• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2023 MLB Thread

I wish the Royals had traded Salvy. And apparently he was open to the idea to the right team. That's the one player (other than Witt, who no way do you trade now) that has value for a playoff contender that could have brought in a decent prospect or two. While I get the "Forever Royal" concept, Salvy is past his prime (but would still have value this year for a playoff team). I feel for Bobby Witt Jr, and hope KC can build something around him. Hard seeing so many other teams that were recently struggling now showing great signs of life through their farm system call-ups and trades made in recent years.
They should have. I bet the Marlins would have gave up a solid enough prospect and by all accounts, Salvy wasn’t going to veto Miami. KC’s Yarbrough trade was good though. Kid got hot and they got two Dodger prospects for him. I’ll take Dodger prospects anytime, their analytics team is so far advanced than anyone else in baseball.

They should have. I bet the Marlins would have gave up a solid enough prospect and by all accounts, Salvy wasn’t going to veto Miami. KC’s Yarbrough trade was good though. Kid got hot and they got two Dodger prospects for him. I’ll take Dodger prospects anytime, their analytics team is so far advanced than anyone else in baseball.
They also made one of the worst trades of the offseason by trading Nicky Lopez for a box of cereal

Braves are scary good. With fried back and wright on the way they may be even better.

The Mets dismantling was glorious. Strider v. Ohtani was awesome.

I think the NL central and AL West have the most interesting story lines as each has multiple teams that could win the division and make the playoffs.

I'm a huge trea turner fan. I liked him everywhere he's played and they've all been braves rivals. Tough to watch this terrible year from him. Especially after tearing it up in the WBC.

Braves are scary good. With fried back and wright on the way they may be even better.

The Mets dismantling was glorious. Strider v. Ohtani was awesome.

I think the NL central and AL West have the most interesting story lines as each has multiple teams that could win the division and make the playoffs.

I'm a huge trea turner fan. I liked him everywhere he's played and they've all been braves rivals. Tough to watch this terrible year from him. Especially after tearing it up in the WBC.
Trea Turner was dropped to 8th in the batting order....

Oof

It's unbelievable. Very few players have been as consistently good as Trea Turner over the past several years.

Amazingly, the Phillies are still very much alive for the postseason -- without much from Trea, with little to no power from Bryce, and Schwarber is also subpar this season.

They've done well with Nick Castellanos and the youngsters, Stott and Bohm. And pitching. Michael Lorenzen was a solid add from Detroit -- and he had a great first game with this Phils.

Last edited:

It's unbelievable. Very few players have been as consistently good as Trea Turner over the past several years.

Amazingly, the Phillies are still very much alive for the postseason -- without much from Trea, with little to no power from Bryce, and Schwarber is also subpar this season.

They've done well with Nick Castellanos and the youngsters, Stott and Bohm. And pitching. Michael Lorenzen was a solid add from Detroit -- and he had a great first game with this Phils.
TT’s .658 OPS is cringe. He’s just way too good to be struggling like he is. A homer, a double, and 4 RBI today though. Maybe that’s something moving forward. If I was Thomson, I’d lead him off and see if that sparks something. I’ve watched him play a lot of games and he always seems to really feed and gain confidence when he’s making base running plays. Understand that’s a hard thing to do with his numbers though, especially this late in the season.

TT’s .658 OPS is cringe. He’s just way too good to be struggling like he is. A homer, a double, and 4 RBI today though. Maybe that’s something moving forward. If I was Thomson, I’d lead him off and see if that sparks something. I’ve watched him play a lot of games and he always seems to really feed and gain confidence when he’s making base running plays. Understand that’s a hard thing to do with his numbers though, especially this late in the season.

Yep, definitely hoping last night's huge game by Turner will spark him.

The Philly fans have been very vocally behind him in his struggles. They did the same thing with Alec Bohm last year. Surprises me to see the new breed of Philly fans pick their players up when they're down instead of booing them. I say this as someone who lived in Philly for 12 years. :) Great sport city.

The Phillies currently can stake the claim for getting the most valuable pick up at the deadline.

Michael Lorenzen. In his second game with Philly -- no hitter. First game, he went 8 and gave up 2 ER -- got the win. First game was the deepest he's ever pitched in the majors. And then he topped that in his second. Unbelievable.

His mom, wife, and daughter were obviously loving the moment.

That was the 4th No Hitter this year. Looking it up, 9 No Hitters are the most in any one season and that occurred in 2021. Fun stats.

Yesterday ranked high in Phillies history.

Not only the Lorenzen no-no ... but Wes Wilson -- in his first MLB AB -- homer. He's 28, spent 7 years in the minors. What a rewarding first game. And Nick Castellanos hit two homers to reach 200 in his career.

Last edited:

The Phillies currently can stake the claim for getting the most valuable pick up at the deadline.

Michael Lorenzen. In his second game with Philly -- no hitter. First game, he went 8 and gave up 2 ER -- got the win. First game was the deepest he's ever pitched in the majors. And then he topped that in his second. Unbelievable.

His mom, wife, and daughter were obviously loving the moment.

It was a cool moment. I did watch the game and a few things I noticed. One, Lorenzen’s pitch count was getting up there. Many (I would say most) managers would have pulled him there, especially at this stage in the season. Thomson didn't and I like that given Lorenzen is a veteran. I wouldn’t do that with a young pitcher. Two, when I looked at the stat-casting and analytics, I noticed that there were three very good hits down the stretch that statistically would be hits at a high clip. Two were .510 and one was .590, in terms of batting average. So clearly some clean defense as well, especially for a middle-of-the-pack OAA team.

It was a cool moment. I did watch the game and a few things I noticed. One, Lorenzen’s pitch count was getting up there. Many (I would say most) managers would have pulled him there, especially at this stage in the season. Thomson didn't and I like that given Lorenzen is a veteran. I wouldn’t do that with a young pitcher. Two, when I looked at the stat-casting and analytics, I noticed that there were three very good hits down the stretch that statistically would be hits at a high clip. Two were .510 and one was .590, in terms of batting average. So clearly some clean defense as well, especially for a middle-of-the-pack OAA team.

Yeah, Lorenzen had 124 pitches. That's incredible in today's game. Thomson asked Lorenzen after the 7th how he felt. Of course, he responded he felt strong. So Thomson said he'd give him 20 more pitches. He got through the 8th in 10 pitches, so he basically had to pitch the 9th. I like it -- because again, very few managers would ever do that.

Lorenzen did acknowledge there were quite a few hard hit balls. Some were right at fielders, others were just great plays. You almost always have a bit of luck mixed in to get a no-hitter.

Interesting thing about Lorenzen -- he's been a reliever most of his career. He definitely hasn't logged a lot of innings to match his age.

Last edited:
@HuskerWeatherman Phillies fan

After 13-2 blowout, my Twins won two games, Twinkies 8 Phillies 1, tWINS 3 Phillies 0.

Last edited:

Orioles are ahead of schedule which is fun. The last month of the season really separates the teams that are built for deep runs from teams who have over performed. The Astros are still the class of the AL until proven otherwise.

Atlanta is on a historic pace offensively. This offense will go down as an all time great. It is not laughable to suggest murderers row, big red machine territory when it's over. 1-9 they have power, average, and reasonable speed. There isn't a weakness and in the 1st they routinely put up crooked numbers.

Dodgers remain a viable deep postseason threat. Philly has proven when they are hot they can beat anyone.

AL Central is glorified AAA ball.

Cubs have enough talent on offense to win a shootout and the padres are perhaps the biggest disappointments in recent history. Or 1 of the NY teams.

What a fun season, especially as a Braves fan.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back