• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2023 MLB Thread

Orioles are ahead of schedule which is fun. The last month of the season really separates the teams that are built for deep runs from teams who have over performed. The Astros are still the class of the AL until proven otherwise.

Atlanta is on a historic pace offensively. This offense will go down as an all time great. It is not laughable to suggest murderers row, big red machine territory when it's over. 1-9 they have power, average, and reasonable speed. There isn't a weakness and in the 1st they routinely put up crooked numbers.

Dodgers remain a viable deep postseason threat. Philly has proven when they are hot they can beat anyone.

AL Central is glorified AAA ball.

Cubs have enough talent on offense to win a shootout and the padres are perhaps the biggest disappointments in recent history. Or 1 of the NY teams.

What a fun season, especially as a Braves fan.
If Fried can stay healthy they have to be the favorites to win the WS, but without him they are gonna have to outslug everyone unless Strider is pitching. They are currently trotting out yonny chirinos every 5th game.... :mindblown:

If Fried can stay healthy they have to be the favorites to win the WS, but without him they are gonna have to outslug everyone unless Strider is pitching. They are currently trotting out yonny chirinos every 5th game.... :mindblown:

Charlie Morton came up with a gem tonight. Granted, this series against the Yankees is pitching against a sub-par-to-poor offense.

The Yanks are 22nd in the majors in runs scored this season. Judge returned to be the player he has been most of his career -- one of the best when healthy -- but healthy is not common. There will be some major changes in New York this offseason. That's a very mediocre ball club across the board.

Back to the Braves pitching ... they are still 2nd in the NL in runs allowed this season. Behind only the Padres pitching staff. But it does seem they've been "inconsistent" in the second half. Fried, Strider, Elder, and Morton are all capable. But it seems Strider has been clearly the most reliable lately. @Black41FlashReverse can chime in with this.

Random stat. The Phillies have the best road record in baseball since June 3.

Charlie Morton came up with a gem tonight. Granted, this series against the Yankees is pitching against a sub-par-to-poor offense.

The Yanks are 22nd in the majors in runs scored this season. Judge returned to be the player he has been most of his career -- one of the best when healthy -- but healthy is not common. There will be some major changes in New York this offseason. That's a very mediocre ball club across the board.

Back to the Braves pitching ... they are still 2nd in the NL in runs allowed this season. Behind only the Padres pitching staff. But it does seem they've been "inconsistent" in the second half. Fried, Strider, Elder, and Morton are all capable. But it seems Strider has been clearly the most reliable lately. @Black41FlashReverse can chime in with this.

I didn't realize their runs allowed was so good, but I don't think they can expect 7 scoreless in the playoffs from a guy that is a substitute teacher in the offseason.

The Braves offense is so good and they have recent World Series experience so it may not be that big of deal, but I generally like teams heading into the postseason that have been playing high-pressure baseball for a month to close the season. Atlanta has built up a lead big enough to autopilot in September, but it can help them get healthy, too.

Not sure I completely trust Elder and Morton I’m this years playoffs. Braves are so good I might not need to.

With average, maybe even slightly below average pitching I don't know who can beat this team in a 7 game series. There is not a rotation that can navigate that lineup successfully 4 times out of 7.

The Phillies are playing good baseball, and the Dodgers Braves square off next week which may well be a preview of a postseason series.

Morton, Elder, and Strider have all had "get right" starts against the AAA clubs New York is fielding. The rotation as a whole has been getting a little unlucky since the break and was due for some positive regression, but I certainly don't expect Morton to give up 7 walks and not have it translate into runs, or for Elder to pitch 7 innings of 1 hit ball.

Really if everyone stays healthy I just don't think this team needs great pitching to win a title. Obviously it's baseball and anything can happen in a series, they could lay an egg and get bounced in the second round (assuming they get a bye). But, as a fan the expectation is that it is a WS or bust, and that seems to be unanimous.

If Fried remains at front of the rotation level, Morton has more big game experience than perhaps any player let alone pitcher, Strider can strike out 14 any given night, Wright led the league in wins last year, and Elder has been a very dependable back of the rotation starter. If 3 of those guys can produce in the postseason I think the team is unbeatable.

Philly also has the best team ERA since June 1.

Who knows what'll happen with my Phillies. They have all the pieces, but the pieces have rarely all functioned as hoped. Yet here they are.

Mets, Yankees, Padres.

The three highest payrolls in baseball this season. Very good chance none of them will make the postseason.
I smile inside every time I see the standings. Yankees have their system stripped down, but the Padres and the Mets are blocking their talent coming up by just buying everyone. They could save a lot of money and invest it more wisely.

I smile inside every time I see the standings. Yankees have their system stripped down, but the Padres and the Mets are blocking their talent coming up by just buying everyone. They could save a lot of money and invest it more wisely.
The Padres are a bit different than the other two in that they actually have a positive run differential (+57, 4th best in the NL). Their win/loss record of 59-66 does not align with their expected win/loss record of 69-56 based on the run differential. The Mets and Yankees records are right in line with their expected win/loss records based on their run differentials.

The Padres are a bit different than the other two in that they actually have a positive run differential (+57, 4th best in the NL). Their win/loss record of 59-66 does not align with their expected win/loss record of 69-56 based on the run differential. The Mets and Yankees records are right in line with their expected win/loss records based on their run differentials.

Which indicates a level of underachieving for the Padres, and that tends to go right to the manager.

San Diego has scored 122 fewer runs than the Dodgers. With Tatis, Soto, Machado, and Bogaerts in the heart of the lineup. There shouldn't be a better 2-3-4-5 in baseball, based on their respective careers. However, they are all underperforming. Machado and Bogaerts are both in their 30s now. And since they didn't sell at the deadline, they've limited their future.

At 7 games under .500, the Padres have almost no shot at making the postseason.

Which indicates a level of underachieving for the Padres, and that tends to go right to the manager.

San Diego has scored 122 fewer runs than the Dodgers. With Tatis, Soto, Machado, and Bogaerts in the heart of the lineup. There shouldn't be a better 2-3-4-5 in baseball, based on their respective careers. However, they are all underperforming. Machado and Bogaerts are both in their 30s now. And since they didn't sell at the deadline, they've limited their future.

At 7 games under .500, the Padres have almost no shot at making the postseason.
Tatis and soto really aren't having that bad of seasons. Bogaerts on the other hand... woof

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back