• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Winter conditioning seems safe this year

EastOfEden

Junior Varsity
15 Year Member
Seems like staff learned a bit from last year. At least we haven't heard anything about guys really hurting themselves this year, have we?i

No, it's was the medical staff's fault. And thanks to them! I figured last year's "issues" were caused by assumptions on many sides. Hopefully it will all be roses or better at the end of this season. :)
lol well played...

I’m just so floored with the marketing job Duval and Frost have done. If I paid 50 dollars to a local trainer and he sent my kid to the hospital then came with “your son was out of shape, I even scaled my workout back”, I’d probably break his jaw. We pay our guy 400k and they have somehow convinced our entire fan base that the kids were just not conditioned at all which is why they went to the hospital, as well as avoided suspension. It’s truly magical.

Nothing wrong with the staff having learned something from last years' result. They probably should have known a bit more than they did when they began the workouts last year.

But my point is that it looks as though we aren't going to be losing kids becasue they get seious injury from these workouts this year. That's great.

you would think a big time football program would have players in pretty good shape but from our recent nfl camp results we have been lacking for several years. new football staff's fault? don't see it that way. they got it scaled back as soon as they figured out how big the problem really was.

lol well played...

I’m just so floored with the marketing job Duval and Frost have done. If I paid 50 dollars to a local trainer and he sent my kid to the hospital then came with “your son was out of shape, I even scaled my workout back”, I’d probably break his jaw. We pay our guy 400k and they have somehow convinced our entire fan base that the kids were just not conditioned at all which is why they went to the hospital, as well as avoided suspension. It’s truly magical.

So I wasnt even going to dive into this, but really?

Is there sarcasm here that I'm missing?

you would think a big time football program would have players in pretty good shape but from our recent nfl camp results we have been lacking for several years. new football staff's fault? don't see it that way. they got it scaled back as soon as they figured out how big the problem really was.

The entire thing is perplexing.

1. That the players were THAT out of shape
- as you say, this is borne out by the pro day stats, etc. We did a good job under Pelini for the skill players, IMO, but that got worse the past few years, and both did a spotty to poor job of developing linemen
2. That so many got hurt
- I'm assuming we are partly talking about the Rhabdo incidents, current science seems to suggest that rhabdo isn't due to being out of shape, but simply from pushing too far. That's on the staff for not doing a better job or managing and monitoring, but it was only a couple and not like the Iowa outbreak a few years back, and ALSO
- it's also though that certain supplements, pre-work out things can make it more likely, might be a disconnect between what players take and what the trainers know
-I've seen some of the comments on using poor form to get to higher weights and couldn't disagree with that more
3. That our supposed higher level recruits didn't handle the kind of offseason that Frost got out of a lowly AAC program who was happy to get 3 star players and usually settled for less
- this is something that has to change.

Bottom line for us is that we need a cutting edge S&C, diet, nutrition program to do what we want. I'm pretty confident that Frost will get us to that point. To me the UCF team under Frost was vastly better conditioned and tougher than Riley's teams and even better than our team last year.

Think about that for a moment. We need to get to the point where we can physically compete with an AAC program

Last edited:
I agree its better sometimes to just to let it go but I cant.

Out of all the workouts last year very few players were injured or hurt during spring conditioning. Think about it, all those workouts and the per workout v's injury ratio in my mind was low. I understand its never good to have players going to the hospital. I still believe the majority of the team was "out of shape" for what Frost and company wanted. Now players know what is expected and are better prepared and have not been lazy in the off season. To me this shows a change in culture.

Not that I'm old but older, but growing up we had guys puking and everything else the first few weeks of football and wrestling practice every year. Once people got into shape all that seemed to stop.

lol well played...

I think the blame goes a to a lot of places potentially.
1. It could partly be because the players were not used to this type of work out and were taking unknown supplements.
2. The old staf may well not have pushed them hard enough meaning they were not ready for a "real" work out.
3. The new staff should have kept a closer eye for sure. Let me just say that as a coach watching that many kids before you really know them is not easy. After a while you will get to know who to watch closer and who knows more about what they are doing.

All this to say. As long as nothing like this happens again. We should probably let it go.

lol well played...

So, are you saying they lied to us?

Or is it sarcasm like Philly is saying?

So I wasnt even going to dive into this, but really?

I’m a big fan of ***. I really appreciate his knowledge of football posts and his comments have a lot of credibility with me.

That being said, I’ve noticed more than a tinge of “the bitter” toward this staff in his posts that relate to SF and his strength program. Just criticism is always warranted, of course, but the subject of these kids having suffered injury seems to usually evoke many negative responses from *** when the discussion of them appears.

I’m not privy to anything but the staff seems to have learned and has gotten past it (based on discussions here). Perhaps I just am drinking “cool-aid but the devious behavior implied (or that I have inferred) just doesn’t fit my image of SF’s staff.

Crossfit, BJJ, Wrestling work-outs can all lead to rhabdomyolysis. That the new staff's methods lead to that tells me two things that I'm not too worried about:

1. Kids were working. HARD.
2. They were not in shape to do that level of work, and when things went bad they got the treatment they needed.

Perfect? No. But quite possibly as good an outcome as we could expect.

*** is one of the stalwarts here, just not sure where he is coming from with his comments in this post. It isn't all on the staff, the lifters need to tell someone if they are struggling. I haven't seen anything so far that leads me to believe that Scott will put a kid at risk. If it happens again I may join ***'s parade.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back