• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Where *** was wrong

Our offense is so predictable. I commented on this in the gameday thread. One series we get the ball and the first play you could tell a quick pass to Robinson was going to be play. It gained 5 yards or so so we come to line and I said qb draw and voila! a qb draw for short gain. Third down play we come to line and same formation and guess what? QB draw! Gained about a yard or so leaving us to punt! If I am sitting here, a couch potato, can read what the next play is you know a veteran d-coordinator can. It was same way with Callahan. You could tell exactly what his next play would be by formation and personnel! We need to be able to do multiple things out of every formation and personnel groups. We are way to predictable!
Haha! I do the same thing. It’s not a good thing if I can predict the play. To be fair, if we predict a QB draw we’ll be right more often than we’re wrong. LOL I’m all in on Frost, at least for another year or two, and willing to see if he can and will learn from his mistakes. But man, it’s baffling how bad this offense is week after week. Something has to change, and soon.

As for coaching, we cant expect SF to come into seasons as if he'd worked out every or most situations.

He,s on a learning curve, where what he's doing is working most the time, but consistency just isnt there yet.
He hasnt learned to tweak the things that need tweaking.
We see it all the time,Hermans unstoppable, at Houston, then...texas.

Why does Saban just keep rolling in coaches from everywhere, head coaches who are willing to take underling jobs?
Because he is smart enough to know there's aspects in each of those coaches that havnt found those tweaks to make them as consistent as their once promising careers seemed, but are allowed to be overseen by Saban, to learn them, hone them.

We still have a young coach, he's telling us what we need to hear,not want to hear.
SF has said, he and the staff would have done things differently, now, lets let him tweak those things, then see what happens.
That’s where I’m at. I think we have to accept that he’s getting on the job training. We’ve invested greatly into him at this point, and giving him a couple more years to see if he can figure it out isn’t going to leave us any worse off than if we play the coaching carousel game again. I personally am willing to sit back and see what happens through 2022. I do see progress on defense and special team. Maybe next season the offense will get it going again and we’ll see all three phases performing well in a singe season. That would be a welcome change.

My suggestion to Frost, stop being an offensive coordinator and start being a head coach. This team needs you to be a head coach.

Frost has an AD and department giving total support and working in unison. Riley had an AD micromanaging, interfering, and undercutting his ability to run his program as he saw fit. What's scary is this thought...give Riley Moos as AD and an athletic department working in unison and his teams would have ax murdered Frost's teams.
Hip, Hip, Hoo-Mother-Fing-Ray!! ;)

Why is that not shocking? Took you 3 years to believe Riley sucked. And now, you’re saying Frosts teams are better than Riley’s? They aren’t. It’s a chitshow.
You lost all right to talk crap about who said what about whom when it comes to coaches. For years you proclaimed Frost would come here and turn it around immediately. You also were flapping your gums about Justin Fuentes being a great coach. Glass houses and stones, man.

You lost all right to talk crap about who said what about whom when it comes to coaches. For years you proclaimed Frost would come here and turn it around immediately. You also were flapping your gums about Justin Fuentes being a great coach. Glass houses and stones, man.
I did. Indeed. I, so far am wrong. I’ve admitted as much. Fuentes is better than anything NU has had since I said that also. ;)

Our line seems like some of the players lack flexibility; almost like their too muscle bound. Not all but some of them and it only takes one or two to expose problems with an O line.

Is it possible to be in the weight room too much? Our guys were lifting all during the Covid lockdown while others were home. If we are emphasizing the wrong type of weight gain and strength conditioning did our "advantage" during Covid actually become a disadvantage? I have no idea, just spit balling.
Preaching to the choir. We are on pace for our worst season in recent memory while we worked out with our staff all offseason and other teams just sent kids home.

Y’all are thinking to much. Bottom line is ya can’t run the ball if ya don’t wanna run the ball

Would you say that it is an indictment of Held as RB coach? Frost as playcaller? Austin as OL coach? Or just not very good RB’s at this point. It is definitely one of the weakest parts of the offense. If RBs can’t get yards, the entire offense is toast.
They are super young outside of mills. Losing mills hurts BIGTIME in my opinion.

Preaching to the choir. We are on pace for our worst season in recent memory while we worked out with our staff all offseason and other teams just sent kids home.

That is one thing that is very frustrating. It seemed COVID may have been an aid to this team this year, with them able to train when others couldn't and keeping players negative when other teams had players going positive. All it seems to have done was make Nebraska available as a punching bag, when others have avoided difficult games.

SF is not supposed to be learning on the job For what we paid him, he should be a fully accomplished Power 5 coach - and he's not. We regularly lose some of our best recruits soon after they come here and they succeed elsewhere. So we are short handed. Then we stick with players that can't do their fundamental jobs such as centering the ball correctly every play (centering the ball for gods sakes!). Then we try to use an offensive scheme that needs an incredibly talented set of skill players and we either don't recruit them (QB) or they leave when they see no development. Then our play calling is so elemental that couch potatoes can tell what the next play will probably be. Then our players skills seem to diminish the longer they are here. Then its topped off by press comments by a coach that basically whines "they are picking on us," and a fan base that attributes every loss to a penalty called incorrectly against us or not called against the other team..

It's a mess. I don't think any of it looks at all like Nebraska football, be it ground game football, passing football, any combination, or public relations.

I've been wrong about multiple things on here before. I remember telling people before the 2019 season that we would see a ton of 2 TE sets because we were inexperienced at WR and we had a lot of experience with Stoll and Allen/Rafdal. We proceed to barely do it and I look foolish. Fast forward to preseason 2020, I sit on HuskerMax proclaiming that with Austin as the run game coordinator and with the most starters returning on offense in the B1G, the most starts returning on the OL in the conference, a big downhill RB returning in Mills, and again needing to groom young WRs for the second year in a row, we would be running north/south on people all day long. Our OL has had 3 years with our strength staff and they know the scheme now.

Best Whoopsie Daisy GIFs | Gfycat

To date, here are the guys listed as RB on the roster and their carries with yardage through five games:

Dedrick Mills 31 carries for 95 yards and 2 touchdowns
Marvin Scott 23 carries for 60 yards and 0 touchdowns
Rahmir Johnson 6 carries for 26 yards and 1 touchdown
Ronald Thompkins 5 carries for 24 yards and 0 touchdowns

I really have no idea what is going on, but to me this is the root of most our problems. I can sit here and talk penalties with you, special teams, but sticking with offense, if you are a play-caller, if you don't have a single RB over 100 yards after 5 games you are in serious trouble. Is it lack of a push and S/C? Is it lack of coaching/technique? Is it bad play calling? I don't know but we have to insert our QB as a +1 in the run game to get any sort of rushing yardage.

It seems crazy to type those things out when we quite literally at the beginning of the year could have started the exact same offensive line as we did in 2019 where Mills had success with over 5 ypc. One theme I would like to put to bed is "how young" our offensive line is, take a look with returning starts going against Ohio State:

Jaimes - 33
Wilson - 21
Jurgens - 12
Farniok - 28
Benhart - 0
TOTAL - 94
*feel free to add Hixson with 12 starts if you would like, but since he hasn't started this year I didn't want to skew the results

vs Ohio State, they only had 3 returning starters who compiled 54 returning starts
vs Northwestern they only had 3 returning starters who compiled 15 returning starts
vs Penn State they had 4 returning starters who compiled 78 returning starts
vs Illinois they had 3 returning starters who compiled 75 career starts
vs Iowa they had 3 returning starters who compiled 55 returning starts

I found this fascinating.... we had 106 starts returning that we could have used, so the "we were young on the offensive line" is a terrible excuse considering the fact that we didn't have to be young. Secondly, Illinois had one returning starter who switched over from DL in 2018 and then a new starter this year that moved to offense from defense. I understand people will say "but we ended up starting Piper" and again the counter would be that we still have 3 returning starters on the line, with returning starts still in the 70s. I also find it interesting that the team with more returning starters and the closest returning starts to us was the team we actually beat (Penn State) I also understand that Jurgens is new and that's where people would go too. But the long and short of it is we actually performed better in 2019 than we are in 2020 in the run game, and we quite literally could have every piece still here that we had in 2019. If we are young, if we are retuning less starters, if we are returning less starts, then it's based on a decision we made. We can't have the most veteran OL returning for the 2020 season then have our excuse be "but we are young."

But to summarize... what is going wrong? I still have no clue. Long thread to basically say I was wrong and have no idea where we have faltered and why we are worse now than we were last year. You literally have every single player back that started last year where we had much more success than this year.
Great post, I think we are simply an decent but undisciplined team with a tough schedule. I dont know the ins and outs of football, but if I was an opposing coach seeing average QB play, average at best WRs, and an inconsistent OL, I would stack the box.

I imagine the lack of bowl practices mixed with a lost spring practice set things back, but until DONU learns to not beat itself, the close losses will continue

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back