• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Good feelings

The saying, they practiced well all week goes hand in hand with on any given Sunday.
What they look like in practice isn't creative, and though it can and does create some consistency that consistency only exist within what our defense is giving them.
Now, we've all heard, we didn't expect them to line up that way or they got really creative doing things we hadn't seen.
This part is imo pure coaching as the above can be in part as well. In game adjustments and recognition and prep, all coaching except now maybe having to put players in positions where they aren't their best.

The ideas being put forth from this staff has always been its about us, the players and the coaches. Not the other team.

HH is an incredible player as to where he started from, where he's worked himself towards and being denied what he needed prior.
This staff knows that, the players know this as well. Finally it is about them.

New coaches, new system……I understand that’s hard for the players and hard for the coaches. I’m pretty sure that the key to it all was going to be Sims, and that they expected he would be close to a “plug in and play” kind of guy. It just didn’t work out that way. That HH wasn’t even allowed in meetings under Whipple is just plain criminal. No kid deserves to be treated like that. And it showed in his play. He’s a fantastic athlete who plays with passion and intensity. He’s all heart. But he was behind in his development and it showed.
Whipple dismissing Haarberg is sort of understood. He's a guy who's only looking at guys who can throw any pass. Frost dismissing him? A guy that was really another version of him? That was full on stupid. He should have been his biggest advocate, or if he really didn't think the kid could play QB, encourage a change of positions. It was really a tough spot Haarberg was put in and I will always applaud how he performed with all his heart and how he owned it.

You’re right. We don’t break down film with these guys (the coaches) and we don’t sit in meetings. We aren’t there at practice and we don’t see what teaching, development and coaching that the players get. We’re really only able to draw conclusions by watching what happens in games. And we’re probably wrong more often than we are right. But it’s a message board, and we’re here to discuss the things that we see and try to analyze (in our amateur sort of ways) the goings on in the program. I do enjoy and appreciate the respectful discussion. And I’m also hoping that the progress of the program allows for us to discuss more of the team’s successes in the future. I do think we are on the right track.

As long as conversations stay on the 'Well I think.....' level and we're actually talking to each other, it's all good. Like you said, that's kind of the point of a message board and we should enjoy that. So much of the last five or six years hasn't been that and I can't wait to get beyond the petty pissing matches. Agree. We're headed the right direction. It can't come soon enough, but it's coming.

Everything around MR is positive as far building culture, team cohesiveness and addressing issues that need to be fixed! With only a few players leaving through the portal and players who could have gone to the next level speaks volumes about the coaching staff and atmosphere currently at Nebraska!! We haven’t had that feeling for many years!!!
GBR

QsJA8Fd.png

EV car powered by flux capacitor. Doc Brown is a big N fan.

Last edited:

Whipple dismissing Haarberg is sort of understood. He's a guy who's only looking at guys who can throw any pass. Frost dismissing him? A guy that was really another version of him? That was full on stupid. He should have been his biggest advocate, or if he really didn't think the kid could play QB, encourage a change of positions. It was really a tough spot Haarberg was put in and I will always applaud how he performed with all his heart and how he owned it.

As long as conversations stay on the 'Well I think.....' level and we're actually talking to each other, it's all good. Like you said, that's kind of the point of a message board and we should enjoy that. So much of the last five or six years hasn't been that and I can't wait to get beyond the petty pissing matches. Agree. We're headed the right direction. It can't come soon enough, but it's coming.
I generally avoid the petty pissing matches and mostly just walk away from them. I’m too old to waste time on that sort of stuff.

When I read that Whipple had just sort of dismissed Haarberg I just felt it was so unprofessional. Coaches are supposed to coach. I felt he should have looked at him and said, “What can I do to help this guy be a better player.” Instead it just seemed that he couldn’t “lower himself” to work with the kid. There’s probably more to it than either of us know. But that was my initial impression.

Last edited:
I generally avoid the petty pissing matches and mostly just walk away from them. I’m too old to waste time on that sort of stuff.

When I read that Whipple had just sort of dismissed Haarberg I just felt it was so unprofessional. Coaches are supposed to coach. I felt he should have looked at him and said, “What can I do to help this guy be a better player.” Instead it just seemed that he couldn’t “lower himself” to work with the kid. There’s probably more to it than either of us know. But that was my initial impression.
Was he the only QB not invited to the meetings?

I couldn’t say. I’ve seen no information about other QBs not being invited to meetings.
I guess I don’t know what’s considered normal for the meeting referenced. We had 9 quarterbacks on the roster. Was this a game day strategy meeting? Is 9 too many? Is 3 enough? What do other coaches do? What is the standard? It does appear a lot of fans are making judgement without knowing.

Last edited:
I guess I don’t know what’s considered normal for the meeting referenced. We had 9 quarterbacks on the roster. Was this a game day strategy meeting? Is 9 too many? Is 3 enough? What do other coaches do? What is the standard? It does appear a lot of fans are making judgement without knowing.
Seems like not being allowed in the meeting room would be a major loss of education, coaching, teaching and development for a young scholarship QB. What we know is that the current staff (Rhule) referenced this when talking about HH. Seems like they wouldn’t have mentioned it if they didn’t think it was meaningful.

Seems like not being allowed in the meeting room would be a major loss of education, coaching, teaching and development for a young scholarship QB. What we know is that the current staff (Rhule) referenced this when talking about HH. Seems like they wouldn’t have mentioned it if they didn’t think it was meaningful.
Again we don't know the details. Was he the only one of the 9 that didn't attend that meeting? Does every player attend every position group meeting? Was HH even on the travel roster in 2022? I'm a little skeptical believing HH's play this year in this system was underachieved due to not being in a meeting with Whipple and his system. If only HH had attended those meetings he would have been starting for us this last year and we would have been 8-1 prior to his injury. I really doubt those meetings would have helped his double digit turnovers.

But again, if its those types of narratives fans want to create than......create away. It is a good feeling thread so who am I to dim the koolaid regardless of how irrational some of our koolaid is.

Last edited:
Again we don't know the details. Was he the only one of the 9 that didn't attend that meeting? Does every player attend every position group meeting? Was HH even on the travel roster in 2022? I'm a little skeptical believing HH's play this year in this system was underachieved due to not being in a meeting with Whipple and his system. If only HH had attended those meetings he would have been starting for us this last year and we would have been 8-1 prior to his injury. I really doubt those meetings would have helped his double digit turnovers.

But again, if its those types of narratives fans want to create than......create away. It is a good feeling thread so who am I to dim the koolaid regardless of how irrational some of our koolaid is.
Again, Coach Rhule mentioned that HH wasn’t allowed in meetings last season. No one made that up. I’m not “creating a narrative”, but I am referencing factual information. Think Rhule would have mentioned it if he didn’t think it was significant? He’s probably a better judge of QB development than you or me.

Last edited:

Again, Coach Rhule mentioned that HH wasn’t allowed in meetings last season. No one made that up. I’m not “creating a narrative”, but I am referencing factual information. Think Rhule would have mentioned it if he didn’t think it was significant? He’s probably a better judge of QB development than you or me.
Significant? Who knows. Could have been coach talk to build up HH. But it's not you and me that are being compared in how to coach a quarterback. Its Rhule and Whipple. While I'm not a fan of Whipple I have no proof that Rhule/Satterfield are any better. It doesn't take a million dollar coach to see that HH isn't a good quarterback and he got worse as the season progressed. Blaming meeting attendance, the year prior and using Rhules a statement as the reason for his digression over the season isn't a good picture to paint.

But then again, its a good feeling thread so feel good.

He just wants to crap all over the thread. Best to just ignore him.

Significant? Who knows. Could have been coach talk to build up HH. But it's not you and me that are being compared in how to coach a quarterback. Its Rhule and Whipple. While I'm not a fan of Whipple I have no proof that Rhule/Satterfield are any better. It doesn't take a million dollar coach to see that HH isn't a good quarterback and he got worse as the season progressed. Blaming meeting attendance, the year prior and using Rhules a statement as the reason for his digression over the season isn't a good picture to paint.

But then again, its a good feeling thread so feel good.
Regarding HH, Rhule/Satterfield are putting in the effort. Whipple didn’t even try.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back