• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4 * WR Dez Fitzpatrick chooses Louisville (his dad responds to NU fans on twitter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dez Fitzpatrick deserves to go to the school he chooses. He gave Nebraska a long look, but decided to go to Louisville. Respect his choice. I would have loved to see him as a Husker, but he made different choice. I wish him well. Attacking this kid in any way makes me sick. WE have to be better fans. A vocal minority taints our brand and what the majority of us represent.

deleted

Attachments

• 5c980772cda3fc42aa90b41b1b880ee02cfe3714fff8fdef0b988b7dcfd44dd6.jpg
    5c980772cda3fc42aa90b41b1b880ee02cfe3714fff8fdef0b988b7dcfd44dd6.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Dez Fitzpatrick deserves to go to the school he chooses. He gave Nebraska a long look, but decided to go to Louisville. Respect his choice. I would have loved to see him as a Husker, but he made different choice. I wish him well. Attacking this kid in any way makes me sick. WE have to be better fans. A vocal minority taints our brand and what the majority of us represent.

And any father who is a caoch and doesn't understand this and feeds the trolls by engaging them probably should not be allowed to mold young minds. How many times have we said if you are a player you are probably better staying away from social media during the season. This guy is a coach and he is not that smart? Look I would never tweet a kid. I [ost on message boards but probably not a lot of players come here. Even still I try to be more positive than negative. If you tweet directly to a player anything but encouragement you are a loser. If you are a coach that reacts to it probably a bigger loser. Just sayin.

Whoa, what a reach. :Biggrin:

Seriously, I think people look at Riley as a good closer because the entire staff builds relationships and he is able to close by proving he is the best guy to take care of your kids. Hell, is that even a question vs Harbaugh and Petrino? Their close has to be "I can get you to the NFL" or "We'll run this kind of offense". While both are incredible draws for these players, I think we'll get our share of quality guys with Riley selling that relationship that's more important than a couple of wins, or 10 spots in the draft, or quitting your NFL team early or getting into a motorcycle acciden........OK, you get it.

My disgust for Petrino is deep. And it goes back further than the arkansas fiasco, bailing on Atlanta, etc. He's a first class lowlife and has been for a LOONG time.

https://slumz.boxden.com/f16/bobby-petrino-adds-to-his-scumbag-resume-2173809/

In the NFL world, Bobby Petrino’s reputation for not being a man of his word stems mostly from his decision to abandon the Falcons during his only season as their head coach and take a job at Arkansas. In the college football world, Petrino’s reputation for not being a man of his word goes much deeper than that.

There was the time Petrino gave his mistress a job in the Arkansas athletic department, then engaged in a cover-up after questions were raised when he crashed his motorcycle with her on the back. There was the time Petrino took a job as an a.ssistant at Auburn without even bothering to tell his boss (Tom Coughlin) that he was leaving his previous job. There was the time he went behind the backs of his bosses at Louisville in an attempt to get Auburn to fire his former boss (Tommy Tuberville) and get himself hired in Tuberville’s place. There was the time Petrino quit Louisville six months after signing a 10-year contract extension and promising he wasn’t going anywhere.

And now we have the recruitment of Matt Colburn.

Colburn being the RB that was committed to UL for a long time before petrino yanked the rug out from under him at the last minute.

That's how social media rolls. The majority say nothing, but the trolls will troll. This is social media 101. If Daddy didn't think that there would be trolls from the side that they snubbed, then Daddy is not very smart. He is clearly not equipped to deal with social media. It's much easier to wish him ill will after going after my home state. Hell I want to troll him now. :stirthepot:

The assumption is that the trolls are Husker Fans. I have no doubt they exist, but it could be fans of other schools trying to make the Huskers look bad.

As far as dad goes...never hit send or enter or whatever it is to twit on twitter...you can think it, you can type it....then you should delete it. I do that here all the time... As I learned the hardway when I was in the Air Force...NEVER PUT IT IN WRITING!!

Just cuz Petrino has the ethics of a )(*^&, one can't assume that shenanigans are at play here. He told the kid and his family what they wanted to hear...whether that all plays out is not my concern...not my kid and not my dad. If there are shenanigans, the kid will be playing on Sunday or selling cars before the NCAA gets around to doing anything so it's not really worth getting your knickers in a bunch.

My disgust for Petrino is deep. And it goes back further than the arkansas fiasco, bailing on Atlanta, etc. He's a first class lowlife and has been for a LOONG time.

https://slumz.boxden.com/f16/bobby-petrino-adds-to-his-scumbag-resume-2173809/

Colburn being the RB that was committed to UL for a long time before petrino yanked the rug out from under him at the last minute.

I get why 18 yr old kids wouldn't know about it, but parents? And the school rehiring him is just hilarious. At no time can they do the "It's more than wins and losses" thing, because once you hire Bobby, it's about wins and nothing else.

A lesson for recruits and their parents: if you don't want negative drama on social media then don't turn your announcement into a three ring circus. Just a dumb fan offering my two cents.

A lesson for recruits and their parents: if you don't want negative drama on social media then don't turn your announcement into a three ring circus. Just a dumb fan offering my two cents.

Cant completely disagree....

50% of the time, he'll sign every time!

[video=youtube;pjvQFtlNQ-M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjvQFtlNQ-M[/video]

Just for the record, Lamar Thomas, the WR coach, is a real ****** as well. I like most ex-Dolphins but he's not one.

Last edited:
To re-cap some recent developments:
-- DF is seemingly firmly committed to our coaching staff
-- The coach who was DF's lead recruiter at Louisville (Buckley) leaves for Miss St.
-- DF's close friend Tony Butler commits to Nebraska recently, and another friend (Lamar Jackson) likely will tomorrow
-- Louisville's dirtbag HC can't make it to Detroit for an in-home visit because he has someone more important to visit in Florida
-- The WR coach at Louisville may be heading to Kentucky
-- Dez breaks his silent commit and "flips" back to Louisville

What's wrong with this picture?

Everything I've heard around the water cooler is that Dez told the coaches he was 100% "N" and pulled the old flakarooni. Always sucks to lose a guy like Dez heads-up at the 11th hour, especially to a dodgy bastage like Petrino.

I'm not sure how the coaches could have played this much differently though. It's difficult to play the "take the Louisville visit and you lose your spot" card to a guy that you initially poached from Louisville.

This is an interesting point. I'm not saying the coaches played this wrong. Anyone would have to be much closer to this decision than anyone here is, even the most informed posters, to really know that. You'd have to be "in the room", and even then, you'd have to be a better judge of tactics than Riley and whoever was key in handling this. So anything I say here is for discussion purposes only. I am not criticizing Riley at all.

But I don't agree that our poaching Dez from Louisville specifically means the coaches couldn't have tried to use the "go there and you lose your spot" card. First, and easiest, it would be simple for our coaches to point out while doing so, that the late hour is the reason they would have to insist on that. This has the advantage of being really, really true, so the threat would be credible. When we poached Dez, Louisville had forever to back fill. The principle here isn't that you somehow have to be fair and never change your mind, or get somebody else to change their mind. It's only that if you don't want to be a real ******** in life, you don't want to leave people hanging without alternatives at the last moment unnecessarily.

The second reason why the staff could have told Dez not to go still depends on the lateness of the hour, but is not exactly the same. It's just a fact of life that everyone in life has to and gets to play their own hand. That's true of Dez and true of the Huskers and all of their counterparts out there. You still want to avoid unnecessarily quashing people's options, especially if you aren't really offering them something solid, but there is no reason at all that you can't simply say, "Look, I know we took you from Louisville, but that doesn't really matter. We want you, we need you. We will have a spot for you. If you want us to keep that for sure, you have to shut your recruiting down." There is no moral or practical reason the coaches can't simply say something like that, regardless of how we poached him from Louisville in the past. They've got to play their hand, and everyone else in the game knows they do and has to do the same thing. That's just life.

The real challenge for the staff in deciding this instead would have been the old dilemma of risk-reward in letting him go. Do you risk losing him if you let him go? Do you actually have a chance of getting someone better? These coaches have felt the sharp points of the horns of that dilemma many times I'm sure, so they have their own way of thinking about it. But again, it's really hard for anyone, and impossible for anyone here except a top 50 D1 coach who is lurking (as if they had the time), to judge Riley on how he calculated this in one specific instance in one specific year. At the very least, you'd have to see him get his lunch taken away from him over and over in multiple years before you could judge he was being too soft or some other diagnosis, and even then, it would be a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back