• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Colson Yankoff **** Dual-Threat QB Commits to Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its weird to be 18 or 19 years old and saying that the "clock is ticking" but I would agree with it if the NFL is the ultimate goal.
I think that's the ultimate goal of any kid. The QB spot and only one guy getting almost all the snaps is the reason we have walk-one Fyfe and Kellogg III as the backups the past four or five years. Rarely will a four star kid hang around and wait for an injury to play. Carnes, Marsh, Stanton, and Green took off when it was obvious they weren't going to play.

Last edited:
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on the QB thing. I see Martinez and Armstrong as perfect examples of why POB or Gebia will transfer. They are too close in eligibility. You talk about those two getting hurt as to why the other won't transfer - like they wanna hang around to play a game or two if the other guy gets hurt. Not realistic. Martinez and Armstrong got dinged up here and there, but don't forget that Martinez left Nebraska as the Husker record holder for starts by a QB with 43 and Armstrong beat that record with 44. Not saying its a for sure thing by any means, JMPO its more likely the loser of that eventual competition leaves the program. Why would POB stick around if a guy with more eligibility beat him out for a job? Why would Gebbia stick around if he is looking at one year as the starter? Like I said, unless POB wins the job and blows up enough so that he is a candidate for early entry to the NFL and the coaches can sell Gebbia on starting as a junior and senior. A lot of "ifs" in that though.

Why doesn't it seem to happen at other schools though? I haven't seen backup 4-5 star QB's at the other Top 10-15 colleges transfer out much, if they aren't the starters. Look at USC, Alabama, tOSU, etc... Do their 4-5 star Soph-Jr QB's transfer out if they aren't named the starter? It just doesn't seem to happen to those schools as much as we project our QB's transferring out. I'd like to see actual names, and where the transfers went to determine if it's as prevalent as you say it is and if it made a big difference if the player did transfer. And I don't consider some guys who are clearly inferior to the starter transferring out to be a bad thing.

Last edited:

Why doesn't it seem to happen at other schools though? I haven't seen backup 4-5 star QB's at the other Top 10-15 colleges transfer out much, if they aren't the starters. Look at USC, Alabama, tOSU, etc... Do their 4-5 star Soph-Jr QB's transfer out if they aren't named the starter? It just doesn't seem to happen to those schools as much as we project our QB's transferring out. I'd like to see actual names, and where the transfers went to determine if it's as prevalent as you say it is and if it made a big difference if the player did transfer. And I don't consider some guys who are clearly inferior to the starter transferring out to be a bad thing.
Do a little research before you type.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxs...l-blake-barnett-arizona-state-120716?amp=true

To go one step further, 47% of 4-5 star QBs transfer. That's alarming. If they don't play, and don't have a guy at least a couple years spread out from them, they are gone. A 4 or 5 star isn't waiting his turn to hopefully start as a senior or thinking "maybe there will be an injury", they are transferring. Most coaches will go with the younger guy anyway once said recruit is a senior.
http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...ua-tagovailoa-michigan-dylan-mccaffrey-013017

Last edited:
To go one step further, 47% of 4-5 star QBs transfer. That's alarming. If they don't play, and don't have a guy at least a couple years spread out from them, they are gone. A 4 or 5 star isn't waiting his turn to hopefully start as a senior or thinking "maybe there will be an injury", they are transferring. Most coaches will go with the younger guy anyway once said recruit is a senior.
http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...ua-tagovailoa-michigan-dylan-mccaffrey-013017

Yikes! As Gilda Rander as Emily Littel would say on SNL..."Nevermind"

Ok, I stand corrected in my thinking for sure. But if you are a 4-5 * you are still just a hit away from starting. So the thought of transferring to me still is as big of a gamble as staying where you are already involved with the team and you don't lose a year of eligibility. AND...I would like to see where the transfer end up going, are they dropping in competition to a level where they are certain to win the job? Still have lots of questions...

I think the smart 4-5 star guys really evaluate the situation they'll be facing at a particular school. You commit to a program like Bama and you might have about a 20% chance of becoming a starter at some point in your 5 years. I think a guy who picks a school wisely gives himself a better chance at being the man and sooner rather than later. Which, in turn, gives him a better shot at the ultimate goal of making to the NFL. I think MR has captured the imagination of these QB's...and I think everyone that comes in feels he has a pretty good chance at becoming the starter.

It's not just 4-5 star QB's that transfer out when they realize they're not going to be starting.

Kansas lost three QB's in the offseason this year:
Montell Cozart (2*)
Deondre Ford (Juco)
Ryan Willis (3*) - Virginia Tech

Montell Cozart said Tuesday he was leaving the school. He’s the third Kansas quarterback to transfer from the Jayhawks this offseason. Cozart was Kansas’ leading passer in 2016. He was 112-190 passing for 1,075 yards and threw seven touchdowns and nine interceptions. He joins Ryan Willis — the Jayhawks’ third-leading passer last season — as a transfer from the team. Willis was Kansas’ leading passer in 2015. Deondre Ford has also transferred.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/montell-cozart-becomes-third-kansas-qb-to-transfer-235431729.html

Rutgers also lost three QB's this offseason:
Chris Laviano (3*) - San Diego State
Hayden Rettig (4*) - Tennessee Tech. Transferred to Rutgers from LSU in 2014.
Michael Dare (3*)

On Monday, word came out that junior quarterback Hayden Rettig would transfer from the program. On Wednesday morning, another junior QB, Chris Laviano, said the same. And by Wednesday evening, redshirt freshman QB Michael Dare was following suit. That’s three quarterback transfers in three days from Chris Ash’s program, which just finished the 2016 season 128th out of 128 FBS teams in yards per passing attempt.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...-hayden-rettig-mike-dare-transfers-rutgers-qb

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back