• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If Texas Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly what is your rationale for proclaiming that Nebraska "should" be in the top 25 every year?

You're shoulding all over yourself again.

Don't know about SoCalRed but mine is for 34 years we were Top 25 for 32 of those years! That's from 1963 to 1997!! BETTER coaching PRODUCES better results imo.......... The following years 1998 to 2012 we were Top 25 10 of those 14 years...... Certainly a step backwards but still pretty good wouldn't you agree? sooooooooooooooooooooooo in 48 years we finished in the top 25... 42 out of 48 years or aprox 83% of time........

So in reality we have mostly finished pretty in the TOP 25 over 48 years.... of course this year probably won't be one of them!!!

Therefore I have to agree with GFOA........

We should usually finish in the TOP 25 based on the previous 48 years............ :Biggrin:

Last edited:

Exactly what is your rationale for proclaiming that Nebraska "should" be in the top 25 every year?

You're shoulding all over yourself again.

Top 15 facilities, top 15 paid coach, ranked 10th most valuable by Forbes, great fans, great tradition, sellouts every game since 1962. For the life of me I can't think of anything that might make him feel that way. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Don't know about SoCalRed but mine is for 34 years we were Top 25 for 32 of those years! That's from 1963 to 1997!! BETTER coaching PRODUCES better results imo.......... The following years 1998 to 2012 we were Top 25 10 of those 14 years...... Certainly a step backwards but still pretty good wouldn't you agree? sooooooooooooooooooooooo in 48 years we finished in the top 25... 42 out of 48 years or aprox 83% of time........

So in reality we have mostly finished pretty in the TOP 25 over 48 years.... of course this year probably won't be one of them!!!

Therefore I have to agree with GFOA........

We should usually finish in the TOP 25 based on the previous 48 years............ :Biggrin:

This...there's no excuse for not producing a decent program with the facilities, history, resources and support Nebraska enjoys. Its the minimum...like getting a C on a report card.

The huskers will crack the top 25 next year. Miami looks beatable. And no one has to worry about Bo slipping up and losing a few. He just has to keep coaching on par with what he's already done. The losses will come.

BrewCityHusker:
I understand the logic. I understand that 'if' makes it conditional. However, there is an implication in Pops statement that you choose to ignore.

Pops would prefer that Bo Pelini be fired. He's openly stated it…many times. That he would be "annoyed" had nothing to do with what Pops posted. That is a word that you have inserted, in order to make Pops statement appear less harsh. Very tricky. I actually kind of admire it. But Pops said he would hate it, a much stronger word. You have implied that what Pops meant by hate is that he would be annoyed. That is not what he posted at all. How can you know what he meant? Since he would hate it if a top 25 finish resulted in some fans wishing to retain coach Pelini, does it not imply that he would prefer that Nebraska not have a top 25 finish, in order that Pelini not be retained? If that isn't what Pops meant and he clarified it for me, I would certainly apologize for my outburst.

The reason that I've objected so vehemently to his statement is that I just can't fathom fans hoping for team failure in order to rid us of a coach that some fans don't like.

I'll agree to disagree. In any case, as GFOA points out, you are typically even handed in my opinion. Much of my post would have been better targeted at the handful on this board who are regularly abusive without basis. They're the ones I was mostly thinking of when I made what I think is the most important part of my point in the last paragraph:

What I don't understand is why so many Bolievers think they have to resort to personal attacks on Boleavers, when the Boleavers so seldom attack them. It suggests they don't have confidence in the content of their arguments, which is silly, because many (but not all) of their arguments are really pretty good.

Last edited:

BrewCityHusker:

I'll agree to disagree. In any case, as GFOA points out, you are typically even handed in my opinion. Much of my post would have been better targeted at the handful on this board who are regularly abusive without basis. They're the ones I was mostly thinking of when I made what I think is the most important part of my point in the last paragraph:

I'll let it go at that. I've not been prone to such outbursts. The sometimes overbearing divisiveness displayed on this board got the better of me…..so against all logic, I plunged right into the middle of it.

I'll let it go at that. I've not been prone to such outbursts. The sometimes overbearing divisiveness displayed on this board got the better of me…..so against all logic, I plunged right into the middle of it.

I would say you're normally one of the most level headed posters on this board. And no, I don't always include myself in that group. :cheers:

[/QUOTE]I understand the logic. I understand that 'if' makes it conditional. However, there is an implication in Pops statement that you choose to ignore.

Pops would prefer that Bo Pelini be fired. He's openly stated it…many times. That he would be "annoyed" had nothing to do with what Pops posted. That is a word that you have inserted, in order to make Pops statement appear less harsh. Very tricky. I actually kind of admire it. But Pops said he would hate it, a much stronger word. You have implied that what Pops meant by hate is that he would be annoyed. That is not what he posted at all. How can you know what he meant? Since he would hate it if a top 25 finish resulted in some fans wishing to retain coach Pelini, does it not imply that he would prefer that Nebraska not have a top 25 finish, in order that Pelini not be retained? If that isn't what Pops meant and he clarified it for me, I would certainly apologize for my outburst.

The reason that I've objected so vehemently to his statement is that I just can't fathom fans hoping for team failure in order to rid us of a coach that some fans don't like.[/QUOTE]

Good god...
Let me explain. I dont hate BO, I dont hate the fans. I said I would hate it if BO cracks the top 25 next year ..yes I used the word hate.
The reason is. Neb has dropped off the map of relevance since BO has come on board. Each year a little lower than the year before but just good enough to keep him on. This year out of the top 25. So in that, if BO cracks the top 25 many here will give the excuse that he is improving. The talent on Neb, the history of Neb, the tradition of Neb all other things Neb, this team should never be out of the top 15. I've been anti Bo since his hire, he hasn't shown anything for me to become a fan of his.
Again I do not hate BO, I do not hate the team. I dont want BO or the team to lose ...even saying that is a joke. I just know what the package of BO contains and we have seen his best. geniuses dont need a 10 year process. I will give some leeway on that and say yes...get your system in place and make it work but in year 6 when you are still trying to figure out what that system is, is when it becomes a joke.

I use Hockey and Herb Brooks as i consider him to be one of the best coaches of any sport. He took a group of kids and put them together and made them a family. He got kids from MN, North Dakota, Boston that all hated each other and made them play TOGETHER. Hell right before the olympics he scheduled a game with the Russians not so the kids had a chance to win they lost 10-3...Herb wanted the intimidation factor gone when they hit the ice in the olympics. He wanted them to see what a team plays like when they pay more attention to the name on the front of the jersey than the name on the back.

So you can assume all day every day that I want this team to fail...that is the furthest thing from the truth. What I want is for BO to become the coach he was labeled as. I'm as much of a fan as anyone on this site. Just because I don't blow bubbles and whistle the Neb fight song under a rainbow does not make me any less of a fan

Let me see if I have this straight.

Pops says:

Brew distorts it to:

But Pop never said anything such thing, did he? He didn't say he doesn't want to crack the top 25. He just said that he hates that IF we did, some people would want to give Bo another year. We may agree or disagree with Pops on whether giving Bo another year if we cracked the top 25 is a good thing, but he clearly didn't say he didn't want the Huskers to do that well.

See how distortion of the opponents position is such an important part of a personal attack on another poster?

But the personal attack itself is in calling Pops out as a "hater"(of Bo), which after all, is what we call a person who hates.

Pops doesn't like that, so he defends himself.

So Brew doubles down on the slur:

Then has the nads to deny that he made it:

Pretty tricky, eh?

Brew isn't finished though. After telling Pops he knows better than him about what Pops thinks, he says Pops is actually the one doing it.

This is really a tour de force personal attack by Brew. I have to give him credit. What's amazing is that he felt the need to do it, when he had actually made a pretty good argument about Les Miles' level of success having been similar to Frank's, who of course was fired, and the lesson about prematurely firing coaches that suggests.

What I don't understand is why so many Bolievers think they have to resort to personal attacks on Boleavers, when the Boleavers so seldom attack them. It suggests they don't have confidence in the content of their arguments, which is silly, because many (but not all) of their arguments are really pretty good.

thanks Nut...I dont care about personal attack...I dont take em personal

He said what I said he said. The distortion is yours.

I truly object to fans who would prefer that we lose in order to make it easier to fire a coach they don't like. I'd prefer we win all of our games, regardless of who is coaching.

Perhaps I overdid it…...

The bolded sentence is why.

can you show me where I stated the bolded?

much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back