• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Where *** was wrong

Sunday and Monday - coaches work on upcoming game plan and review last game with player grades. The coaches should be working on game plans during offseason. Most teams have same coaches and coordinators from year to year. Should have a basic idea on how they want to game plan each game in advance of season. In the week before, they just need to revisit and see if opposing team is doing anything much different in current season compared to year before. They should have a game film coordinator (non coaching positions) watching for any new game plans from these teams in current year.

Monday practice - work on only fundamentals. Snapping, proper blocking technique, proper tackling, holding onto ball, stripping the ball, looking back to intercept etc - over and over in individual practice rooms (Wr group, QB group) and work on special teams. Have players meet with head coach, coordinator and their group coach (WR, TE etc) on what they did right and did wrong in previous game and in practice. Heavy workout day upper body and sprints.

Tuesday practice - film study only - show offense the opposing defense and how they want to game plan. Show defense the opposing offense and how you want to game plan. Head coach, coordinator and specialty coach meet with groups (LB's cornerbacks etc) to go over game plan and what they want each player to focus on and do. Heavy lower body workout day and balance, quickness drills.

Wed and Thursday practice
Pick 30 plays (both offense and defense) that they think will succeed in a game. Work on those 30 plays over and over during practice, until perfected. Have 1st and 2nd string players practice those plays over and over against the 3rd and fourth strings running the opposing teams offense. Scrimmaging. Also do special teams work - Have 3rd and 4th string practice the 30 plays when the 1st and 2nd string are working on special teams. No workouts

Friday - light workout day - reps not weight. abbreviated versions of fundamentals and walk through of 30 plays on offense and defense. abbreviated special teams - meet with each group (OL, DL, TE etc) to focus on assignments against particular opponent.

Sunday - Players on own to watch film. No workouts.

I think they are making things too complicated and not having enough communication with players. We should have the talent to beat teams if we are able to execute a sound game plan. Keep the player engaged by having meetings. Coaches should know if effort is there.

Our offense is so predictable. I commented on this in the gameday thread. One series we get the ball and the first play you could tell a quick pass to Robinson was going to be play. It gained 5 yards or so so we come to line and I said qb draw and voila! a qb draw for short gain. Third down play we come to line and same formation and guess what? QB draw! Gained about a yard or so leaving us to punt! If I am sitting here, a couch potato, can read what the next play is you know a veteran d-coordinator can. It was same way with Callahan. You could tell exactly what his next play would be by formation and personnel! We need to be able to do multiple things out of every formation and personnel groups. We are way to predictable!

Something I've been wondering about is why we don't move the pocket more for the sake of our QBs and OL. Neither are very good. Moving the pocket for some roll out throws seems to be something I see a lot of other teams doing when they are suspect in these areas. It's easier to block, particularly on the back side and lends itself to RPO's and a running QB.

I know its the NFL, but I feel like the Browns are very consistently moving the pocket for Baker. Verduzco is supposed to have an expertise in "unconventional" throws. It seems like a moving pocket should be something that we are exploring more.

Possiblities for failure of the O-line would seem to be:
1. Scheme is too complicated so that line calls lead to failure to block the correct people and thus multiple tackles for loss by opponent defense.
2. Scheme is too simple, defenses can tell when we line up what we are going to do and thus jump gaps faster than o-line can initiate blocking assignments.
3. Playing the wrong o-linemen. Jurgens repetitive high snaps and Farniaks lack of mobility are incapacitating the line's ability to execute Scott's offense. replacements with others from the deepest set of O-lineman in 10 years should have occurred by now.
4. Something else?

What seem inconceivable is that no changes have been made in this crucial part of the offense to get better.
Is the team so fragile that they can not stand to be told that they are not doing correctly?
Scott/O-line coach are so wrong with is assessment of Jurgens and the impact of bad snaps on his offense.
As Stryker pointed out, it costed DONU 40% of its offensive possessions!
Only the 1983 "scoring Machine offense could afford that, and maybe not even that team. :(

I am beginning to think that "potential" is now my least favorite word in the English language.

GBR

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back