• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coronavirus Status Updates

Dr. Spencer is in NYC. For those of you not on Twitter he describes a day in his life right now. Very scary stuff, especially the disconnect he describes between what is happening in the hospitals and everyone on the outside.

Definite must read, thanks for posting.

C

Some numbers to ponder. If the low estimate of 40% of population getting infected is used, estimates are from 40% to 70%, that is 132401060.4 people infected. Taking the low estimate on the mortality rate of 1%, Global is 4.4% and US is 1.2% currently, that is 1.3 million deaths in the US alone. Globally that is over 30 million people dead.

C

Some numbers to ponder. If the low estimate of 40% of population getting infected is used, estimates are from 40% to 70%, that is 132401060.4 people infected. Taking the low estimate on the mortality rate of 1%, Global is 4.4% and US is 1.2% currently, that is 1.3 million deaths in the US alone. Globally that is over 30 million people dead.

C

...I am still trying to process those numbers.

:Frown:

As of 5:15 03/24/20

1585089136023.png

Last edited:

Not trying to stir anything, but what might be some of the reasons only ~20% of the cruise ship passengers contracted the illness, instead of the 40%-70% projections for the US? Honestly curious, since I would have expected even higher rates on a cruise ship than in the general population. My guess is that it is because the people were so highly isolated to their rooms. Any one know?

About 50% of the cruise passengers refused to take the test and went home after 14 days. I know, real stupid.

My wife is Phillipino and she loves Balut. Trust me, it tasts just as bad as it looks.

A couple things here. 1. those were not bats. 2. That language sounded more like one of the Pinoy (Phillipino) or Indonesian languages than Chinese.

A lot of the world is made up of people eating things that we consider weird. Look up Balut.

My nephew's test came back negative after a 10 day wait for results. He was in Puerto Rico for business. His company brought him home early and ordered him to work from home for the foreseeable future.

Posted this on another thread but thought I'd add it here:

Georgia is at 5984 have been tested with 1097 positives and 38deaths, including one individual that lived close to us.

Strangely enough 59% of the positives are 18-59 and 36% are 60+.

My nephew's test came back negative after a 10 day wait for results. He was in Puerto Rico for business. His company brought him home early and ordered him to work from home for the foreseeable future.

Georgia is at 5984 have been tested with 1097 positives and 38deaths, including one individual that lived close to us.

about the same portion in CA - about 50% 18 - 40, 25% 60+ if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

That younger people are getting infected more makes sense. Younger age reduces mortality rate, not infection rate.* I think those may have gotten confused and sent a message that young people are less likely to get infected, thus resulting in younger folks feeling immune and less likely to observe precautions.

*small children (under 10) app appear to have a natural immunity to it and are in fact less likely to get infected.

She is 39 yrs old and previously healthy.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back