• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If Texas Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say "anyone could do better" but I don't think keeping Bo because Callahan was a bad hire is a legit reason to keep Bo. I agree that he should be fired based on the product on the field. So how many years do you give him to get it fixed. We've been one year away for a lot of years

You didn't. Others have. I explained my insertion of Callahan in the conversation.

Bo is on the edge. Slip below the 9-4 level for more than one year and it gets harder to keep him.

Are you saying Bo doesn't have that potential?

What else can you base the decision on other than comparing their win/loss records at same point in their careers?

I think he can get it done. I'm willing to give him a few more years post TM before I decide.

Not directly, but ultimately, yes. I truly hope your patience pays off.

LOL. Better look at the quotes again.

what I hate is ..if next year BO breaks into the top 25 some will want to give him another year

That quote, from Pops, to me is the same as saying "I'd hate it if Bo (Nebraska) breaks into the top 25 some will want to give him another year." How is that not the same as saying he'd hate it if Nebraska breaks into the top 25?

Talk about distortion…..

He said what he said. He ought to stand by it. If you want to defend it, you ought to go ahead and defend what the guy said, not what you think he means.

LOL indeed…..:rolleyes:

Last edited:

That quote, from Pops, to me is the same as saying "I'd hate it if Bo (Nebraska) breaks into the top 25 some will want to give him another year." How is that not the same as saying he'd hate it if Nebraska breaks into the top 25?

Talk about distortion…..

He said what he said. He ought to stand by it. If you want to defend it, you ought to go ahead and defend what the guy said, not what you think he means.

Very simply, Pops sentence is conditional. That's what the "if" means. Pops is saying if we merely crack teh top 25, people will want to keep Bo. Those people doing that - not the team cracking the top 25 - would be annoying to Pops.

I don't know the particular reason Pops has for being annoyed if those people do that. He didn't say. But there are many obvious ones. He might feel that would result in Bo being kept when he only showed he could make minor improvement and only for one year, for example. Or he might feel that those people are already annoying and this would make it more so. Or other reasons. Or a combination.

But the logic of the sentence is what it is. It's not open to interpretation that he was saying he hoped the huskers failed. That's you seeing what you want to see.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
No MNC, but Frank finished in the top 10 in 1999, 2000 and 2001 including a number 2/3 finish in 1999. That's 3 top ten finishes in 6 years. Were you not paying attention?

It's amazing how those top 10 finishes just stopped on a dime right about the time all of TO's players were out the door and Frank was on his own ledger. Regardless of overall win percentage, anyone who couldn't see that things were going downhill quickly either doesn't know what they're looking at or refuses to accept what their eyes are showing them.

Very simply, Pops sentence is conditional. That's what the "if" means. Pops is saying if we merely crack teh top 25, people will want to keep Bo. Those people doing that - not the team cracking the top 25 - would be annoying to Pops.

It's just English.

That's unpossible!

not true...it's folk like yourself that like to throw the word hate around. I dont hate nor love anyone in a coaching position. I don't love nor hate the players.
I do NOT LIKE Bo's style of coaching. Undisciplined, no passion, no fire, unsound fundamental football. that is what I don't like.
So folks like yourself that like to assign names to people like myself to make you feel better about yourself and your true ...I'm a fan through thick and thin BS is just that BS.
I'm ok with not liking BO and his lack of fundamental football....seems you're not.

Pops, as someone who knows you personally I can honestly say hate is one of the last words I would associate with you.

The point that I was making was that while Miles looks great to us now, after 14 seasons without a conference title, if he'd have directly followed TO, there would be a segment of our fan base for whom Miles' fine record wouldn't be good enough. And yes, it is all speculation….

And it would have been a very small segment so who cares?

Talk about distortion…..

Brew, not sure if i should comment here at all, but I think you are totally off base with what you are implying here and in some of your earlier replies. Contrary to what some people believe, it is entirely possible to root for the Nebraska football team while not liking Bo as the coach. That is just a fact. It is also possible to hope that Nebraska reaches the top 25 (or better), while not wanting Bo to get another year just for doing something (top 25) that should happen every year. That is also just a fact. Some of the comments you are making in this thread, IMO seem far harsher than your normal comments. I think you know that Pops, and others who share similar views are fans and want only the best for the program. I think you should take people at their word. I would not question any of the bo-liever's status as "fans" just because they like Bo Pelini, someone who I think is bad for the program.

Brew, not sure if i should comment here at all, but I think you are totally off base with what you are implying here and in some of your earlier replies. Contrary to what some people believe, it is entirely possible to root for the Nebraska football team while not liking Bo as the coach. That is just a fact. It is also possible to hope that Nebraska reaches the top 25 (or better), while not wanting Bo to get another year just for doing something (top 25) that should happen every year. That is also just a fact. Some of the comments you are making in this thread, IMO seem far harsher than your normal comments. I think you know that Pops, and others who share similar views are fans and want only the best for the program. I think you should take people at their word. I would not question any of the bo-liever's status as "fans" just because they like Bo Pelini, someone who I think is bad for the program.

Fair enough. But I'll continue to be infuriated by fans who even suggest that they'd prefer that Nebraska have a less than acceptable year in order so that the coach (whoever happens to be the head coach at Nebraska) not be retained. It goes against everything I believe in in competition and sports. Bad night by me, maybe, but it just struck me the wrong way.

Fair enough. But I'll continue to be infuriated by fans who even suggest that they'd prefer that Nebraska have a less than acceptable year in order so that the coach (whoever happens to be the head coach at Nebraska) not be retained. It goes against everything I believe in in competition and sports. Bad night by me, maybe, but it just struck me the wrong way.

There are those that are equally infuriated that Bo has had a few less than acceptable years already and is still the coach

There are those that are equally infuriated that Bo has had a few less than acceptable years already and is still the coach

Are they hopeful that Bo will slip up and finally lose enough games so that he can be fired? If so, I'm not happy with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back