• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What's it going to take to beat Wisconsin

Riley says it all the time, but I do believe it has to be balanced.

When you look at our offense at this time, the running game needs the passing game or it won't be successful. And the passing game needs the running game or it won't be successful. Neither the running game or the passing game are good enough to do it on their own. Our running game is not good enough if they're not respecting the pass, and the reverse is also true.

It may sound like coach speak, but I really believe if we aren't balanced, we don't win. We're just not good enough yet to rely on one.

Last edited:
Wisconsin's D will get after it / us.
The key will be how that is handled from our line, play calling and TL. If we don't respond to that it could get ugly. Not B1G Championship ugly, but an L. We have some positive vibes emerging and the Blackshirts are getting better, though still a work in progress. I would love nothing more than to see the Huskers win in what I believe will be a very memorable environment that evening. Especially as I am bringing my oldest daughter to the game. My biggest concern is that I can't shake our inconsistency on offense, and the fact that Wisconsin has been very consistent for a while now. We need this win badly. It is a win that means way more than just this game imo. I can't wait. Hopefully the 15 hour long drive home on Monday will be with a big smile on our faces.

GBR :Huskerflag:

i doubt the game plan has ever been to pass all day
Well there is the punt after three attempts and the seemingly more recent pick six too. ;)

Again kidding.

I really want Riley to do well. I want the coaches to do well too. The problem I have seen though is that sometimes the coaches (Langsdorf specifically here) out thinks himself, and tries to be smarter than what is needed. Everyone makes mistakes, and everyone can grow from those mistakes. And I am hoping that Langsdorf does not try to out think himself with a pass first, pass second, pass again, and then maybe run sprinkled in here and there type of approach. I think what wins the game against Wisconsin is really going to be clock control, and wearing Wisconsin out, and taking over in the 4th quarter.

Riley says it all the time, but I do believe it has to be balanced.

When you look at our offense at this time, the running game needs the passing game or it won't be successful. And the passing game needs the running game or it won't be successful. Neither the running game or the passing game are good enough to do it on their own. Our running game is not good enough if they're not respecting the pass, and the reverse is also true.

It may sound like coach speak, but I really believe if we aren't balanced, we don't win. We're just not good enough yet to rely on one.
yep. this team just isn't going to line up and badger the badgers with 60 runs and 15 passes. if it is unbalanced significantly to the pass it will be because they got down big. if nu ends up 50-50ish it will likely have been a tight game.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. If the game plan is to just pass the ball all day, I was using the "50 times" as a very poor illustration of that, then I think Wisconsin wins big. I do not think Nebraska has a QB capable of being able to just pass and pass and pass, and pick apart defenses. If they have to pass because they are down so bad, then that is a different story.

I honestly think that Wisconsin will be "tired" and emotionally exhausted after this win against Northwestern, and the best way to beat them in Lincoln is to run, and wear them down. By the 4th quarter, Nebraska should be able to push them around

But Wisconsin is tough. They ran a tough gauntlet all year last year. I'm sure a game vs. Northwestern that went down to the last play won't phase them .

Northwestern managed a total of 25 yards rushing against Wisconsin. So all we need is eight times that to win???? I hope that happens, but hard to be optimistic on that one.

Was sifting through paperwork kind of watching/listening to the NW-Wiscy game yesterday. Just before the NW near-comeback one of the co-announcers said something about Wisconsin's DC Jim Leonhard "doesn't like an opposing QB to get comfortable".

You can bet the farm they are going to come after Lee in some very creative ways. What Nebraska needs are some better answers to that upfield pressure than they had 2 weeks ago. If they can't find ways to counter that pressure with positive plays it's going to be a very long day for Lee and the offense.

This will be my first home game since last year's Duck win. I'm going because I have a feeling it's going to be a good one. Also I bought my plane ticket before the NIU loss...:Cheers::Woohoo2:

balance on offense -mistake free
front 7 on defense -slow their run game and hurry their pass game
outscore their special teams
not too much to ask is it?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back