• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If Texas Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is exactly the sort of thinking that led us to Callahan.

Every time I hear someone use the Callahan excuse as a reason to keep Bo, I feel we need to fire Bo. It weakens the argument to keep Bo just like throwing Hitler into the other arguments.

Every time I hear someone use the Callahan excuse as a reason to keep Bo, I feel we need to fire Bo. It weakens the argument to keep Bo just like throwing Hitler into the other arguments.

I made no such excuse. I pointed out another poster's flawed thinking. If you wish to fire a coach because you believe "anyone" can do better, you may end up finding that "anyone" can't do better, especially when you are in the business of firing coaches who win 70% or more of their games. Coaches should be hired and fired based on the product on the field, and in some cases based on other issues (NCAA violations, Bimbo afflictions, behavior that embarrasses the university, etc…). We'll see what happens with Bo. If the issues within the program (turnovers, poor tackling, S&C, etc…) don't get resolved, I highly doubt he'll be able to continue winning at his current rate. If somehow he does get them resolved, more games will be won. Either way, the decision to hire or fire him will be more straightforward. Neither Callahan nor Hitler will have anything to do with it.

Every time I hear someone say "Well, with our players, facilities and schedule, "anyone" can do better than Bo", I naturally think of Callahan.

Let me see if I have this straight.

Pops says:

what I hate is ..if next year BO breaks into the top 25 some will want to give him another year

Brew distorts it to:

....you openly state that you would "hate it" if we crack the top 25, because that does not align with your personal agenda (well stated, but personal, nonetheless) against our current head coach.

But Pop never said anything such thing, did he? He didn't say he doesn't want to crack the top 25. He just said that he hates that IF we did, some people would want to give Bo another year. We may agree or disagree with Pops on whether giving Bo another year if we cracked the top 25 is a good thing, but he clearly didn't say he didn't want the Huskers to do that well.

See how distortion of the opponents position is such an important part of a personal attack on another poster?

But the personal attack itself is in calling Pops out as a "hater"(of Bo), which after all, is what we call a person who hates.

No. What you hate is Bo.

Pops doesn't like that, so he defends himself.

not true...it's folk like yourself that like to throw the word hate around. I don't hate nor love anyone in a coaching position. I don't love nor hate the players. ....

So Brew doubles down on the slur:

Could have fooled me.

Then has the nads to deny that he made it:

I've not assigned any names to you or anyone else.

Pretty tricky, eh?

Brew isn't finished though. After telling Pops he knows better than him about what Pops thinks, he says Pops is actually the one doing it.

... Come on, man. You don't know me.

This is really a tour de force personal attack by Brew. I have to give him credit. What's amazing is that he felt the need to do it, when he had actually made a pretty good argument about Les Miles' level of success having been similar to Frank's, who of course was fired, and the lesson about prematurely firing coaches that suggests.

What I don't understand is why so many Bolievers think they have to resort to personal attacks on Boleavers, when the Boleavers so seldom attack them. It suggests they don't have confidence in the content of their arguments, which is silly, because many (but not all) of their arguments are really pretty good.

Pops says:

Brew distorts it to:

But Pop never said anything such thing, did he? He didn't say he doesn't want to crack the top 25. He just said that he hates that IF we did, some people would want to give Bo another year. We may agree or disagree with Pops on whether giving Bo another year if we cracked the top 25 is a good thing, but he clearly didn't say he didn't want the Huskers to do that well.

See how distortion of the opponents position is such an important part of a personal attack on another poster?

But the personal attack itself is in calling Pops out as a "hater"(of Bo), which after all, is what we call a person who hates.

Pretty tricky, eh?

Brew isn't finished though. After telling Pops he knows better than him about what Pops thinks, he says Pops is actually the one doing it.

This is really a tour de force personal attack by Brew. I have to give him credit. What's amazing is that he felt the need to do it, when he had actually made a pretty good argument about Les Miles' level of success having been similar to Frank's, who of course was fired, and the lesson about prematurely firing coaches that suggests.

What I don't understand is why so many Bolievers think they have to resort to personal attacks on Boleavers, when the Boleavers so seldom attack them. It suggests they don't have confidence in the content of their arguments, which is silly, because many (but not all) of their arguments are really pretty good.

I agree with everything you said (unless I'm not supposed to)...thanks for saying it!

Last edited:

If Miles leaves LSU, Bo would absolutely be a candidate for the job. Anyone who thinks differently really doesn't know the fan base in Baton Rogue. They love Bo down there and he can recruit the athletes he likes for his D down there.
I have two of my best friends who live in BR, they are long time season ticket holders and boosters. I've been to many games since the 90's (best tailgating in football!) and all my friends down there have said they love Bo.

But Texas is not hiring Miles.

I made no such excuse. I pointed out another poster's flawed thinking. If you wish to fire a coach because you believe "anyone" can do better, you may end up finding that "anyone" can't do better, especially when you are in the business of firing coaches who win 70% or more of their games. Coaches should be hired and fired based on the product on the field, and in some cases based on other issues (NCAA violations, Bimbo afflictions, behavior that embarrasses the university, etc…). We'll see what happens with Bo. If the issues within the program (turnovers, poor tackling, S&C, etc…) don't get resolved, I highly doubt he'll be able to continue winning at his current rate. If somehow he does get them resolved, more games will be won. Either way, the decision to hire or fire him will be more straightforward. Neither Callahan nor Hitler will have anything to do with it.

Every time I hear someone say "Well, with our players, facilities and schedule, "anyone" can do better than Bo", I naturally think of Callahan.

I didn't say "anyone could do better" but I don't think keeping Bo because Callahan was a bad hire is a legit reason to keep Bo. I agree that he should be fired based on the product on the field. So how many years do you give him to get it fixed. We've been one year away for a lot of years

Pops says:

Brew distorts it to:

Pretty tricky, eh?

He said what I said he said. The distortion is yours.

I truly object to fans who would prefer that we lose in order to make it easier to fire a coach they don't like. I'd prefer we win all of our games, regardless of who is coaching.

Perhaps I overdid it…...

The bolded sentence is why.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back