• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2020 sports seasons from a guy who knows

That's why I can't see the NCAA cancelling fall sports. Only way that happens is if society as we know it has fully collapsed. At that point, college athletics would be way down towards the bottom on a list of things to worry about. I'm no expert on COVID-19, but I doubt we get to that point.

Hopefully things will be cooled down by then. But there are plenty of teleconferences going on right now that are discussing the possibility of no or limited fall sports. They've already postponed the Olympics for a year. The Olympics basically overlap your football training camp season, so it's not a stretch at all that we don't have fall sports. If we do have them, they may play in empty gyms and stadiums.

I saw an article last night saying football generates 6B dollars annually. Not sure if that was just college but they would also need a bail out if it gets cancelled. It would be devastating on so many fronts. The Olympics killed Omaha’s last chance at revenue with the swim trials. Brutal.

What is scary is these bodies are not mandated by Federal oversight. They can make these decisions independently and will err on the side of caution if there is no confidence in a coordinated response from the govt. In other words, they will do whatever the hell they want.

Last edited:
Hopefully things will be cooled down by then. But there are plenty of teleconferences going on right now that are discussing the possibility of no or limited fall sports. They've already postponed the Olympics for a year. The Olympics basically overlap your football training camp season, so it's not a stretch at all that we don't have fall sports. If we do have them, they may play in empty gyms and stadiums.

I agree that conferences are scrambling on the idea of sports in the fall being impacted, but the Olympics being postponed should not be taken as any insight for what will happen to any other league. The Olympics are so huge, and require so much training and qualifying, that it couldn't be held this summer. I haven't looked, but I don't think any of the major Olympic sports have have had any sort of qualifying events.

Also, I saw some NCAA coaches were interviewed and 2 SEC coaches were not optimistic there would be a season and 2 other coaches were hopeful but uncertain. If I can find that link I will post it.

I saw an article last night saying football generates 6B dollars annually. Not sure if that was just college but they would also need a bail out if it gets cancelled. It would be devastating on so many fronts. The Olympics killed Omaha’s last chance at revenue with the swim trials. Brutal.

What is scary is these bodies are not mandated by Federal oversight. They can make these decisions independently and will err on the side of caution if there is no confidence in a coordinated response from the govt. In other words, they will do whatever the hell they want.

Actually, sports are such money machine I am worried that these bodies would err on the side of recklessness. These team owners are in major hurt right now. Even billionaires can go bust. If the CDC and/or the Executive branch feels that playing is unwise, they will shut it down. This is one time that sports seems to be in its proper perspective. And they are already getting bailout dollars just as any other business is. Bailout dollars are available for non profits, too, so who knows what colleges and/or the NCAA can receive. Might be interesting.

Also, I saw some NCAA coaches were interviewed and 2 SEC coaches were not optimistic there would be a season and 2 other coaches were hopeful but uncertain. If I can find that link I will post it.

that's interesting. please do when you can. When I was helping my neighbor jack off his horse he told me the same thing. I think more is going to be leaking out in the coming days. Kind of makes me wonder even about high school sports. Are they more or less apt to get canned than the pros and college?

Last edited:

Doing the math requires understanding saturation. You cannot continue doubling at a point where most people in that region have been exposed but not infected. Already we are seeing areas of heavy exposure slowing down. New York being the exception
Where are we seeing exposure slowing down? It’s doubling every other day. Last Friday there were 18,000+ cases. Today, not even a week later, it’s the most in the world. Passed China, with 1.3 billion people. Trump is full of crap if he thinks things are ready to roll by Easter. This is a huge problem. For everyone.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back