• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Colson Yankoff **** Dual-Threat QB Commits to Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree - this kid didn't have near the star power to throw to as Gebbia and looks to have more "tools" than POB. But that's quite the QB we have received verbals from 3 straight years if it comes to fruition.

Agree. He reminds me a lot of Marcus Mariota on the HS level. It's not very common you see a guy who is a dangerous runner like that who is a legit passer. Usually with a "dual-threat" you severely sacrifice the passing aspect. Colson is adept at both. He is a great runner and an accurate passer, he could be a real headache for DC's eventually.

I think this staffs #1 priority is accuracy, they won't look at someone and say "he's not as accurate as we'd like, but since he can run we will offer." I think they will prioritize a guy that can run over someone more stationary, but they have to have to be in the same tier of accuracy. Especially after the last two years they've had, Langsdorf did a great job of not showing the frustration I know he had.

Agree, which is why guys should be real excited about the possibility of Colson being the class QB. Langsdorf did not sacrifice his standards of what he is looking for in a passer with him, and he is a legit threat with his legs. Colson's completion % last year was in the high 60's. He has a strong arm, is accurate (his hudl shows a lot of throws made in tight windows), throws great on the run...I also liked his decision making ability on some plays where he could have run or passed. He does a good job of keeping his eyes down field rather than just taking off when his first read was not there. He usually made the right choice of when to run or not when plays broke down.

Agree. He reminds me a lot of Marcus Mariota on the HS level. It's not very common you see a guy who is a dangerous runner like that who is a legit passer. Usually with a "dual-threat" you severely sacrifice the passing aspect. Colson is adept at both. He is a great runner and an accurate passer, he could be a real headache for DC's eventually.
Me likey!

Last edited:

Hmm. I think Gebbia was a hell of a qb. It's close though. I'd give him the edge over Yankoff but I think Gebbia size hurts his overall look. That will be improved greatly. Obrien really looked good in camps and has a great arm. What a qb room that would be. Qb room transformation already rivals the linebacker room... In terms of flipping from no depth to too much talent quickly.
He's just skinny, enhanced by the fact that he's tall. A year in the weight room will fix that.

Agree, which is why guys should be real excited about the possibility of Colson being the class QB. Langsdorf did not sacrifice his standards of what he is looking for in a passer with him, and he is a legit threat with his legs. Colson's completion % last year was in the high 60's. He has a strong arm, is accurate (his hudl shows a lot of throws made in tight windows), throws great on the run...I also liked his decision making ability on some plays where he could have run or passed. He does a good job of keeping his eyes down field rather than just taking off when his first read was not there. He usually made the right choice of when to run or not when plays broke down.

Well said

A class QB is almost always the most important recruit in your class. Langsdorf has done a great job of adding talent, no doubt. Colson would be the most important recruit in this class (IMPO, even moreso than Bookie) - based on pure talent and the position he plays. I have a hard time seeing a scenario where POB and Gebbia both finish their careers at Nebraska...

If Tanner Lee wins the job and plays either a year or two, that would mean a POB vs. Gebbia competition eventually to take over for Lee. The loser of that battle likely transfers since there is only one year separating them. Especially if that ends up being Gebbia, no way (IMPO) POB sticks around if a guy under him beats him out. MAYBE Gebbia stays if he gets beaten out by POB, but I doubt it...

IF POB wins the job over Lee, would Gebbia stick around for the next several years and sit? Maybe the coaches try and sell him on POB leaving early for the pros and Gebbia getting a couple years down the line. Obviously a lot of factors go into that senario...

This is why it is so darn important to bring in a solid, top-of-your-board QB in each class like Langsdorf has done the last two years with POB and Gebbia. Attrition at the QB spot is so common. Nebraska has seen it first-hand over the last decade or so with guys like Harrison Beck, Patrick Witt, Cody Green, Bronson Marsh, Johnny Stanton, Brion Carnes, AJ Bush...not to mention adding guys via transfer like Sam Keller and Tanner Lee. Just because the QB room looks promising now, the flip side of that coin is the attrition that happens when the cream rises to the top.

I don't see a loser of the POB vs Gebbia battle as transferring. YOu are still one hot away from being the starter and invariably it will happen at some point. Look at Martinez, Armstrong, going clear back to Frazier... Crouch is really the only clear starter that stayed healthy his entire career.

However, you still have to bring in that top flight QB in every class. and settling for 2nd or 3rd tier is not an option. We've been down that path before. Risk the transfer if that is what it takes.

A Mariota type player could be a break through player for the BIG RED if it were to happen.

I don't see a loser of the POB vs Gebbia battle as transferring. YOu are still one hot away from being the starter and invariably it will happen at some point. Look at Martinez, Armstrong, going clear back to Frazier... Crouch is really the only clear starter that stayed healthy his entire career.

However, you still have to bring in that top flight QB in every class. and settling for 2nd or 3rd tier is not an option. We've been down that path before. Risk the transfer if that is what it takes.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on the QB thing. I see Martinez and Armstrong as perfect examples of why POB or Gebia will transfer. They are too close in eligibility. You talk about those two getting hurt as to why the other won't transfer - like they wanna hang around to play a game or two if the other guy gets hurt. Not realistic. Martinez and Armstrong got dinged up here and there, but don't forget that Martinez left Nebraska as the Husker record holder for starts by a QB with 43 and Armstrong beat that record with 44. Not saying its a for sure thing by any means, JMPO its more likely the loser of that eventual competition leaves the program. Why would POB stick around if a guy with more eligibility beat him out for a job? Why would Gebbia stick around if he is looking at one year as the starter? Like I said, unless POB wins the job and blows up enough so that he is a candidate for early entry to the NFL and the coaches can sell Gebbia on starting as a junior and senior. A lot of "ifs" in that though.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on the QB thing. I see Martinez and Armstrong as perfect examples of why POB or Gebia will transfer. They are too close in eligibility. You talk about those two getting hurt as to why the other won't transfer - like they wanna hang around to play a game or two if the other guy gets hurt. Not realistic. Martinez and Armstrong got dinged up here and there, but don't forget that Martinez left Nebraska as the Husker record holder for starts by a QB with 43 and Armstrong beat that record with 44. Not saying its a for sure thing by any means, JMPO its more likely the loser of that eventual competition leaves the program. Why would POB stick around if a guy with more eligibility beat him out for a job? Why would Gebbia stick around if he is looking at one year as the starter? Like I said, unless POB wins the job and blows up enough so that he is a candidate for early entry to the NFL and the coaches can sell Gebbia on starting as a junior and senior. A lot of "ifs" in that though.
Look no further than Cody Green transferring the year after Martinez got the starting job. QB is a "weird" position, 99% of the time a coach is getting his guy and sticking with him and only one guy is the man. As opposed to OL, WR, or any other position where multiple guys play over the course of the game. It's why I don't mind recruits at the position looking at rosters and shying away from a stacked roster or guys transferring, you have 4 years to make your mark and get to the NFL.

I understand where you are coming from and if you are certain to start at another school, moving on "could be" the answer. It will certainly be fun to watch the competition, I'm excited to see all 3 compete.

Look no further than Cody Green transferring the year after Martinez got the starting job. QB is a "weird" position, 99% of the time a coach is getting his guy and sticking with him and only one guy is the man. As opposed to OL, WR, or any other position where multiple guys play over the course of the game. It's why I don't mind recruits at the position looking at rosters and shying away from a stacked roster or guys transferring, you have 4 years to make your mark and get to the NFL.
Its weird to be 18 or 19 years old and saying that the "clock is ticking" but I would agree with it if the NFL is the ultimate goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back