• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coronavirus Status Updates

If it follows the Spanish Flu of 1918 (and it will) they will not reopen for physical class attendance in 2020. Mothers everywhere double their Valium dose :).

Remember, history doesn't always repeat itself but it does rhyme. These virus (Corona and Spanish Flu) have been behaving so similarly epidemiologically that it seems almost certain that we will be dealing with it (social distancing, etc) through till next spring.

The second wave of the Spanish flu was the big one. It started in the Fall.

Anew diagnostic test for the novel coronavirus will return results in just 45 minutes, four times faster than existing machines.

Cepheid’s test will only make a small dent in the number of diagnostic tests available for the coronavirus, known as SARS-CoV-2, or the disease it causes, Covid-19. Persing said that Cepheid will produce millions of tests over the next few months. For comparison, Thermo Fisher, another test manufacturer, has said it will be able to produce 5 million tests a week by April. LabCorp can currently conduct 20,000 tests a day, and is increasing capacity further.

But the Cepheid test plays a very different role. Other tests must be brought to a centralized lab, sometimes in a hospital but often in a geographically distant location or at a testing facility such as those owned by Quest Diagnostics and LabCorp. These other tests are run in batches, meaning that all the tests are run at once over a period of hours. That means getting a test result back can take a day — or several days.

This is a great site for COVID-19 data. Has some terrific visualization tools. Here's a couple different charts I just downloaded.

total-cases-covid-19.png

covid-confirmed-cases-since-100th-case.png

covid19-tests-per-million-people.png

Last edited:

Just an FYI...While out getting dinner last night, I ran into a man who heads a National Guard unit and asked if he heard any news. He said,”Don’t be surprised to hear of a National lockdown announcement coming in next couple days with everything except non essential businesses closed (groceries, fuel, pharmacies). “ He said they are getting NG units placed first so no looting or problems would occur. I’m on the coast of Georgia in a small town.

From 2007:

"The prescence of a large reservoir of SARS-CoV-like viruses in horseshoe bats, together with the culture of eating exotic mammals in southern China, is a time bomb"

A couple things here. 1. those were not bats. 2. That language sounded more like one of the Pinoy (Phillipino) or Indonesian languages than Chinese.

A lot of the world is made up of people eating things that we consider weird. Look up Balut.

A couple things here. 1. those were not bats. 2. That language sounded more like one of the Pinoy (Phillipino) or Indonesian languages than Chinese.

A lot of the world is made up of people eating things that we consider weird. Look up Balut.
Anybody could tell that those weren't bats. The video was not the point; the language they spoke is irrelevant. I question the authenticity of that video anyway. I was quoting the 'American Society for Microbiology' article in the tweet. When a tweet is embedded, if that tweet was a reply to another tweet, then that original tweet will get embedded too. The article wasn't necessarily passing judgment on eating "weird things", that wasn't the point either, other than the impending disaster that awaits when wet markets include severely infected mammals.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back