• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Winter conditioning seems safe this year

I am a fan of our head coach and administration all pulling in the same direction for our S&C staff. So whoever Scott chooses for that, i'm cool with. But anyone that has followed me in regard to S&C talk on here, my #1 pain point for any program is injury prevention. And that is my main issue with what is going on now, as we are doing things in the weight room that cause injury, and our injuries in 2018 were probably the worst i've seen in a decade. That being said, whether it be due to the injuries or just from other data collected, we have started to incorporate things that help with injury prevention that our strength coaches were very much against publicly. I'm glad to see that, but our core values may be too much to overcome for those things to be effective.

I don't take much from year 1 in a strength program, which is why I don't harp on the injuries unless i'm giving an analysis or someone asks me. I do find it interesting that fans think we all of a sudden don't have soft-tissue injuries just because Frost doesn't talk about them unless they are season ending. Good on them for figuring that out in North Stadium. There can be a lot that is bad from a previous regime, you need a good 18 months to dictate anything. I don't really agree with how we go about things, but as long as kids are staying on the field in 2019, i'll have no issue. The #1 way to get better is to play football and not be sitting out. If we go year 2 like they did at UCF and have zero injuries (still find that hard to believe), Duval will go down as a genius in my eyes. I just don't see that happening with what we do. The good news is with how we train, our players will absolutely look the part.

Simply, i'm not a Duval guy in terms of how we train. But more than that, I love our coaches and administration not stepping on each others toes and all pulling in the same direction. Whoever is on that train going in the same direction, i'm cool with.

I think I'm more confused than before. :)

I've been training for team and individual sports since the late '70's and have seen a lot of people puke, a few pass out or have some form of heat stroke or dehydration, but other than a 50 some year old guy who had a heart attack in a gym in Richmond, no hospitalizations. I've worked myself as hard as could reasonably be expected for a human being and still never ended up in the hospital. It's not a 'normal' thing for weight training and conditioning and anyone who thinks otherwise just isn't familiar with how the human body works.
Bingo. Rhabdomyolysis is pretty rare.

Familiarity with the athletes will reduce these type of instances as well. Face it, different guys react to this type of mental and physical challenge in a unique manner. Some are drama queens, some puke easily and often, some suffer in silence (to the point they shouldn’t). If I have a kid who is out of shape, AND a drama queen, I could see the staff not taking the athlete’s discomfort as seriously as they should have. The same would be true if they had someone pushing themselves beyond what they should, and be suffering in silence. The assumption someone is just a beast might cause them to miss there was a serious medical issue brewing.

I’m sure there were mistakes made that will be less likely to occur this year, for multiple reasons.
I was a puker. Lunge matrix at the end of a heavy leg day got me every time. Up downs at the end of wrestling practice did the same.

I do not think anyone said it isn't.

Right, but they aren't as appreciative of how rare when only using the team numbers to rule it as a statistical anomaly rather than focusing on how rare it actually is. If it happens one time it's a problem.

I was a puker. Lunge matrix at the end of a heavy leg day got me every time. Up downs at the end of wrestling practice did the same.

Same here. Almost every quarter mile I ran in competition would empty my stomach. Eventually, I think it started to effect my performance, I was getting sick of puking (har har). :Puke:

(of course, it's arguable that if I wasn't puking occasionally in practice, I wasn't working hard enough...and that is probably true, but I'll have to share the blame with coach on that one.)

Last edited:
Same here. Almost every quarter mile I ran in competition would empty my stomach. Eventually, I think it started to effect my performance, I was getting sick of puking (har har). :Puke:

(of course, it's arguable that if I wasn't puking occasionally in practice, I wasn't working hard enough...and that is probably true, but I'll have to share the blame with coach on that one.)
My first 5 years in the Corps at the end of every PFT. I would puke at the end of the 3 mile run. When I was young I used to think if I did not do so I was not trying hard enough.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back