw at Allen Field House to tie the game at the end of regulation. Seems easier. Less stressful. And that’s no knock on hoops or any other sport.

I think it may be the single most difficult position in team sports. What is required is well beyond comparable positions in other sports — leadership, athleticism, skill, composure, intelligence, etc. Think of the combination of smarts, skill, decision-making, and athleticism required for just one RPO, say on second and seven from your own 25. Vanilla defense. Everyone does their job. Easy right? Most 19-21 yr olds are pissing themselves before they even start the snap count. Now do it 75 times in one game. 85,000 people screaming. Ben and Jerry defenses. Teammates missing a block or two. Routes getting funky sometimes. High snap maybe. A little wind. A little rain. Maybe a little doubt or hesitation because the last time you ran the play the WR dropped it/RB bobbled it/backside DE buried your face in the turf. And you know your coaches and teammates must be a little frustrated because you also can’t seem to throw the route exactly on time no matter how hard you work or are coached up because your muscle memory isn’t there yet on technique. Did you get the motion call right in the huddle? Is that a two-deep? Why is he shading inside? Is that man under? My guy is lined up too tight. crap. Is he coming off the edge? Where’s 54… need to know where 54 is. Motion. Past my face. Okay. Hut. Hut. Go. 75 times for an afternoon’s work.

So, all things considered, I’d rather be shooting a free throw at Allen Field House to tie the game at the end of regulation. Seems easier. Less stressful. And that’s no knock on hoops or any other sport.
I always put boxing up there as well, footwork, balance, defense and offense, fatigue from working, fatigue from getting hit.
But its only one guy, a qb has to see the whole field

I’m happy that Rhule is not standing pat on Satt as QB coach. If it wasn’t part of Rhule’s plan to have Satt as QB coach, I’m puzzled about why it happened. Did they think that Sims had almost everything he already needed, rendering a QB coach superfluous? If so, that played out badly. I think that MR thought Satt could handle it, and the hiring of Glenn Thomas is an indication that MR learned something from what happened. I think that all of our QBs will benefit, that there will be fewer turnovers than there were before and the QB development at Nebraska will become a thing.
nm

Last edited:
If every QB seems to make the same sorts of mistakes you have to question how they are being trained, or assume that they just weren’t very good to start with. It probably was some of each, though at least Purdy and Sims were considered fairly good prospects as high school players.

I definitely envy you for having had your “fly on the wall” experience back then. And I appreciate your insight.

I hear you, but I tend to pump the brakes with a staff that's 'new' to these guys. If Rhule and Satterfield had coached all three for the entirety of their careers, I'd be worried. I do think we asked all three to do things they just weren't any good at, and the reason for that is debatable and different for each player.

It was facilitated by a kid who played for me the one year I coached HS ball. He went to CSU and was always trying to get me back in the game. Unfortunately I came into it too late to be able to afford the typical career path that included unpaid HS assistant coach roles. I really did enjoy it and really did enjoy the time with that group. I appreciate the respectful back and forth. We're all kind of operating in the dark on a lot of things that happen with Husker football every year, so we're likely all wrong a lot more than we're right. Here's to discussing more successful plays, games and seasons in the very near future.

I hear you, but I tend to pump the brakes with a staff that's 'new' to these guys. If Rhule and Satterfield had coached all three for the entirety of their careers, I'd be worried. I do think we asked all three to do things they just weren't any good at, and the reason for that is debatable and different for each player.

It was facilitated by a kid who played for me the one year I coached HS ball. He went to CSU and was always trying to get me back in the game. Unfortunately I came into it too late to be able to afford the typical career path that included unpaid HS assistant coach roles. I really did enjoy it and really did enjoy the time with that group. I appreciate the respectful back and forth. We're all kind of operating in the dark on a lot of things that happen with Husker football every year, so we're likely all wrong a lot more than we're right. Here's to discussing more successful plays, games and seasons in the very near future.
New coaches, new system……I understand that’s hard for the players and hard for the coaches. I’m pretty sure that the key to it all was going to be Sims, and that they expected he would be close to a “plug in and play” kind of guy. It just didn’t work out that way. That HH wasn’t even allowed in meetings under Whipple is just plain criminal. No kid deserves to be treated like that. And it showed in his play. He’s a fantastic athlete who plays with passion and intensity. He’s all heart. But he was behind in his development and it showed.

You’re right. We don’t break down film with these guys (the coaches) and we don’t sit in meetings. We aren’t there at practice and we don’t see what teaching, development and coaching that the players get. We’re really only able to draw conclusions by watching what happens in games. And we’re probably wrong more often than we are right. But it’s a message board, and we’re here to discuss the things that we see and try to analyze (in our amateur sort of ways) the goings on in the program. I do enjoy and appreciate the respectful discussion. And I’m also hoping that the progress of the program allows for us to discuss more of the team’s successes in the future. I do think we are on the right track.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back