• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Barfknechtl: Ok to fire a 9 win coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw SoCalRed back pumping up that same Minnasota team. They are playing for Coach Kill and they are going to be an unstoppable force the rest of the year.

He's back? Because I swear I was thinking CM and SCR were the same guy.

You're not really trying to compare a guy that took over at places like App St. and Tulane to a guy who took over at Nebraska?

Feel free to evaluate his time at UNC (which were years 5 through 9 of his coaching experience).

The point is, lots of rookie head coaches struggle in their first 6 years and then "turn it on."

What was Saban's record in his first 6 years?

I was asked what gives me some hope that Bo can turn things around. I look at those coaches (Carroll is another) and say "hey, a lot of growth happens in 6 years... let's see what he can do in years 7 through 9).

That '08 (through '10) offense was at least as bad as this defense is bad.

That offense averaged 35 a game. Once NU finishes this season I'll be surprised if it's still at it's current 39.

Slightly better yards per game (16 yd advantage for 2008) than this year but, again, that will likely change.

No...the offenses don't play each other but that offense wasn't bad. This defense is. And this offense would struggle badly. Badly.

I'll take Suh and Stein in the middle all day over this defense. They struggled against spread passing teams, but nobody lined up and ran it down our throats. That '08 team played far better offenses than we have so far.

Also, the 2008 offense was 2nd in the nation in Time of Possession. Our defense would struggle getting them off of the field.

Last edited:
Absolutely Norman is better positioned than Nebraska. Take a look at a map and draw a circle around a 3 hour driving radius.

Name the places ... I'd be happy to hear them.
Ever tried to get to Boise? I have and it makes Lincoln easy look easy to get into. Ever been Lubbock? Well I have and you can flat out keep that place. If you're talking STRICTLY recruiting I say Lincoln isn't real easy because of the sparse surrounding population. If you're talking about a place to LIVE....... Lincoln's pretty good for which I've given the reasons. Matter of fact it's been one of the TOP rated cites for years based on quality of living!

We have been getting some excellent skill position players to come but not lineman proves somethings wrong. It ALL depends on who's doing the recruiting imo. I think any BIG NAME proven HC would be able to recruit all the talent needed to have us a consistent Top 15 program! Only way to prove that is terminate Bo and hire a proven name brand HC! I'm really not interested in a 3 million a year coach whining WHY we can't get top talent in Lincoln. Anyone can make excuses........ How many NFL type players did Callyhoots get.. yes even lineman.

If you want to make excuses for WHY we aren't getting the talent we need that's fine. I say it's because of lousy recruiting... you say it's location. Perhaps it's a combo of both but I believe we can do a lot better! Our defense as been on a steady decline since all the Callyhoots recruited players have graduated. Bo had a lot of talent to work with when he took over in 08. Yes he did a very good job with it like he did at LSU! We've had GLARING weaknesses since that time......... Anyone want to debate that simply look at our defensive rankings since 09! See any improvement? I sure don't but hope springs eternal. I've drank enough of the Bo kool aide and we'll see how this seasons plays out!! I'm betting a 7-5 regular season will result in his walking papers. Time will tell on that........

No one's going to know which side is correct until Bo is gone and another regime is in charge. Until then I think we can expect the same old same old from Bo and this crew......................

He was bragging last night about staying "competitive" in the Minn game as well as being competitive with UCLA for a quarter.

Bils, you're not typically this foolish.

Are you taking stupid pills?

I no way was I "bragging" about the Minnesota game. I simply refuted the notion that we hadn't been competitive in either of our losses this year.

Feel free to evaluate his time at UNC (which were years 5 through 9 of his coaching experience).

at no point during Mac Browns time at UNC did his defenses give up 63, 70, 45, 48 pts. He was a defensive guy as well you know? Mighty FSU in their prime put 35 pts on his defense. Most of the season highs for mack brown's defense was 27 to 35 pts for their worst performance.

Last edited:

The point is, lots of rookie head coaches struggle in their first 6 years and then "turn it on."

What was Saban's record in his first 6 years?

I was asked what gives me some hope that Bo can turn things around. I look at those coaches (Carroll is another) and say "hey, a lot of growth happens in 6 years... let's see what he can do in years 7 through 9).

For all we know the previous coach at UNC left Brown with nothing, probation blah blah blah. The fact is he built UNC (not a football school) up quite well it appears.

I no way was I "bragging" about the Minnesota game. I simply refuted the notion that we hadn't been competitive in either of our losses this year.

they gashed our defense for 250 rushing yards. You just dont get it do you? after the first quarter and our team going up 10 to zero like we did in the UCLA game, once that legend assisant coach Minnesota had roaming the sidelines started making adjusments, we were outscored 34 to 13. We closed the gap to 4 points and needed a big stop to take the lead and they drove the ball down our throats. We really were not that competitive after the first quarter.

Really, CM?

Anyway, OK...bragging was a stretch. NU was not competitive against the one good team they've played this year. That you threw in Minn, and the fact that the game was "competitive" was laughable.

Last edited:
at no point during Mac Browns time at UNC did his defenses give up 63, 70, 45, 48 pts. He was a defensive guy as well you know? Mighty FSU in their prime put 35 pts on his defense. Most of the season highs for mack brown's defense was 27 to 35 pts for their worst performance.

So we are back to the "pretty enough" losses evaluation.

Those two 1-10 seasons aren't so bad because they didn't give up so many points....

W/L
Date
PF
Opponent
PA
L
09-03-1988
South Carolina
Columbia, SC
L
09-10-1988
Oklahoma
Chapel Hill, NC
L
09-24-1988
Louisville (KY)
Chapel Hill, NC
L
10-01-1988
Auburn (AL)
Auburn, AL
L
10-08-1988
Wake Forest (NC)
Winston-Salem, NC
L
10-15-1988
North Carolina St.
Chapel Hill, NC
W
10-22-1988
Georgia Tech
Chapel Hill, NC
L
10-29-1988
Maryland
Chapel Hill, NC
L
11-05-1988
Clemson (SC)
Clemson, SC
L
11-12-1988
Virginia
Chapel Hill, NC
L
11-19-1988
Duke (NC)
Durham, NC

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
Season Totals

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
W/L
Date
PF
Opponent
PA
W
09-09-1989
Virginia Military Institute
Chapel Hill, NC
L
09-16-1989
Kentucky
Lexington, KY
L
09-23-1989
North Carolina St.
Raleigh, NC
L
09-30-1989
Navy (MD)
Chapel Hill, NC
L
10-07-1989
Wake Forest (NC)
Chapel Hill, NC
L
10-14-1989
Virginia
Charlottesville, VA
L
10-21-1989
Georgia Tech
Atlanta, GA
L
10-28-1989
Maryland
College Park, MD
L
11-04-1989
Clemson (SC)
Chapel Hill, NC
L
11-11-1989
South Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC
L
11-18-1989
Duke (NC)
Chapel Hill, NC

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
Season Totals

<tbody>
</tbody>

I see some beatdowns there. And UNC wasn't anywhere close to that bad when he took over.

Whatever, the real difference is that some of you have made up your mind, and I need more time. Don't think arguing further is going to make much of a difference for anyone.

I'll check back after Northwestern... or, if we win that game, after Bils or someone else informs me that we've played a "quality" team.

By your standards, was South Dakota State competitive against Nebraska?

So we are back to the "pretty enough" losses evaluation.

Those two 1-10 seasons aren't so bad because they didn't give up so many points....

W/L

Date

PF

Opponent

PA

Notes

L

09-03-1988

South Carolina

Columbia, SC

L

09-10-1988

Oklahoma

Chapel Hill, NC

L

09-24-1988

Louisville (KY)

Chapel Hill, NC

L

10-01-1988

Auburn (AL)

Auburn, AL

L

10-08-1988

Wake Forest (NC)

Winston-Salem, NC

L

10-15-1988

North Carolina St.

Chapel Hill, NC

W

10-22-1988

Georgia Tech

Chapel Hill, NC

L

10-29-1988

Maryland

Chapel Hill, NC

L

11-05-1988

Clemson (SC)

Clemson, SC

L

11-12-1988

Virginia

Chapel Hill, NC

L

11-19-1988

Duke (NC)

Durham, NC

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Season Totals

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

W/L

Date

PF

Opponent

PA

Notes

W

09-09-1989

Virginia Military Institute

Chapel Hill, NC

L

09-16-1989

Kentucky

Lexington, KY

L

09-23-1989

North Carolina St.

Raleigh, NC

L

09-30-1989

Navy (MD)

Chapel Hill, NC

L

10-07-1989

Wake Forest (NC)

Chapel Hill, NC

L

10-14-1989

Virginia

Charlottesville, VA

L

10-21-1989

Georgia Tech

Atlanta, GA

L

10-28-1989

Maryland

College Park, MD

L

11-04-1989

Clemson (SC)

Chapel Hill, NC

L

11-11-1989

South Carolina

Chapel Hill, NC

L

11-18-1989

Duke (NC)

Chapel Hill, NC

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Season Totals

<tbody>
</tbody>

I see some beatdowns there. And UNC wasn't anywhere close to that bad when he took over.

you are really thick dude. Those were his first TWO YEARS NOT YEAR 4, 5 AND 6. OUR COACH IS GOING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back